This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  guy parker 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

Sondra and I discovered on odd thing the other night: If two people are extremely close together (close enough for one to be within the other’s shield), and they both shoot a deathhead up, it makes some really neat noise, but never comes back down!

This happened twice, been meaning to test it with a better view so I could see if they even went up or not.

Bug, or feature? 😉

cbx

Side note: Should someone really be able to use fuel and go through your shield? I think they should go BOOM if they try. 😉

The Funkinator
    Participant

If you want to see something really funny, move two tanks to the exact same position (it is possible), then.

Tank A fires a heavy riot bomb up at 1000 power.
    Tank B fires a ton of dirt up at 1000 power.

(without parachutes turned on)

I’ve had really weird results doing this, tanks floating in mid air, kills & self kills with ton of dirt, one client showing a mountain with a tiny whole in the middle the other showing a mountain with a big hole.

Willis
    Participant

Cbx, I tested this on my own..

The same vertex rule is the antagonist in your perdicament…

A Mirv, Spread Mirv, or Death Head – Need to reach the vertex, or height of their flight, before it is allowed to function.

Personally, I sooner prefer the old method of the weapon having its own explosive inpact if it reached land before expanding. It’s much more logical. All those explosive warheads need to detonate on SOMETHING. Besides why should those have the rights to DUD? Any other powered weapon would weild the same results (see definition of CBX).

=======FOUND IT==========
    Heres the issue CBX and its nothing to do with sheilds.

The fact you and Sondra were located identicly on each other, caused a conflict between the projectiles launching point, and the units *existance* space. (Every unit fires from the same spot in prospective to their location – and every unit has the same size and shape that litterly represents their location) The projectiles launched will instantly enter the opposing unit’s space of existance. Becuase the projectile has NOT yet reached it’s vertex – the weapon shall DUD.
    =======================

In fact, Gavin one flaw I see – a players sheild, will NOT deflect a players own projectiles. Under any conditions. I posited 2 tanks on a even terrain within 300 power distance of each other. Placed sheilds on both.

When unit A shot at unit B, projectile bounced off unit B’s sheild, bounced back to unit A and flew though unit A’s sheild as if the sheild did not exist. Heck I just KILLED myself doing that method.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Both of those issues mentioned about one’s own shot going through his own shields and about things duding before apex are both for the sake of the original Scorched.

In my opinion if you shoot straight up in the air you don’t really deserve to have your own shield save you. The ONLY way I believe that should change is if wind is an issue instead of a 90 degree angle.

I actually don’t mind things the way they are, just when that issue happens that CBX spoke of then it’s a problem.

gray
    Participant

On a similar note I found the follwowing situation interesting.

In a team game I used fuel to move right next to another tank. This was an obtuse strategic move since it makes it unwise to shot us by either team. It also makes it unwise to kill the neighbor since you are within the blast raduis yourself. I also wanted to see what my force shield would do if it covered the enemy tank. It was large enough to cover both tanks. When the enemy tank fired my shield evaporated, even though he was shoting out of it like I would. Note that no damage was done to me or him, the shield just vanished. Enevtually my team told me to get out of dodge so I used more fuel to split. We won the round but it was odd.

I was kind of hoping the shield would work normally and protect both tanks. This would be especially handy in a team game where you need to protect a fellow team member.

Or is the idea of shared resources a little scary?

Deathstryker
    Participant

Apparently, Gavin’s got some issues to fix. He’ll either fix them or prevent tanks from moving so close to each other.

Willis
    Participant

Well.. this senerio and yet other technicalitys of sheilds should be addressed.. but I remembred something.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but back in classic 2D – did not useing fuel and camping on top of another’s tank slowly destroy it? (thats yet something else – you could drive ON anothers sheild, not into).

Here’s my logical deduction – IF sheild is present, fuel cannot carry a unit close enough to pass though the sheild. MAYBE allow unit to drive on top of opposing sheild. Thus allowing slow damage per turn (who’s dumb enough to let someone sit on their own sheild anyway?). But if the sheild is NOT present, and alternate unit is on the perimater of the sheild (it would apear on the alternate unit) – sheild cannot be called. If alternate unit is however within sheild perimater, sheild can be called.

Likewise maybe have it where no 2 units can litterly drive to exist at the same location at the same time. Thus voiding the possibility of instant collision detection.

All out going projectile firings are allowed, anything coming twoards the sheild is reflective – regardless of who its from. Oh and Deathstryker, my example was NOT a 90 degree angle, it was counter bouncing my own projectile.

One other sheild delema (I know this is off topic but..) that I wish to jesture on – are the Deflect sheilds, the ones that only apear on the top. I noticed that they must receive damage even from napalm and rollers before unit is damaged. I think this is illogical. Its a top-only sheild, weapons that are shot below, especially ground-based weapons, should always be able to bypass this sheild.

gray
    Participant

here is a good one for you… just tonight Sondra turned on a Force Shield and waltzed right on top of my tank. I had just truced with Saddistic Fngus about 1 square away. On the next round I had to skip. Sondra moved again to on top of Fungus. However he threw a Funky bomb, intended for her, and it blew me to pieces. The next round they blew each other up with 1 power shots. Somebody else lived while buried in dirt.

This is probably the craziest use of Shields and Fuel I have ever seen. But interesting.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Well.. this senerio and yet other technicalitys of sheilds should be addressed.. but I remembred something.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but back in classic 2D – did not useing fuel and camping on top of another’s tank slowly destroy it? (thats yet something else – you could drive ON anothers sheild, not into).

Yes you could drive on another’s shield however sitting there did not destroy it. If you fell on it from a mountain though (even with parachutes) you’d do considerable damage to it.

@willis wrote:

Here’s my logical deduction – IF sheild is present, fuel cannot carry a unit close enough to pass though the sheild. MAYBE allow unit to drive on top of opposing sheild. Thus allowing slow damage per turn (who’s dumb enough to let someone sit on their own sheild anyway?). But if the sheild is NOT present, and alternate unit is on the perimater of the sheild (it would apear on the alternate unit) – sheild cannot be called. If alternate unit is however within sheild perimater, sheild can be called.

Here’s my exact thoughts on it. If someone has a shield a person should not be able to go through it but they should be allowed to be on top BUT only be able to get there if they can reach the top half of the sheild (like in the original)

As for when a shield is not present, I am split evenly on it.

First solution would be if an opponent happens to be in shield range when wanting to activate shield, make it not allow you to do so, so that you would have to destroy the opponent first.

An alternate solution would be to allow a person to go ahead and use the shield and allow protection for the opponent ala Scorched Earth style.

I don’t think in any circumstance should a player be allowed to be on top of a non-shielded player as you’d have to blow yourself up to get him off. Maybe when a player lands on top of a player have him slide off of him and be next to him. In any case, I think there should be some clipping added to keep people from going inside of each other and creating some of the issues we are seeing.

@willis wrote:

Likewise maybe have it where no 2 units can litterly drive to exist at the same location at the same time. Thus voiding the possibility of instant collision detection.

I agree, see above.

@willis wrote:

Oh and Deathstryker, my example was NOT a 90 degree angle, it was counter bouncing my own projectile.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Willis.

cbx550f
    Participant

I was just thinking – ODE is used for the physics of the projectiles, right Gavin? (http://ode.org

HAving played around with ODE for physics on my own, I *know* that if you put two objects in the same physical space, they will detect a collision and bounce away from eachother at incredible velocities, thus, the DHs likely acheived escape velocity! 🙂

BTW: I consider this topic a curiousity, not a bug or a problem. 😉

cbx

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

I have already requested that a while back

spending 30 grand on a weapon that duds isnt so great

you want some kinda poof for the cash and theres nothing more embaressing then watching every1 point and laugh because you just blew 30,000 and no poof or kills.

he never wrote back on that matter so I take it no was the answer.

we just have to try and aim them a bit better and if it happens in
    front of alot of players just disconnect turn the lights off and ssmoke a carton of ciggs it’l be alright :S

guy parker
    Participant

I saw the game where CBX launched 2 DH and only noise happened. at first i thought he was jacking around and launching them at 0 degrees, but they would have showed up if he did since he was on flat ground, instead they didn’t show up at all.

i also think it would be nice if they made some kind of explosion, even just a nuke, if they hit something before the apex. as an experienced player it puts you to shame to dud one, but a lot of newbies dud them on accident, or attempting a 0 degrees elevation shot. the cave is also infamous for dud-ing all kinds of weapons on it’s impervious ceiling.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.