This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 6 years ago.

• Author

naka
    Participant

My 5 cents – I think that circle should be vertically aligned with the internal frame border – like this:

PS: i used green for visualisation only. Dont confuse it with ‘green glow’ effect. 🙂
    hmmm. maybe red labels with green glow circle?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hi. thanks. yes, i think i agree. i cant change that at the moment – maybe later. http://scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=63616#p63615

http://scorched3d.co.uk/
    http://scorched3d.co.uk/downloads.php

dont forget to have a play with the banner toggle switch:
    [attachment=0:wv0ofgr0]toggle0.jpg[/attachment:wv0ofgr0]

*it probably wouldnt hurt to clean up the website related threads and put them all in one place. im starting to lose track and it might be nice to have a known bugs and fixes list.

example – the flash banner won’t be cached in safari 5 for windows. unofficially, the fix is to use a proper browser/OS, not some bastardised, crippled and rebadged kde rip-off. officially, we need a nice neat list singing high praise for apple and the excellent work they do, and blaming the web designer etc.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Having a little issue with the new front page.
    Linux + FF 5.0 1680×1050
    Here is what its supposed to look like
    [attachment=0:11ne8opk]correct.jpg[/attachment:11ne8opk]
    And what I am getting it might be something wrong with my browser.
    [attachment=1:11ne8opk]writing-over.jpg[/attachment:11ne8opk]

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

lovely. thanks irish – that’s one to fix. which linux dist? id guess it’s a missing fonts problem, maybe defaulting to a sans-serif that doesnt scale well with em? we’re currently font-family: “Lucida Grande”,”Lucida Sans Unicode”,”Trebuchet MS”,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em;

i’ll add a few more for linux. odd that it’s just that one section. the fonts are inherited from the body.

ps: see edit above:

*it probably wouldnt hurt to clean up the website related threads and put them all in one place. im starting to lose track and it might be nice to have a known bugs and fixes list.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Thrax can merge your posts 😀

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

no rush. things seem quiet at the moment.

irish, i cant replicate that.

this is how it looked in iceweasel 3.5.16 in debian 6:
    [attachment=0:2faat9k3]iceweasel.png[/attachment:2faat9k3]
    looks ok. no idea what font it’s using.

ive set that section to a fixed 12pt size. dont know if that’ll fix. if not, could you have a grep through xlsfonts?
    xlsfonts | grep somefont
    it’s no trouble to add an extra font or two to the list if you can suggest any.

unofficially, the fix is to use a proper browser…

i dont mean that, especially when it comes to linux browsers. please report any and all quirks or problems, and i’ll do my best to fix.

a note here for linux users:

we do need flash 10. debian, for example, comes with GNU Gnash as an alternative to the closed source plugin, http://www.gnu.org/s/gnash/, and with the greatest respect for the devs and the open source initiative, it’s useless for anything contemporary.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/flashplugin-nonfree is easily installed.

one more note. i coded the video player myself for the purpose. had to, because we wanted to rely on youtube to cover the data transfer. i do expect a bug or two, so again – any reports of anything not working or amiss in any browser, are welcome and valuable.

*and please, frank and open opinions on the design and layout. dont be afraid to say you hate it. there’s nothing that cant be changed long-term. one of the biggest jobs in all this was porting every page to modern valid markup and layering up the banner app so we can change it easily and keep things evolving.

Tom.K
    Participant

Uh, would you mind just to disable buffering at video? I don’t kinda want to keep loading the same video over and over.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Uh, would you mind just to disable buffering at video? I don’t kinda want to keep loading the same video over and over.

the banner video should be cached and only downloaded once. which browser you using?

you should see a stop button bottom-right of the video. it’s more than a stop button. click that and it’ll store the setting across pages and it won’t load the video. you can also disable the flash completely with the toggle switch bottom right of the navigation panel (see the screenshot above).

Tom.K
    Participant

I’m kinda lost about it. It does seem to work for now, but it looked like it kept buffering even when it’s stopped. It’s okay for now, but can you just do minor fix:
    (Remove that in middle when video is not loaded)
    I’m just using Firefox 5.0 on Windows 7 SP1.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

oh. with you, sorry. i thought you were talking about the banner video.

i understand what youre asking. when you click stop, the ‘amount buffered’ meter stays where it was. yes, i can soon fix that next time i have files open.

thanks for the feedback.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

lovely. thanks irish – that’s one to fix. which linux dist? id guess it’s a missing fonts problem, maybe defaulting to a sans-serif that doesnt scale well with em? we’re currently font-family: “Lucida Grande”,”Lucida Sans Unicode”,”Trebuchet MS”,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em;

Ubuntu until this fall when I will probably switch. I don’t like Unity and they are going to not allow classic gnome as an option… We will see.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ive set that section to a fixed 12pt size. dont know if that’ll fix.

Thats the problem I had it set to default 22. Sorry to waste your time.
    I switched to “Trebuchet MS” as the default have to wait and see if I like it or not. Fonts have a way of messing with my eyes after a while.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

Ubuntu until this fall when I will probably switch.

suse’s quite nice these days. it’s a nice compromise between that ‘it’s my computer! give it back!” you get with anything too red had or nubuntu and the “it’s 2011! gosh that’s ugly and ‘open source’ dont we know it” you get with deb. lovely package management in suse if you use one click.

Tom.K
    Participant

I kinda remember that Firefox offers custom font support. Would it be a problem if you actually add that kind of support and use some other font?

And, though background is just video, is it possible to use WebGL as it could look really smiliar and probably better? (on the other hand, that won’t be supported by everyone)?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@tom.K wrote:

I kinda remember that Firefox offers custom font support. Would it be a problem if you actually add that kind of support and use some other font?

And, though background is just video, is it possible to use WebGL as it could look really smiliar and probably better? (on the other hand, that won’t be supported by everyone)?

the short answer is yes, and no, not really.

webm is excellent, which i think is what you mean for video. it’s not ready yet. the new browsers still have a few bugs when it comes to loops. there’s also the issue of data transfer. we’re using google’s flash youtube api.

maybe in a couple more years.

Tom.K
    Participant

In recent server events, once it says that I’m connected, then disconnected, then again connected, but i’m not actually connected anymore. Is it possible to add timestamp and timeline of events (left-right buttons) to see which event happened at specific time?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.