This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 6 years ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

http://scorched3d.co.uk/servers/serverbrowser_demo.php

thanks. see the post in the other forum for more

Thrax
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

http://scorched3d.co.uk/servers/serverbrowser_demo.php

thanks. see the post in the other forum for more

Loads and refresh’s for me just fine. but does it have to be every 5 seconds?
    Even once a minute shuold be plenty. Would also limit any resource leaks.

I liked the grey Round mod-Gears.. :c
    The Red one’s look more like a “Don’t come any closer!!” alert.
    The Black tank’s on gavin’s vanish into the background.

Any way to weed out the out-dated servers?
    No sence pointing them to extinct versions.

Gavin also shows which Active servers are running with only bots.
    Like your test server, no humans in a still-going game.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

thanks thrax. good suggestions. the current chat async queries run on a timeout that increases each time there’s no new data. this is a bit more complicated, but we may be able to do something similar.

dunno about the icons. armorwraith made me those – i thought they were nice. s’easily changed. bots/humans is on my list, that and a padlock or something for password protected servers.

thanks for the feedback. could you have one more test, leave the page open for a few mins and watch the memory for the process in task manager? let me know if it increases significantly.

outdated servers should disappear soon as theyre no longer on the main list xml. if it’s not working, i need to fix. i’ll double check.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

blue or green icons then?
    easy as pie to change.
    Armor

Thrax
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

blue or green icons then?
    easy as pie to change.
    Armor

@KB: Hmm.. Blue. Cool-ice blue. 😀 Green is the online icon.

@LT: Refreshing so often isn’t needed. If you are re-adding the chat-box
    to the page as we enjoyed, then every 30sec or so while we also chatted
    would be plenty.

Gavin had the right idea in having the list scroll-able. Compacting the page
    to have both server-list and chat-box seen together is perfect for those
    waiting. If you wanted to add anything.. I’d prefer a Sort-by option on
    the lists.
    Like most lists; clickable from the top-lables.

Sort-by : Current Order, Server-name, # of Humans, Mod-type, Play-mode, Team-type. etc.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

If you are re-adding the chat-box to the page as we enjoyed…

dont worry. the server list page isnt one id edit without final approval. i agree, the chat was a nice addition. i wasnt going to remove it, i just needed to separate it out while i worked on the list code.

@thrax wrote:

If you wanted to add anything.. I’d prefer a Sort-by option on
    the lists.

that’s a good idea. naka suggested player details in a tooltip on hover. what do you think about that? **edit: i dont want to overcomplicate things, but once the elaborate banner is tied down properly, we could think about user-selectable options for update frequency and list layout.

=============

while im here. could i get some feedback on the new stats pages? http://scorched3d.co.uk/stats/ http://scorched3d.co.uk/stats/recentevents.php?Prefix=1&Series=15 these i am editing live.

i had to strip away all the old styles. i felt bad, because the stats are a beast of a php project and must have been a labour of love. i need to be sure i do the system justice.

=============

mini-banner

ive added a toggle for the flash banner:

[attachment=0:2c7hgdz1]minibanner.png[/attachment:2c7hgdz1]

this was an accident, but if you used your imagination, could this be an electronic key of the kind a couple of people about to blow up a mountain might use to fire a large device? (you know, two keys turned in unison 30′ apart, with eery warning sirens, imminent catastrophe and no turning back once the weapon’s engaged. one is probably a clone of the other, sweating and cackling maniacally).
    [attachment=1:2c7hgdz1]minikey.gif[/attachment:2c7hgdz1]

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

…one is probably a clone of the other, sweating and cackling maniacally

no. it doesnt matter how many mad scientists i add to the story. i dont like it.

more feedback please.

this is what we have at the moment:
    [attachment=1:1s697mca]current.jpg[/attachment:1s697mca]

this is a new concept (just a mock up):
    [attachment=0:1s697mca]concept_square.jpg[/attachment:1s697mca]

any thoughts? all suggestions welcome. id like to evolve this navigation bar into something a bit more awesome.

we can match pretty much anything out there, technically, if not artistically. there are a couple of restrictions. the links need to be text only – the buttons will light up, but the links themselves need to be text. that, and it needs to be in keeping with the current metal texture.

Thrax
    Participant

hmm…. Lower grey buttons, with upper red Download circle.

break the mono-chrome, without overwhelming.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

sounds like a plan. thanks.

something like this then
    [attachment=1:2788mdgy]concept_square0a.jpg[/attachment:2788mdgy]
    also has to work with the forums
    [attachment=0:2788mdgy]concept_square0b.jpg[/attachment:2788mdgy]
    i think im happier with that. i’ll clean up a big red download button and chop up a sprite sheet for light-up edges for hover and active page.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

oooh yes, we needed some glowey blue 😀

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yeap. i thought perhaps blue for the active page and red on hover. here’s a sort of proof copy:
    [attachment=2:1ds4z9ch]buttons_demo.jpg[/attachment:1ds4z9ch]

i may as well post this too, the buttons, ready to chomp up – just as an extra backup ’cause it’s as good a place as any:
    [attachment=1:1ds4z9ch]buttons_draft.png[/attachment:1ds4z9ch]
    [attachment=0:1ds4z9ch]buttons_plate0.png[/attachment:1ds4z9ch]
    grey 31,33,39
    blue 26,168,216
    red 200,29,28

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Why a red download button? Doesnt red kinda mean stay away or danger? Whats wrong with a blue button, afterall the games gui is indeed blue. 🙂

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

do you know nothing about psychology?

‘look, you really, REALLY don’t want to press that one. DO NOT PUSH THAT RED BUTTON!’

: )

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Actually when I use the computer I do indeed avoid red, yellow, and orange download buttons, they make me nervous.

armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

maybe a green glow on the circular button. i didnt like the red much. the grey in the last image works quite well, i think.

*50,148,87. note – add strikethrough to forums

**armor. do you have mod privs on here? could you do me a favour and move this to global private?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.