This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tom.K 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Chopper
    Participant

pLayed great on win 7 laptop at home that won’t play the freakin’game 😆
    cable 20 mb dl connection, loaded whole vid before 1/4 played. Nice and smooth, easy to read the text.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yeap. id guess it’s more about the age of your hardware when it comes to video playback. (whether or not you have hardware mpeg4 acceleration or whatever). im a bit sketchy on the details there, tbh. that’s why these tests are so interesting.

good progress, anyway. ive embedded a prettier font for the quality toggle and cleaned up the code a little. looks like this is going to work well.

BOY
    Participant

tried it, buffering in HD caused stoppages for me, but my speed is only mid grade – I’m cheap.

hq speed worked fine.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

ty everyone for that. i dont need to know who can or cant play the hq and low versions – id be better off with a “can you play youtube and online video?” poll : )

it is a bit of a shame, but i think we’ve established some form of quality toggle will have to stay.

interesting insight, though. i was expecting a cpu load problem more than connection speed. i wasnt expecting so many people on low speed connections.

anyone who tests should still feel free to post a note. it’s academic so long as there’s a quality toggle, but it’s still interesting just as a poll of peoples connection speeds and hardware.

ps:
    2mbits/s is not a lot of bitrate by ‘HD’ standards. just as a matter of interest and for some context, dvd’s were up around 7 and blu ray can easily hit 20 or more. iplayer seem to use 3.2 for HD.

Hyde911
    Participant

@hyde911 wrote:

HD works perfectly here, animation is smooth. Only minor freezes during DH explosions.

EDIT: This was in Ubuntu. Under Windows Vista there are more freezes and overall smoothness is slightly lower. Resolution has little impact on it.
    Ubuntu: 8+/10
    Vista 7/10

I tested it on Firefox, Opera and IE 8. No differences.

In my case it isn’t matter of connection. I was testing on 40 Mbit bandwidth.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i made a quick video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOCNrw8dgc&fmt=22

few copyright issues, probably. i ripped the ligthning out of a bbc thing and the explosion was a youtube viking linked me to.

heres a second version (clipped):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCR1t5cXUgk&fmt=22
    it’s a bit rough around the edges, but i think it’s kind of cool.

Thrax
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

i made a quick video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOCNrw8dgc&fmt=22

few copyright issues, probably. i ripped the ligthning out of a bbc thing and the explosion was a youtube viking linked me to.

Played beautifully at 360p, and still had the near full-screen size.
    Only saw about 20-30 frames in total of the 720p, as my system decoded
    what it could then jumped ahead to keep up.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

Played beautifully at 360p, and still had the near full-screen size. Only saw about 20-30 frames in total of the 720p, as my system decoded what it could then jumped ahead to keep up.

get some new hardware, damn you! : ) i blame canadia

it’s not really what id call HD anyway. the lightning is, the explosion original was pretty low quality. you may not notice much difference. i didnt really need testers, just thought this thread was a good place to post it.

Viking62
    Participant

Very nice clip. Kinda gave me goosebumps….. =D>

Deathstryker
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

[attachment=0:2h2cti6l]s3dyoutubetest.jpg[/attachment:2h2cti6l]
    I’ve prepared a Scorched3D video player

please test it here

I’m especially interested in feedback from people on slower connections and slower computers. This is scaled down HD content. I think it should play on pretty much anything, but connection speed may be an issue.

If the Scorched3D website were to incorporate a video player, a bit like this one at Nexuiz http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/ (but hopefully better)…

HD video is where it’s at these days – no question, but would I need to add a toggle for lower quality versions? Could we expect most users to be able to play this as is?

A quick post from anyone who tests this would be very helpful. Just a “yes, it played fine” or a “no, there was some stutter or a problem with load speed”, whatever.

Thanks

This video didn’t have sound, right?

EDIT: NVM, sound worked the second time. I probably pressed the sound button and didn’t know it was muted.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

EDIT: NVM, sound worked the second time. I probably pressed the sound button and didn’t know it was muted.

the controls need some tweaking. that mute button needs a toggle icon.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Scared me a bit LD. But looked good 🙂

ArmorWraith
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBaVkrQZWA&feature=related

Hah i found it!! lol, sorry wanted to see if you made tat explosion. 😀 was gonna congratulate you lol.

Kanga

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

no, i didnt make the explosion – i dont know if i could have. i could give it a good go if i was inclined to. there reaches a stage with computer generated stuff where it’s more art than technical know how. (maybe quite early on). it’s a bit like painting a picture. im sure i could produce a large explosion, but whether it would be as good as that… that was a particularly good one.

id never pretend id made something i hadnt:
    @laptops Daddy wrote:

…the explosion was a youtube viking linked me to.

i even linked to the youtube i took the explosion from in the clip info:
    @Youtube Clip Info wrote:

Unofficial Scorched3D v43 promo. The lightning clips are BBC copyright (I think). The explosion is from a youtube found here: http://www.youtube.com/watc… 25 secs total is probably fair use.

that’s been there from the start.

this is off topic, doesnt need testing, but have a look at this one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6107&p=p59293#p59293

ArmorWraith
    Participant

lol no, i wasnt accusing you lappy, i was making a game for myself lol, it was to find the explosion’s link ! 😀

Kanga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.