This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  bilIkopo 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

sean10mm
    Participant

I’m getting horrible (<10 FPS on water maps, <20 FPS on all others) performance from the new release on the latest release in spite of having a fairly fast system.

Core 2 Duo E6600
    4 GB DDR2
    Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB
    Windows XP SP2 w/ all updates
    Latest nVidia drivers 163.71 WHQL

I’m playing Bioshock at 1600×1200 with all settings maxed, but Scorched 3D is uplayable at 1600×1200 or 1280×960 just using the “normal settings” and still horribly slow on the “faster settings.”

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Not sure, I am playing on an athlon XP 3800+ and a geForce 6800 and its reasonable performance with settings on full (800×600).

The game is not multi-threaded to any great degree, I wonder if it is getting CPU bound.

Take you don’t have AA on 8 or anything like that?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Another thought, the shadow textures/buffers may scale with screen resolution so that may be the issue.

What speeds do you get on 800×600.

sean10mm
    Participant

No AA. I reset the graphics settings to “normal” at 800×600 and it gave me 7-17 FPS.

sean10mm
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

The game is not multi-threaded to any great degree, I wonder if it is getting CPU bound.

I wouldn’t think so, I mean a Core 2 Duo is going to be way faster than an A64 3800+ even single-threaded.

KTM Rider
    Participant

I was wondering if I’d have to start one of these sorta threads myself. I’m on a:

C2D e6420 – Overclocked to 2.56Ghz ATM
    8800GTS 640mb
    2Gbs RAM
    Vista (Yeah, Yeah…)
    Nvidia Drivers 163.69

I found that the 163.71 drivers were more unstable for me.

At first I thought it was Vista. It’s so easy to blame it. But that others are having the same issues on similar setups makes me think otherwise. My fps is ranging between 12 and 29 as of half an hour ago (mean of maybe 24). And thats without max settings.

Interesting enough, I didn’t see any fps raise as I’ve been overclocking. In Scorched, that is. Everything else has seen a performance boost.

The AI (who’s running an old duel core 3Ghz and a 6800Gt with ancient drivers) is getting similar fps.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Is any one seeing this problem on ATI cards? And is anyone running noroam=on ?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It all seems related to the 8800GTS.

Since this is a DX10 card are you all running Vista?

Bobirov
    Participant

I get pretty poor performance a lot of the time on my system too.

EDIT: Clean driver update from 162.18 to 163.71 seems to have helped a lot for me oddly enough (pegging at refresh rate again at times).

C2D E6300
    2GB RAM
    nVidia 7900GS (162.18 drivers still, I’ll upgrade later now that the newer drivers aren’t BETA)

I get below 15 FPS on water maps, turning water off and such doesn’t have much of an effect on overall performance though. This is on a system that used to frequently bust 100 FPS on Scorched if I forced vSync off.

I am thinking that there is something going on that series 7+ nVidia cards just don’t like as it seems like most performance complaints are coming from people with nVidia series 7 and 8 cards. But that is just pure speculation.

Screenshot below is with water turned off, medium details at 800×600 and I am getting 7 FPS, something whacky still. Note that turning off GL shaders even does not provide much of a speed boost for me.

Bobirov
    Participant

Note: Uninstall of previous drivers, reboot then installing the latest (163.71) seems to have cleared up a lot of the sporadic poor FPS issues I was being plagued with (I think). Definitely seems a lot better now at least.

Brain Damage
    Participant

i’ve seen a similar problem in another open source game, i didn’t check the scorched render code yet, but it would suffer from the same problem, there is a GL function wich isn’t present anymore on high end cards, and was replaced by software render for retro-compatibility, maybe a GL benchmark could help here; i’ll look if i’ll find that function name again

imported_gcamp
    Participant

That would be handy BD let me know how you get on, meantime I’ll look at optimizing the code as well.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

state log thing if it helps:

(6800gt256, 2.7G2MBAMDdualcore, 2GB800, single GPU SLI mode)

I think I may have overestimated my frame rate in the other post. Testing with a still screen in single player mode is v different to playing online with simultaneous shots. I’m getting an average of 35fps ish online (1024×768, max, 2x aa)

also, cpu usage seems to stick at 50% (as it often seems to with these dual core things). guess that’s normal?

sean10mm
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

It all seems related to the 8800GTS.

Since this is a DX10 card are you all running Vista?

No, XP.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

also, cpu usage seems to stick at 50% (as it often seems to with these dual core things). guess that’s normal?

Yes, that is 100% of one core.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.