This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BigBear 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

@mandy, sometimes the message of the day (MOD) has usefull info, it is actually a good idea to put a statement about rules (or no rules) there. you probly should read it sometimes.

for instance… when Bobirov doubles the cash for July 4th… I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT πŸ˜€

as far as your personal thing with rules, you should feel free to make as many messages as you want. thats what the forum is for! πŸ˜€

I also hate rules… my general beef with the rules is, if every one cannont read the rules on one line of text… they suck!

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

here my beef with rules game:

& Mind you, I’ve never turned them down when joining an existing game.

the biggest problem i’ve had in the past is exactly what Mandy pointed out,
    people playing the rules game don’t bother telling me until after the buy.
    Sometimes seconds before firing.

with regards to the so called “baby rules”: This game gets old, since the rules is nothing more than a baby sandhog war.

here’s my thoughts on other rules games: I like em…..not too crazy about baby rules.

1. baby missiles only :

very cool game. focus in on accuracy. no worries on getting hogged or digged here so no chutes are required.

2. MCB – Missiles Chutes Batts :

Again a game of accuracy and much easier to kill with missiles than babymissiles. Lots of fun and a great change of pace. Problems arise when you get hit over and over again without dying due lots of batts on hand and you’ll find yourself in a big hole.

3. baby – baby sandhog, baby nuke, baby rollers, baby diggers, missiles,
    fuel, batts, chutes, teleport:

This game is harsh. And I’ll tell you why. A player just starting out
    with rules games will not realize that this type of rules game should
    really be called “baby sandhogs” and not babys as is called by those
    that play it most.
    This is because baby sandhogs account for just
    about every kill by those who play it well.

If this rules game was invented so you don’t get funked or death
    head on every shot, it has moved away from that and turned into
    nothing more than a hog war. This rules game would be more fun if
    baby hogs were removed from the rules.

Essentially what its done is given those who like to play this game all
    the weapons they like, namely the deadly baby hog and has
    removed other players possible favorite weapons like the Nuke,
    MIRV, napalm or the frog.

I would love to start playing a modified-baby rules games. Either taking out the baby hog or keep the baby hog and adding the mirv, frog, and napalm. Should be lots of fun since the games 3 big guns have been removed: funky, dh, and sandhog.

all and all, there’s nothing like a no rules FFA game in the main server.

just one man’s opinion.

πŸ˜›

NP

on another note: It always seems that smallweapons mod is brought up as a solution to these rules issues. The reason why these issues don’t get solved with the smallweapons mod server is that

the main server is where the best players play. Whether using rules or no rules, those that play main still want their kills to count toward the main server stat race. is there such a thing? who knows? you get the point.

BigBear
    Participant

@np-theoutlaw wrote:

1. baby missiles only :

very cool game. focus in on accuracy. no worries on getting hogged or digged here so no chutes are required.

2. MCB – Missiles Chutes Batts :

Again a game of accuracy and much easier to kill with missiles than babymissiles. Lots of fun and a great change of pace. Problems arise when you get hit over and over again without dying due lots of batts on hand and you’ll find yourself in a big hole.

*Smiles and applaudes NP*

Well said NP. My thoughts exactly. No need to add or subtract.

But if you you don’t like to play a certain style and someone asks just remember the good ‘ol alternative answer to the question ‘Do you wanna play mcb?’:
    -NO!
    Plain and simple.

BigBear
    Participant

I’d like to make an addition/revision to my previous post. I just got off a game on main where ‘bbm only’ was beeing played at rnd 7 or 8. I was asked if it was ok and I said ‘ok this game’ since it was late in the game.

At the beginning of the following game one player said ‘same rules again?’ and the others agreed. I said no just as I had implicated when joining. After a few secs one player says ‘i’ll play babies’.

*Sigh*

Suddenly stricken with mental fatigue i quit the server to make better use of my time. It’s not an entertaining thought to play a game with people that will not even try to compete. In my folly I thought the point of all the preceeding ‘rules discussions’ was that breaking agreed upon rules was bad form but that a players wish for no rules should be respected. Sure, I could have persisted my request and perhaps I would have gotten my point across. It was late though and I didn’t have the energy for a discussion.

I get that it’s not all players that check the forums on a regular basis (don’t even get me started about my thoughts on why it is so). Somehow I still thought that the results and ideas from the discussions here would spread to the masses so to speak by word of mouth. No such luck it seems.

I will be back for more fun and games later this weekend offcourse since 99 percent of the time spent scorching is … well fun, but for now my feelings can be summarized in one single word:

Whatever!

Irishbandit
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

I’d like to make an addition/revision to my previous post. I just got off a game on main where ‘bbm only’ was beeing played at rnd 7 or 8. I was asked if it was ok and I said ‘ok this game’ since it was late in the game.

At the beginning of the following game one player said ‘same rules again?’ and the others agreed. I said no just as I had implicated when joining. After a few secs one player says ‘i’ll play babies’.

*Sigh*

Suddenly stricken with mental fatigue i quit the server to make better use of my time. It’s not an entertaining thought to play a game with people that will not even try to compete. In my folly I thought the point of all the preceeding ‘rules discussions’ was that breaking agreed upon rules was bad form but that a players wish for no rules should be respected. Sure, I could have persisted my request and perhaps I would have gotten my point across. It was late though and I didn’t have the energy for a discussion.

I get that it’s not all players that check the forums on a regular basis (don’t even get me started about my thoughts on why it is so). Somehow I still thought that the results and ideas from the discussions here would spread to the masses so to speak by word of mouth. No such luck it seems.

I will be back for more fun and games later this weekend offcourse since 99 percent of the time spent scorching is … well fun, but for now my feelings can be summarized in one single word:

Whatever!

You where very nice about finishing the game with the rules that we had agreed on. But you did make it plain that the new game would be played no rules.

I followed what happened in that game and was sad to see you leave.

When some one does not want to play with rules then the rules are off.

The Mighty Muha
    Participant

Very nice philosophical discussion, but that’s what it is, philosophical. In practice it does not work and people simply start playing a “The Mighty Muha First” game.
    Now I have to admit that I am tired of having to say “no” and starting a discussion on why I do not want to play by xxx rules, so I usually do not even respond to question regarding rules. It’s the same in pretty much every other game that’s on the market, so I suppose noone can really be blamed for it, except perhaps human nature.
    The point is, either DO something about this childish behavior, or leave it be. These posts where everyone seemingly agrees that a casual player’s wishes are to be respected are NOT helping anyway. So wake up from your comfy chairs and DO something about it.

I have to commend Konchis on this occasion as he is the ONLY player have played with that pointed out that there is always someone to break the rules, so we should let it be. If only some of you people would speak out on the server, the game would be much more enjoyable for those who get sick of this rules crap.

A suggestion to those who wish to play there rules games:
    * For AI first games, go play on the main server as there are no AIs there, and you consequently do not have to put up with their annoying presence.
    * For other rules games a mod and server should be implemented.

Now I know these suggestions will not be followed up on in any way, for whatever reason but nonetheless…

BOY
    Participant

One of your suggestions has been implemented already. I keep saying this, I’ll say it again. Small weapons server is still there, no heavy or tracking weapons (the ones frequently excluded in rules games). It is the ideal place for all the rule makers to go and have some fun blasting without worrying about a rule breaker. There isn’t even an AI after second player joins, so no AI first rules either.

Rules at Apoc also dont make much sense, other than AI first. I’m not totally sure, but incidentally, there seems to be alot more players there lately.

Bobirov
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Rules at Apoc also dont make much sense, other than AI first. I’m not totally sure, but incidentally, there seems to be alot more players there lately.

Really, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rules game at Apoc other than the standard ‘Bots First’ match.

And yes, it has been HOPPING at Apoc since v40 release. I rarely come home to an empty server anymore. πŸ™‚

Anyways, not like me to chime in off topic like that but hey, I had to say something. πŸ˜›

king_tiger_666
    Participant

lol having deaths named after you now i know what a cbx’d is !!

baby rules rule and mandy prefers death by funky bubble girl lol

though i agree if u want to play baby rules and want to keep it status quo then its in your interest to tell newbies the rules or die a big death

mandy
    Participant

i am disagreeing with you kingy.

when you read my post i never said anything bad about baby rules or mcb.

what i ONLY wanted to say ……. anyways, i did this post to inform everyone, that WHEN you have a RULE game GOING and someone is joining the game TELL HIM RIGHT AWAY AND ASK HIM RIGHT AWAY.
    Accept his decision when its a no and be happy when its a yes.

But tell him right away.

thats what i wanted to say with this post

and YES kingy, i have more then one DH waiting for your butt….. 😈 πŸ˜†

mandy

Ebonite
    Participant

Can a message be added to the automatic messages already broadcast in the Beginner’s server stating something like:

The Default rule in this server is FFA. Agree to rules at your own risk.

I had a discussion with a player this morning who felt that the majority makes the rules, and I had to explain that the unanimity makes the rules, otherwise there are no rules. He went on to say that where he came from, the majority made the rules, and he usually played on the Main server. Main doesn’t have the automatic text, so maybe the message could be added to the MOTD. For that matter, might as well add it to the MOTD in Beginner’s, as well.

Oh, and I had 2 consecutive million dollar games in Beginner’s

Panther30
    Participant

I’ll fix the MOTD on anther’s server as well. after almost two years of hearing the same question when I am in a game on MY server. I am getting rather angry.

Panther’s server is FFA

this does not mean you can ask BOTS FIRST?

The next person who does this when I am in will find themselves alone in the server with six of my toughest AIs and no cash.

this is not a threat , this is a promise.

Chopper
    Participant

Da Chop says….

Tell folks when they come in……thats important. Newcomers.join the crowd or just ask to can the rules.
    Other wise.ain’t no big deal….play and have fun…. πŸ˜€

On another matter………My monkey HATES RESIGNERS! πŸ‘Ώ

Lithium
    Participant

@mandy wrote:

Anyone who is playing scorched knows i am love skype as well as the game. its cool to talk to people all over the world.
    ok guys, call me a cheater from now on.

mandy[/size]

Why use Skype? Its proprietary and I’ve heard alot of bad things about it and the company that makes it. If you want to use VoIP while in the game, why not use applications that were meant for gaming like Ventrilo…or better yet, TEAMSPEAK because Teamspeak is cross-platform. Both apps use very little bandwidth but there are fewer restrictions on the # of clients that can connect to Teamspeak servers. If anyone has or wants to start a Scorched3d Teamspeak server, sign me up.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

Regarding rules: I’m new to the game so I play exclusively on the Beginner Server. The only rules I’ve come across so far are AI (Bots) First or AIF since AI seem to rank highest on that server. Its a spoken agreement but unfortunately, I’ve seen 1-2 players violate this trust which can be frustrating for a beginner like me. To all the other players: Thanks for walking me through the “how-to’s” for this game which I am still a relative newbie at.

Ebonite
    Participant

I have Skype, teamspeak, and ventrilo. The only one I actually use is Skype. Everyone I want to talk to is on Skype. The other two require servers, and usually only the hardcore gamers have one or the other. But then a lot of gamers I know just use Skype anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.