This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

It just occured to me that there is no real way to create team-based objectives on the maps currently. You can use WeaponGiveWin to award the win to a team that accomplishes something, but what if you want to award the win to a specific team when something is done? For instance, if you want to have two objects on the map and one team is supposed to defend one and the other team defends the other. There is no way to prevent a team from ‘capturing its own flag’ so to speak. If I am wrong here, please let me know.

What I was thinking was needed was to have a # tag added to WeaponGiveWin so that you can give the win to a specific team when something is accomplished. That would really help further enhance teamplay based modding. If no teams are in use, then the win would be awarded to the player that triggered the event, like it normally does now.

Also, along the same vein as that. It would be really nice if we could differentiate between teams when objects are destroyed in general. For instance, say you have some defending soldier AI tanks added to a map and you want to award the oposing team for destroying them but punish the defending team if they destroy their own soldiers. Again, currently there is no way to do this that I am aware of.

What cbx and I were thinking was that there should be something like a for Targets/Tanks/Models/etc. When a player that is on a team destroys the object, it would fire a specific event for that team. The tag could look something like the following:

accessory
    accessory

Something like that would really be helpful for designing maps with teamplay in mind from the onset. We could really really use that in the project I have been working on recently. 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

Yeah, what he said. 😉

Bob and I were so excited to be able to do a certain style of game that we completely missed the fact that objects cannot be “for a certain team” – when we realized that, well, let’s just say that tears were shed. 😉

cbx

jdog
    Participant

I’ve been needing this myself for my Castle landscape. Thats why there is no weapon gives win on any of the castles.

There is a way to tie a object to a team as I use it in my Castle landscape so the Ais of your team don’t shoot you but I don’t know if the changes in 40.1 will not let you win if you destory your own caslte. I think if I read it right if you destory an object tied to your team in 40.1 it can give -score and -kill.

BOY
    Participant

This idea was mine first, but in regard to online team play. 8)

Bobirov
    Participant

Thanks for the support. I need all I can get on this issue. 😉

For the mod to continue forward in the direction I had planned. I must have something like this where goals can be team-oriented in nature. Otherwise its going to be very generic and there can only be one task that can be accomplished by either team to win.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok done these two.

1) I’ve added an optional winningteam to WeaponGiveWin, if set and team play is enabled that team will be awarded the win.

2) I’ve done this slightly differently than asked, but I think its more powerful and easier this way (so comments please). I’ve added a WeaponTeamAction this weapon calls the next action based on the team of the player that fired the weapon (or caused the remove action).

e.g.

Team Action Test

data/wav/misc/teleport.wav

The optional tags are team0, team1…team4.
    Team0 is called when there are no teams, team1 when the player was in team 1 etc…

Bobirov
    Participant

That sounds like that will be great. I will definately check it out. Many thanks for that! 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

Wow – sounds perfect!

Thanks – Bob and I debated whether to bug you about it or not, but it was a big stumbling block for us.

Cheers!

cbx

BOY
    Participant

Stupendous!

jdog
    Participant

Yaaaaaaaaa. Now I can really have a team landscape.

By the way, just how big can the Accessories.xml file get before it starts to cause problems? While mine is still “small”, Bobs will be in the 500KB range soon with all the new goodies to add in and use.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

By the way, just how big can the Accessories.xml file get before it starts to cause problems? While mine is still “small”, Bobs will be in the 500KB range soon with all the new goodies to add in and use.

Can’t see any issues with size at the moment. The contents are read in and hashed so it should be ok.

Bobirov
    Participant

Briefly tried out both new enhancements last night and they both worked quite well. Those two changes are going to be fun to use. 🙂

Again, thanks very much for making those changes. That went a long way towards making a lot more things possible in terms of teamplay. I am working on a CTF style map for my new mod that will make use of them. 😉

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Briefly tried out both new enhancements last night and they both worked quite well. Those two changes are going to be fun to use. 🙂

Again, thanks very much for making those changes. That went a long way towards making a lot more things possible in terms of teamplay. I am working on a CTF style map for my new mod that will make use of them. 😉

Hmm i musta missed this thread.. I was poking at team effects as well.
    Team shielding that some of you may have seen. larger sized shields
    that several players can share and layer for more strength.

Bobirov
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

Hmm i musta missed this thread.. I was poking at team effects as well.
    Team shielding that some of you may have seen. larger sized shields
    that several players can share and layer for more strength.

What about making it so that the tag apply only to memebers of the opposite team when teamplay is enabled? I suppose that would be difficult to determine which team a shield belongs to though, particularly when using something like a target which doesn’t necessarily belong to a specific team.

I just think it would be nice to be able to restrict access to an area based on team, and the shield would be a good way to do that if it would allow teamates to pass through, but not members of the opposite team. Just something I was thinking.

Somewhat related to that would be flat shields. Say you define a start point and an end point and then a height and it will create a rectangular shield based on those points. That would be perfect when combines with team restricted movement to deny access to certain areas to one team or another. I’m sure that’d probably be a tough addition though as its really unlike any of the existing shields at all. But, again, just something I was thinking.

And finally, I was thinking that we could really use some more elaborate win conditions. Right now, you can make one object give the win or multiple objects that will each give the win if destroyed. What I was thinking would be nice is that if you could make the win a conditional type thing. Say you have a group of objects that must all be destroyed in order to win. Take cbx’s airfield map for instance. It would be cool if you could make the object for one team to destroy all aircraft in order to win. I am thinking a good way to do this would be to add an additional action to the object placements called or something like that. This action would fire when all objects in that group have been destroyed. I know that the sounds stop playing when all objects in a sound group are destroyed, so this doesn’t seem like it would be all that much different. The question is really, where should this tag go? In an individual object’s placement definition or maybe it should go just under an object type=”group”? I am thinking perhaps the latter, as it would be more flexible I suppose.

Just some more teamplay oriented type stuff I was thinking about the last few days. Nothing critical or anything, but would be some fun stuff nonetheless. So I thought I would throw it out there. 😉

cbx550f
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

And finally, I was thinking that we could really use some more elaborate win conditions.
    add an additional action to the object placements called or something like that. This action would fire when all objects in that group have been destroyed.

I’d love to see this, maybe something like:

This would be invaluable for team goals, as it doesn’t make much sense in most scenarios to have a single object be the goal.

I was adding the Airfield map, and thinking about the alcatraz map, for OpScorched, and I couldn’t come up with a way to use them. That’s just not right, as they feel perfect for the whole theme. 😉

Other random thoughts (just off the top of my head):
    – It would be cool to be able to make a certain player the goal. That player’s teammates have to defend him/her
    – On that note, a limit to the number of people allowed to have a certain tanktype
    – Similar note, and maybe possible already: Players can only select “random”, and they get their tank randomly assigned

I was just thinking, maybe we can already use on a whole group. lol
    If not, wouldn’t that do the trick, Bob?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.