This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

So I just read somewhere that you can use .ogg files as sound files. Arg haha I just made all these bust quality wav files the last few days. What bitrates can be used? And can they be stereo .ogg’s? My sounds are being made at higher then dvd quality so I’d rather only downsample as much as I need to.

Also, I have been making a few tank models that are uh, things with the gun/turret offset to the left or right (like a hand holding a gun) and was wondering if there was any way to make the tank centered. As in, if I have a model with a gun in its right hand, the whole model is shifted over to the left so the gun (acualy, the turret I think) is centered. Is there any way to fix this? Its only an issue when your tank is like right on a clif or up against a wall in game. I tried making realy small cube’s and naming them like turret_recenter but it uh, isn’t working out so good. If there isn’t a way to fix it I’m not acualy that worried about it.

Another thing (heh) so I am not 100% sure how it works, but when you make an animated explosive texture and use it in game it seems to use multiple copies at diffrent Y-rotation or something to give it that 3d depth. Is there any way to use animated textures as just a single plane? As in, I have a animated texture (sequencial bmp’s) with some words on them but when I use it as an explosion you cant tell at all there were ever words. I havn’t realy looked into this very hard so I may be messing something else up. It would be realy cool if there was some way to lock an animated texture set like that to the screen rotation (old school sprite style ala doom) so you could do like batman style ‘bif’ ‘smat’ ‘mop’ type explosions. If you could change the rotation relative to the gound instead and maby have some sort of scale controll I would be able to use all these sweet circular shockwave type animations I’ve made.

Oh and PPS (then I’ll stop) is there a list of all the changes you need to make to a v4 mod to make it work with v40.1 ? Can I figure it out by just looking through the wiki or are there tons and tons of changes? I’m not sure if I should try to convert what I’m working on or just reuse all the models/textures and redo all the code from scratch. Anyway. Still having fun working on stuff, have some massivly cool looking weapons in the works. So eventualy I will have a working mod.

Oh yeah… PPPS: It would be realy sweet if one day there was a way to link objects to other objects/tanks. Like, for a few defensive weapons I use small objects that spawn where your tank is to add aditional shields. It would be cool if they could be bound to your tank so you could move with them. And the last thing, so you can make weapons that move your tank (well, teleport hacks, I think there is something in 40.1) but it would be realy cool to be able to move other peoples tanks. I would totaly make a tractor beam.

Sorry for the length (I only can get online every like 5 days)

Bobirov
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

Also, I have been making a few tank models that are uh, things with the gun/turret offset to the left or right (like a hand holding a gun) and was wondering if there was any way to make the tank centered. As in, if I have a model with a gun in its right hand, the whole model is shifted over to the left so the gun (acualy, the turret I think) is centered. Is there any way to fix this? Its only an issue when your tank is like right on a clif or up against a wall in game. I tried making realy small cube’s and naming them like turret_recenter but it uh, isn’t working out so good. If there isn’t a way to fix it I’m not acualy that worried about it.

I have never noticed that, myself. Make sure you make an object called turretpivot and place it at the center of the object that should be rotating. Then make another object called gunpivot and place it at the point where the gun (like the guy’s arm) should be rotating. Then make sure all the part’s names begin with either turret or gun so they will rotate appropriately. Have a look at the Milkshape 3D tutorial for some more information on that.

If you’ve already done all that correctly and its still doing that, I guess thats just the way it works and that I never noticed it. 😛

@inductiveone wrote:

Another thing (heh) so I am not 100% sure how it works, but when you make an animated explosive texture and use it in game it seems to use multiple copies at diffrent Y-rotation or something to give it that 3d depth. Is there any way to use animated textures as just a single plane? As in, I have a animated texture (sequencial bmp’s) with some words on them but when I use it as an explosion you cant tell at all there were ever words. I havn’t realy looked into this very hard so I may be messing something else up. It would be realy cool if there was some way to lock an animated texture set like that to the screen rotation (old school sprite style ala doom) so you could do like batman style ‘bif’ ‘smat’ ‘mop’ type explosions. If you could change the rotation relative to the gound instead and maby have some sort of scale controll I would be able to use all these sweet circular shockwave type animations I’ve made.

Actually I don’t think there is anything you can do about that. When making explosions is makes lots of different particles and they don’t all line up the same. I’ve noticed that myself in the past.

@inductiveone wrote:

Oh and PPS (then I’ll stop) is there a list of all the changes you need to make to a v4 mod to make it work with v40.1 ? Can I figure it out by just looking through the wiki or are there tons and tons of changes? I’m not sure if I should try to convert what I’m working on or just reuse all the models/textures and redo all the code from scratch. Anyway. Still having fun working on stuff, have some massivly cool looking weapons in the works. So eventualy I will have a working mod.

Well, no there isn’t a list of changes you’ll have to make. But it isn’t very much this time around. You’ll have to redo any fuel items that you have as fuel has now been changed to WeaponMoveTank. You may also have to run through your models and change the lighting values on their textures as they actually have an effect in Scorched now. I’ve settled on about 0.8 for all the lighting values. Also you’ll have you change your old shield definitions to include the word ‘Round’ after the word Shield as there is now support for square shields. There may be a few other changes you’ll have to make, but Scorched will complain if you have anything wrong so it makes it pretty easy to spot what you need to do. If you run into something you can’t figure out, just eyeball Apoc or the default mod’s xml and see how its done there for an example.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Thanks bob, and I’ve been eyeballing apoc the whole time 🙂 I will zip the model that is acting kinda funny and upload it tomarro if I remember. And its cool about square shields. I’m not sure how yet hehe, but thats cool. Thanks.

cbx550f
    Participant

Too sleepy to answer the hard questions right now, but on the “Gun being offset to the side” part: the gun is positioned to what the game sees as the centre of the model. (someone correct me if I’m wrong here:)The game scales all tanks that are over 3.0 units in size to 2.2 units, and then centres the model in the space that is 2.2 units wide. What happens when, as in your example, it is a “character” with a gun in one had, is that the model is scaled and centred, but since it is not symetrical, the new centre (and thus the position the sight gets placed at) is not in what you see as the model’s centre.

I have had this happen on virtually every non-vehicle model I have ever made. Now that I put some thought into it, I think maybe I see how to work around it:
    Take my Tux models for example – the gun is offset a bit because of the different position of each “arm”. If I take a careful look, and position the “arms” such that the elbows are each the same distance from the centre, where the gun is (along the x axis), it should fix it. If the gun were in one “hand”, I would have to position the rest of the model such that the gun is halfway between the vertex on the model with the lowest x position, and the highest.

HTH

cbx

cbx550f
    Participant

Regarding the .ogg sound file usage:

In my trials with that, I could only use stereo samples – mono files simply did not play.

As for bitrates, I tried a range of bitrates, and it took everything I threw at it. 🙂 This is good, as you could use low bitrates for some sounds that are mostly midrange, and not as noticeable when the quality drops, and use higher ones for “This one has to sound COOL” samples. 😀

Note: If the ogg file is problematic, it likely will not throw an error, but simply not play.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Sweet! My laser sound is much cooler in stereo. I will have to redo all my sounds but its my favorite part to do anyway. And a funny thing, converting over to the new version I found I had a bunch of explosion animations at like 320×320, I thought they looked wrong. Took me awile to figure out why it didn’t like them hehe. That and running through all my models in edit to change all the ambient levels. Wasn’t too bad at all. I acualy wrote out a current to-do list. Man was that a mistake haha. But, it seems to work as well as it worked in the last version now. And all my tanks seem to look cooler for sure.

Woo!

Anyway, thanks a ton for the help. If I can help anyway with stuff your working on (this being directed to anyone) let me know. I will try to get the 40.1 version upped somewhere tonight, I acualy have some real webspace now. And if anyone that runs a server somewhere other then from home reads this it would be awesome if they would priv msg me. I am dialup here but would be willing to rent some server space from somewhere to run a server. I am a linux tard though and I will need some help I’m sure, I also dont have a clue where to look to buy/rent some server space that I could run a server on without getting in trouble (or how much money I’d end up having to spend a month). Any help with that would be huge!

jdog
    Participant

If you need a place to get your mod download check out This topic or Mods of Scorched3d

This isn’t to have a server for people to play on though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.