This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

I was wondering if there was any way of organizing a tank pack. I know there is already the tank cvs thread, but I would like to see an easier way for the average person who looks at this site to find an up-to-date pack of all new custom tanks.

I was thinking, what exactly is involved in adding new tanks? 2 things, first you have to move all the tanks/materials into the users tank folder. Then, you have to add tank descriptions in the tanks.xml for each new tank. It seems like it would be pretty easy to write a little installer (realy, it could be done with a small batch file) that would decompress a zip/rar/tar/whatever file with all the newest tanks and also add the tank descriptions to the main tanks.xml file. It seems like you could just delete the last line of the tanks.xml, add all the descriptions for new tanks, add a new final line. Am I missing anything else?

It would then be realy cool if there was a forum topic or something where you could upload new tanks, make sure it seems to be working, then when its deemed done and working it would be added to the pack. Then maybe a link to the newest tank pack in the mods section here or something ?

🙂

Even if it were updated once a week/month/s3d version upgrade, it would make it alot easier for everyone to see the sweet new tank you made for yourself.

Any thoughts?

Deathstryker
    Participant

I agree. The method of getting the custom tank pack is rather obscure. It seems too important to be put as far in the background as it is.

jdog
    Participant

I don’t know if this maybe the best way and might add more size to the game but breaking up the tank.xml file into smaller files would make it easier to add more tanks quickly. This shouldn’t cause any problems in how the tanks are called for AI or target AI as it would still use the tank name in the file just each tank would have its own file.

I’m wondering on if it may slow the game down more.

cbx550f
    Participant

how about adding custom tanks by adding them, maybe? Like keep the existing tanks.xml, but able to add more by having a moretanks.xml or something?

I was thinking that it could be in the .scorched3d/ dir, but I’m already seeing problems with that….. (with mods that need only certain tanks etc). Still, something to think about 😉

jdog
    Participant

part of the problem with adding new tanks is that everytime you want to add a new tank you have to edit the tanks.xml file.

Make each tank its own xml file
    IE, tanks/yourtank/tankname.xml(with model and textures) inside the tanks directory would make it easier for anyone to add new tanks there game.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Or, have an additional addontank.xml so that you could use 2 tank.xml files. As in, if you had mod specific tanks, add them to addontanks.xml, then have some sort of tag in the addontank.xml file for like so you could use all available tanks, or only allow mod specific tanks (like how it is now).

Or, even easier, mods could have an additionaltanks.xml file that you would use to add new tanks to. If you wanted to only use mod specific tanks in that xml file, you could just make a tanks.xml with no entries in your mod dir too. If not it would just use the original tanks.xml and add all available tanks.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

moretanks.xml or something?

that’s silly

is it really that hard to update an xml file? sounds a bit like asking for a pen lid remover for your biro.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

that’s silly

is it really that hard to update an xml file? sounds a bit like asking for a pen lid remover for your biro.

I think it can be slightly tedious sometimes to have to add lines all the time. Just think of how it would be if we get really serious about the tankpack and you always are having to update it all the time.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

that’s silly

No its not hard to update a xml file. For those of us that have done it. But not ever one that plays scorched3d would find that an easy task. Any thing to make it easier sounds great in my book.

Panther30
    Participant

yep, I figured there would be more discussion on this. when I built the tankpack originally I think i put a full tanks.xml file in there with it. maybe there is a way to add tanks using a batch file, but wouldn’t it be simpler if you just do it the way I built it originally… just copy the files into place?

—Panther

cbx550f
    Participant

We still need the tanks.xml file, as it supplies more information than just the model definition (texture file for ase models, tanktype, etc)

Personally, I think having a customtanks.xml file in the .scorched3d user directory would be great, and then put a tanks/ directory there with all of the custom tanks.

maybe like this:
    USERDIR/.scorched3d/customtanks/tanks.xml
    USERDIR/.scorched3d/customtanks/tanks/mycooltank/blah.txt

mooic
    Participant

Would it be possible to have some kind of auto update for the tanks, maybe an autmatic download when you log onto a server so you can have server specific tanks or maybe the game just checks for new tanks a set intervals?

cbx550f
    Participant

Tanks can already be automaticcally downloaded from the server when you log on – all that requires is including them in the mod. (Check out Opscorched ;))
    That’s just up to the modder.

I, personally, don’t want all sorts of custom tanks added to the main servers in such a way that I have no choice, as many of the ones people want tend to have a high number of triangles. Just having 5 guys playing with reasonably high triangle count tanks could increase the triangle count of the whole scene by 10% or more… if theres more people than that playing with tanks with triangle counts that are quite high it would seriously impact performance.

Panther30
    Participant

@CBX: just have everyone use R@p7oR’s Nuclear Cheese model (only has 60 polys).

(insert cheese joke here)

jdog
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

We still need the tanks.xml file, as it supplies more information than just the model definition (texture file for ase models, tanktype, etc)

Personally, I think having a customtanks.xml file in the .scorched3d user directory would be great, and then put a tanks/ directory there with all of the custom tanks.

maybe like this:
    USERDIR/.scorched3d/customtanks/tanks.xml
    USERDIR/.scorched3d/customtanks/tanks/mycooltank/blah.txt

Still the problem is that not eveyone know how to update the xml file used for the tanks. Some people want it dumbed down to where all you have to do is drop some files in to the right place and beable to use the new model with out editing anything.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.