This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  pastor of muppets 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Just wondering if you all thought stats should be reset more often. Should there be a set amount of time or do you like the way it works now? Not that I can change it myself just wondering what everyones opinion was.

pianoplayer88key
    Participant

I had my stats glitched the other day, so actually I’d like to see them reset now, if my rank 19 can’t be restored. 🙁

Rommel
    Participant

On the reset schedule :

Performing a reset, ONLY upon the release of a version or subversion update seems to be a fair method of controlling the stats while also prompting the admins to allow periodic improvements to the game. Therefore, in order to increase the frequency of updates to both, improvement suggestions should be discussed with BOY.

If he agrees to implement any of them, there are several people here that should be able to provide coding assistance if requirred.

On the loss of pianoplayer’s stats :

Having taken note of his complaints and the lack of a proper reply, I thought that I should report that he appears to be the only one affected. Thus, all he should need to do is restore his user ID. If he does not know how, a proper search of the forums should reveal the details.

Good luck

pianoplayer88key
    Participant

The thing is, I’m still using the same ID. I’ll do a forum search, though….

Rommel
    Participant

Hi pianoplayer88key :

I have suggested (more than once) that sticky notes detailing solutions to common problems (like the undocumented process to save setup changes on a Macintosh) should be posted. While you are waiting for that, try looking in your forum profile. If you set it up properly, when you registered, you have a copy of your original user ID in you profile.

If you have a backup stashed away someplace that includes your game files, the IDS.XML file in your user directory (folder) is the one you need to locate.

Once you find your original user ID, you should be able to go into the game set up menu and correct it there or you can edit your IDS.XML using a text editor.

If you find that the user ID (not your name) you are using now is the same one you have always used, seek assistance from the admins.

User ID’s conform to the following format :

A1B2C345-ABCD1234-XYZ98765

Good luck,

Rommel

pianoplayer88key
    Participant

It’s the same user ID that I had before.

I connected one night, and instead of being PianoPlayer88Key, ranked 19, I was something like Player 14, with no rank. A few other ppl also connected (Mouse, komar (I think), can’t remember who else), also as Player XX and with no rank/skill, and we got a game going, but there was NOTHING under “rank”. Apparently during our game, the stats server was restarted or something, because I saw another player connect who DID have a rank, although I don’t remember what that rank was). I disconnected and reconnected, only to find that my skill had been reset to 1000. My kills, suicides, deaths, etc, are still all correct, it’s just my skill is borked. The others that were in the game at the same time all seem to be still ranked where they should be (don’t remember where komar is, and mouse is still #9 afaik).

Any idea what’s going on, and how to fix it? And if not, is there a way I can quickly (like within the time of 2 or 3 full games, assuming I’m killed 1st shot every round, and WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!) restore my rank to where it should be?

Rommel
    Participant

Oops, sorry POM. See the other thread pianopayer88key…

@pianoplayer88key wrote:

It’s the same user ID that I had before.

I connected one night, and instead of being PianoPlayer88Key, ranked 19, I was something like Player 14, with no rank. A few other ppl also connected (Mouse, komar (I think), can’t remember who else), also as Player XX and with no rank/skill, and we got a game going, but there was NOTHING under “rank”. Apparently during our game, the stats server was restarted or something, because I saw another player connect who DID have a rank, although I don’t remember what that rank was). I disconnected and reconnected, only to find that my skill had been reset to 1000. My kills, suicides, deaths, etc, are still all correct, it’s just my skill is borked. The others that were in the game at the same time all seem to be still ranked where they should be (don’t remember where komar is, and mouse is still #9 afaik).

Any idea what’s going on, and how to fix it? And if not, is there a way I can quickly (like within the time of 2 or 3 full games, assuming I’m killed 1st shot every round, and WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!) restore my rank to where it should be?

Irish Bandit appears to be correct. If so, you will need assistance from one of the admins.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

The reason I am asking is every once in a while you will have some good battles in a stats race and the top two to 5 can be found playing quite often chasing those spots but it always seems that one or two of them will get bored and drop out. If there was a certain amount of time that the stats series would run it would be a bit more competetive and would make for some really fun games to play or watch the last week or so.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi POM :

I’m not opposed to more frequent resets of the stats but the survey questions only provided me with one option. Although I have a vote remaining, the only time frame I can support is whenever an update is ready.

Releasing a subversion update (nothing major) every 6 months seems reasonable if the majority of the work is perfomed by the players.

Recent Edit : Hey, thanks for the additional question.
    Two votes were requested, two votes have now been submitted.

Best wishes,

Rommel

Mcb Lover
    Participant

There are stats on this game????
    Cheerz

Raden
    Participant

I’d say 6-8 months would be nice…or the option with every update is cool too…which is what is happening now, i think. More frequent resets would increase competitiveness among players.

edit: ps: having a fixed period for the stats to run might probably make more players come to play…(knowing there is a dateline)…however I think, the skill calculation would need to be amended, if done this way….otherwise, some serious unfair play might occur.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@pastor of muppets wrote:

The reason I am asking is every once in a while you will have some good battles in a stats race and the top two to 5 can be found playing quite often chasing those spots but it always seems that one or two of them will get bored and drop out. If there was a certain amount of time that the stats series would run it would be a bit more competetive and would make for some really fun games to play or watch the last week or so.

+ What Raden said before this post.

I think these statements are right, trying to stay in a battle for a position without knowing how long you’re going to go fighting for must be pretty demoralizing.

Not to take away from those who have won top ranks in the past, but often/occasionally/sometimes/now and then, ranks are gained by default due to opponents getting bored and reining back their play time.

An issue that’s just sprung to mind would be that some players might join the fight late on with a month or so left in the series allowing them to gain huge skill points from players up the top and taking massive points from them.
    Although I think this falls under Radens edit.

Raden
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

An issue that’s just sprung to mind would be that some players might join the fight late on with a month or so left in the series allowing them to gain huge skill points from players up the top and taking massive points from them.
    Although I think this falls under Radens edit.

Yes Peanut, you thought right.

I’ve said it before, it is a loophole in the skill calculation system, that can be abused by anyone with ill intention 😯 , but, even if it were to happen with no ill intention, the other possible scenarios that might take place are:

1. Shooting at lower ranked players first to eliminate the possibility of them killing a higher ranked player, thus saving the higher ranked players from ‘losing’ huge skill points.
    – which in turn, might/will scare away those really new at the game.

2. Encouraging resigning or even ‘leaving to rejoin’ practices, whenever it seems that one is most likely to be killed by a much lower ranked player. (note: Not that I am against the action of resigning, it has it’s purpose, although I do think that some sort of penalty should be imposed for a resign, as it saves the resigner from losing some skill points, and also prevents the shooter from gaining skill points).

Sorry for the sidetracking PoM, but I think it is an issue that is related to a fixed period system for the stats resetting, which I am all for.

Rommel
    Participant

Best wishes on better balancing the game and encouraging new players.

“The best plan is the one made when the battle is over.” – Generalfeldmarschall, Erwin J. E. Rommel

BOY
    Participant

I voted for the 6 mo.

Sorry guys, I’ve been away a bit, had a vacation a week back and then had things to get done and well, then there are three children and a stressed wife. GOsh I miss playing more often.

I’d say that the stats race should be more interesting if, say, the stats would be reset at either 6 mo. or when a player reaches 5,000 kills, whichever comes first. That way there is a race against time or the other player, or both!! The current 9-1/2 months is too long. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.