This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Hyde911 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Deathbal
    Participant

Anyone know of any good spyware remover? I have 3 of them, 2 of them will simply not run, and the one that does finds nothing. I do have a problem. I am currently in safe mode.

bazzz
    Participant

I used to have hitman pro, it had many different free scanners it used together. It always did a good job if you didnt mind waiting half an hour for all scans to finish.

The new scan is faster tough, it uses cloud computing(whoooo) and its not free anymore but there is a 30day trial.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/en/shop/

Raden
    Participant

1. malwarebytes anti malware…..dunno how effective it is, worth a try…its free.

Rommel
    Participant

Yes

@deathbal wrote:

Anyone know of any good spyware remover? I have 3 of them, 2 of them will simply not run, and the one that does finds nothing. I do have a problem. I am currently in safe mode.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I still stand by spyboy S&D

direct download link albeit from a mirror.

Takes a while, but I’ve found it to be good.

A mate who does ALOT of spyware scans recommends another, but I ignore him alot of the time so can’t remember the name. However, it’s not free, I’ll try and find out as they have a single scan trial.

Irishbandit
    Participant

PR and Raden hit some of the best. Hijackthis works well if you know what you are doing.
    http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html
    Another good one that I use
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Both are free.

Crispy Critter
    Participant

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

Really, today’s malware is nasty enough that you can never be quite sure that it’s gone. This was true even several years ago – I once spent a whole day clearing off CoolWebSearch and friends from a client’s system, when it would have been faster to use the “nuke it from orbit” approach. Remember that the antivirus/antispyware vendors can only react to threats that are already out there in the wild, and the crooks are always coming up with new threats.

This is overkill, I know, but overkill can be a good thing…

Back up important files to a USB hard drive. Do a fresh install of Windows and your apps – and update everything. Turn off AutoPlay before you plug the USB drive in again! It might have been infected when you were backing things up, and be primed to re-infect you via AutoPlay. Scan everything that you backed up AFTER you have a clean system and have installed (and updated!) antivirus and antispyware scanners. Make a system image with something like Ghost or PING. If you get zapped again, you can fall back to the image, and then apply any updates needed. Make a new image once everything’s updated.

Other tips:

• Don’t surf with IE. ActiveXploits are a major cause of spyware troubles. I don’t know what possessed Microsoft to think that embedding Office applications in web pages was a good idea… but it sure left a nice hole for the scammers to use.
    • Use Firefox+NoScript+good judgement about what sites to allow scripts and active content. NoScript may sometimes be a PITA to use, but it can save your bacon. A nice side-effect of using NoScript properly is that it all but eliminates the more obnoxious forms of advertising (popups/popunders, video ads, and such crap).
    • Keep your stuff up-to-date. That means not just Windows, but plugins like Adobe Reader, Flash, Java, QuickTime, etc., not to mention Firefox – and any other networkable applications. Note that there are separate Flash plugins for IE and Mozilla-based browsers – update both, even if you don’t surf with IE.
    • Be on the lookout for suspicious-looking search results. Check the text blurbs before clicking links – if the search results turn up “word salads” that look nonsensical, or links to sites with domain names that look like random consonants, those are probably pages loaded with exploits.
    • Any website that wants you to install a “codec package” is pushing malware. Also, beware of fake anti-spyware programs, which often come in through exploit pages – or just use a JavaScript popup to trick you into installing their fakeware.
    • Don’t pirate software. Pirate packages push pestilent payloads.
    • If it’s a tradeoff between security and convenience, err on the side of security. Don’t let your browser store banking/PayPal/Ebay passwords, for instance. I’m paranoid enough to recommend having a separate computer that’s used ONLY for financial purposes and NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER – no email or general web surfing.

Rommel
    Participant

Nice post, well done.

@Crispy Critter wrote:

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

Deathbal
    Participant

Ok, this is my problem. I have had trojans in the past and my current detectors and eliminators have always taken care of them. One of them was Malware bytes anti malware. I usually aquire these trojans when I try to find episodes of shows I missed because of work.

But this time is different. My usual program does not load. All of the programs listed in this thread are probably good, but when I try to DL them, install them and run them, they do not run or give me some error message. So whatever this trojan is, it’s pretty good. But I have found one, DLed using Firefox in safemode that is running as I speak. So I should be ok soon enough.

But I will say this about the creator of this trojan. To wish death on him is too lenient. I wish his genitals are invaded with the fleas and ticks of a thousand camels. 👿

xtc
    Participant

Very nice reply indeed CC!

@Crispy Critter wrote:

If it’s a tradeoff between security and convenience, err on the side of security. Don’t let your browser store banking/PayPal/Ebay passwords, for instance. I’m paranoid enough to recommend having a separate computer that’s used ONLY for financial purposes and NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER – no email or general web surfing.

Even if you are paranoid there is no need to go as far as having a separate computer. You can just have a bootable linux system like Puppy Linux on a flash drive for these purposes. And of course never keep passwords even there – human factor is the main threat.

DB, if your problem is not yet solved, you can try this: http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
    It is a free antivirus that works from a bootable drive, based on linux – so it is not at all affected by the malware currently blocking your attempts in Windows. You’ll have to burn it to a disk first, of course.

If you have to do stuff like that (visit risky sites) often I can either agree with CC you need to turn off plugins, flash, javascript before that (though some sites may be not functional without the latter). Or there is another way to make things 100% safe – to set up a linux system inside a virtual machine. You will be able to run it from inside Windows, just like a usual application in a window, and when you are done with ‘unsafe’ business you just get files you’ve downloaded and close it.

If you are interested in having things this way I suggest you VirtualBox software for virtual machine and Puppy Linux OS – find them in the first lines of google search. Both are free. I don’t think installing this whole thing will take you more then 15-20 minutes, so you can give it a try at least. You may need to set linux file system to FAT32 during installation to make it compatible with windows.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I’m not sure if you mean’t you’re running windows in safe mode there db or just firefox in safe mode.

If you’re just talking about firefoxs safe mode, try the windows safemode (without networking if you’ve managed to download something, or to use what you have).

The majority of laware/viruses etc will not run in that mode allowing you to clean them off.
    It’s also about the most sure way to clear them anyway due to being loaded in memory/registry etc.

Try that and see how you get on.

The next trick after that is to take the hard drive out and plug into another machine and run the removers, they’ll be able to find the files in a few cases, although the registry will not be checked (it’ll only check and clean the host machines registry).

ArmorWraith
    Participant

i browse the web with my wii, hahah.

completely safe for risque…

Nothing to steal on a wii.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

i browse the web with my wii, hahah.

completely safe for risque…

Nothing to steal on a wii.

Likewise using Linux OS instead of Windoze negates most requirements for an anti-virus, spyware and even a firewall for the most part.

Deathbal
    Participant

Unfortunetly the bug shut me down. I had to reinstall windows, all of my drivers and am sitting while the pc continuously updates. I just got back online today.

This bug was amazing. It attacked all of my anti malware and virus protection first. Wouldn’t let any of them run. The three that ran had problems. One didn’t find anything. The second found it but could not delete or quaranteen it. The third one found all but the main one, it was deleting some of them until it too was destroyed by the bug. Then fiinally everything started to shut down starting with the CD drive and all network connections. It was deleting drivers.

All in all it wasn’t that big of a deal if I can recover fully. Anything valuable i had on this pc was on a seperate drive.

Viking62
    Participant

DB, (I am trying to be humorous here)~
    What in the world did you d/l,surf to,comment on, that would make “Big Brother” shut ya down like that? 😆
    —-Seriously—-
    I do wish you the best in data recovery & the re-installation of your OS. Did you do a “DOD” Multi-Wipe of that hard drive? Hopefully there are no bad bits left-Take care pal 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.