This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

tumbleweed
    Participant

Thanks BOY, it’s easier to find now.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@tumbleweed wrote:

…I wonder if I can get a cheap Nvidia based board off Ebay… or the elusive Nvidia7200 AGP graphics card I’ve thusfar only seen advertised…

ATI Radeon 9200s, NV 5200’s, 6200’s.

Those kinds of cards are the kind of thing most pc technicians wouldn’t even bother salvaging. We’re talking entry level from 6 years ago + – literally the kind of hardware that’s worth less than the postage if you were to ebay a replacement.

I think you’re both in the realms of ‘special purpose’ with hardware like that. You cant expect the game to run smoothly out of the box.

This is interesting: http://www.amfeltec.com/products/pci-to-pci-express-adapter.php
    and this: http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-3280-view-PCI-to-PCI-express-adapter.html (that one has popup ads, watch that).

It could be a fun project to see who can get the game running on the most ancient hardware. Maybe it would help find tweaks to get the game running on notebooks.

Ps:
    Tumbleweed, I can tell you know your stuff, so I’ll try not to insult you. Don’t buy an NV7200. Buying a used graphics card from that era is a bit like buying an old banger from a car lot. The 2.0i model won’t cost any more than the 1.2.

I know worthwhile AGP cards are hard to find, but look for something with higher end architecture. (Maybe an NV 6800GT or an ATI 9800pro).

It’s silly to link to ebay ads on here, so I’ll come back and delete this later, but a quick search of the UK listings brought up this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-V9999GT-an-Nvidia-GeForce-6800GT-AGP-Graphics-Card_W0QQitemZ330403473842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW?hash=item4ced94e9b2
    something like that – a 6800GT for £10 (that’s about the price of a chinese takeaway in international money), way faster than a basic 7200. (double, give or take?)

tumbleweed
    Participant

LOL!

I do know I’m running old junk, but anyway, thanks for the advice. I’ll hunt around and see what I can come up with. I don’t do ATI cards, btw, their support for Linux systems is abysmal, a good 1/4 of the posts on Mepislover’s forums is at times, “I can’t get my video correct, I use an ATI bla, bla, bla”. They are constantly dropping support for “older” cards, even if they are still available, whereas, only the very oldest (10yrs) Nvidia cards aren’t supported

Interesting links BTW, but I think by the time I buy that many adapter cards, I might just as well buy a new comp!

Also this brings up another interesting new point, a newer computer isn’t a panacea, Chopper is still fighting with a laptop that has specs light years ahead of mine or Thrax’s “old junk” and he is fighting constant crashing

If there is a light hardware contest, I’ve got V42.1 running on an ACER AspireOne netbook, 1.6 ATOM processor(32bitHt), 1.5G memory, Intel GMA graphics, and a 8.1 inch screen at 1024×600!! It has a “slightly reduced” visual impact and only can get around 10fps, but I can play on it, and have even won a game or two.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Im particularily interested in the performance degradation between v42 and v43. There shouldnt really be any big differences between the two. It’s certainly not my intention to prevent slower PCs from playing the game.

Is the chopyness caused by framerate or the networking code? What does the framerate readout say?

Also if anyone who’s experiencing these issues could send me the console result of “statetimelogging 30” after its created output a couple of times.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Performance has improved for me, if anything. I’m up around 100fps average in HD resolutions with nolandlod and some AA. (single 8800GTS on this one)

tumbleweed
    Participant

I’ll enable logging on the XP install and see if I can get the info!

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@tumbleweed wrote:

I’ll enable logging on the XP install and see if I can get the info!

Thanks. Turning on client console logging may be a good way to collect it.

tumbleweed
    Participant

Here is the log from a quick offline (local) game, I will do an online game later.

Settings are identical to those posted by Thrax earlier in this thread. Game feel in this test was much better than previous beta, game is playable. I may be able to improve speed by turning off sky animations and rain/snow.

Thanks

imported_gcamp
    Participant

thanks tumbleweed, did you turn on statetime logging in the console? I can’t see the output in the file. Ofc it may be that its not logged to the file, I’ll check.

tumbleweed
    Participant

Here is the log from my online game (3rounds) with Slurge and Bazzz, same settings as last time.

One thing that is very noticeable is the sound, it does not sync up with the action, or goes dead, this may be my fault as I have it set for 2 channels only. I don’t know how to set the statetime logging, (noticed your post after playing) but I will try the next time I run V43.

Overall the game is very fast feeling, almost too fast, can be tiring. (I think I’m turning into an old fart…) can be hectic, almost like a FPS type game. I find the camera angle retuning before the “damage is done” taking some getting used to, I’m not sure I like it, however, with the new game play style, I don’t see any way to avoid this, simply because you can start aiming again as soon as your shot lands.

Thanks again.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks.

Yeah I don’t think all the servers will run such a fast paced version of the game. You can get back to the old version just by changing the settings. Really just testing that mode because its new and tests the new functionality.

The sounds is probably always the “making a shot” music so would be quieter.

To set the statetime logging:
    1) bring down the console (usualy the ` key top left on the keyboard)
    2) type : statetimelogging 20
    3) press return
    4) get rid of the console (the same key as to bring it down)

tumbleweed
    Participant

Here is a log as you requested, The only change was that I set the “don’t draw any water”. This speed up the speed quite a bit, but FPS was still usually below 20fps. I will be making another log later, or tomorrow of an online game, this one is local.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.