This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

tumbleweed
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

Open source. Look it up in a dictionary, Kanga.

Sorry, could not resist. 😛 But I do think you absolutely do not understand any of the concepts that I’m clinging to, so I agree this discussion between us is going nowhere.

like this?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/open+source

I read through this whole thing. As a “recent” player (a year or so online, since V38 offline), to be honest, I pretty much agree with XTC, I think the game has had some issues with “quick fixes” for minor complaints (each individually, not a big deal, but added together…)

As for the recent changes, BOY I appreciate your efforts, but personally I found the changes disappointing. The current market stinks, “fun stuff” takes too long to acquire. I also dislike the bots, but can see your logic in including them. I would like them gone after 3 live players, I feel that would be a nice compromise. I’m sorry BOY, but I don’t think a FFA only ban on main (or any other server) is enforceable, and has become a source of ridicule towards you. After the quote from Gavin and Apache’s post I don’t believe you have the authority, and the rule allowing “gentleman’s rules” as long as all agree, should stand.

I personally have made some of my best shots and played some of my best games MCB as is commonly done on the main server, 9 rounds MCB 10th FFA. It is good practice, and discourages the over all use of “sure kill” weapons such as Sandhogs, as it encourages accurate aiming during gameplay, who would waist a Sandhog (except Rom) when he can make an accurate kill with a bbm? I’m no coder, but perhaps a MCB mod with the above parameters? Or is someone afraid that will become the effective “main” server??

Before I go off the deep end (may be too late) another point that hasn’t been brought up is the “newer” versions (since 40.1) have been much more hardware dependent, IE, they don’t run on old hardware very well, and 43 beta won’t run on this comp, meaning I have to “upgrade” or stop playing. Seeing as this computer is perfectly capable of running MANY entertaining 3d games and does everything else I want, I have a hard time justifying the cost of a newer system and will likely bow out. My point is, how many have been lost to just that situation?? I’m well aware that I could set up a server for whatever version I desire and try to convince players to come, and may indeed get some, but wouldn’t that contribute to the overall loss of “gameplayer” base??

Unfortunately, XTC does hit one thing on the head squarely, players are leaving, with very few coming in to take their places.

Your welcome to suggest that I need a new comp, or that perhaps I just need to adapt, but I will tell you now, I already know those things. I’d love a new comp, but I’m to busy raising my kids, getting to work, and generally doing all those other things that I’m required to do, to spend much more time/money re-learning, or buying hardware to match all the changes in this one game (no matter how brilliant the game is/was) will require.

Please don’t think I’m trying to bash developers, I understand the need/want for advancement, but can we have some “old POS” computer settings that result in a reasonably pleasant gameplay experience?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@tumbleweed wrote:

Before I go off the deep end (may be too late) another point that hasn’t been brought up is the “newer” versions (since 40.1) have been much more hardware dependent, IE, they don’t run on old hardware very well, and 43 beta won’t run on this comp…

try testing things like landdetailerror and lowtreedetail from the console.

i dont think you can turn trees off completely in online games in the most recent versions, because theyre part of the game (missiles and rollers can hit them, so you need to know theyre there), but that’s the only “must” performance hit compared to v41 so far as i know. everthing else can be trimmed and tweaked your end and you should get similar performance.

ive had a quick play with the beta and i dont see any degraded performance my end.

sabi
    Participant

Whats make a game great is PPL (players)
    DO NOT FORCE THEM TO LEAVE

tumbleweed
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@tumbleweed wrote:

Before I go off the deep end (may be too late) another point that hasn’t been brought up is the “newer” versions (since 40.1) have been much more hardware dependent, IE, they don’t run on old hardware very well, and 43 beta won’t run on this comp…

try testing things like landdetailerror and lowtreedetail from the console.

i dont think you can turn trees off completely in online games in the most recent versions, because theyre part of the game (missiles and rollers can hit them, so you need to know theyre there), but that’s the only “must” performance hit compared to v41 so far as i know. everthing else can be trimmed and tweaked your end and you should get similar performance.

ive had a quick play with the beta and i dont see any degraded performance my end.

Thanks Lappy, I’ll give it a try. My point is, however (YES I know, I’m whining, but just a little..) such tweeks aren’t obvious, and can deter someone with an older comp, before they get started.

Thrax
    Participant

@tumbleweed wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ive had a quick play with the beta and i dont see any degraded performance
    my end.

Thanks Lappy, I’ll give it a try. My point is, however (YES I know, I’m whining,
    but just a little..) such tweeks aren’t obvious, and can deter someone with an
    older comp, before they get started.

It runs fine on an old comp, if you can set it well. All i have is old comps.

Tell me your low end pc’s basic details.
    If they are similar to mine, then maybe similar settings can help.

is it better, or worse than a Pentium4 1.5ghz, 133mhz FSB, 512mb Ram, Ati
    Radeon 9200 AGP video with 128mb .

BOY
    Participant

sabi: no one is forced to leave unless they’re banned.

lappy and tumble: Is it worth putting together a newer better help doc on how to get the game to run smoothly? All our tidbits of fixes in troubleshooting threads must go back for a long long time.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@boy wrote:

lappy and tumble: Is it worth putting together a newer better help doc on how to get the game to run smoothly? All our tidbits of fixes in troubleshooting threads must go back for a long long time.

maybe. those couple of things i mentioned are new. a lot of the old tweaks probably dont apply anymore.

i have to mention, and i know im always going on about this, and i dont want to detract from tumbleweed’s very valid point…

scorched3d has nowhere near the hardware requirements of other contemporary 3d games. any pc that’s capable of running a modern proprietary, graphically competitive game, will run scorched3d twice over, easily, even at the very highest settings.

i am all for keeping things scalable, we’re cross platform – many linux users have aging hardware.

The AI
    Participant

For the MCB issue, couldn’t we simply ask that people use the MCB sever for MCB matches? Its there, the download is tiny, and everyone would be happy, wouldn’t they? I’m pretty sure we could set it up for a last round FFA, simply by tweaking some of the arms levels a bit.

Sure, a MCB match would take place on mains every now and then, but it wouldn’t hurt anything, would it? New players would see that MCB is set aside for a specific sever, and old players would be able to still play in the manner they’d like.

From an exterior perspective, it looks like everyone has been sitting in the same room, with the same people, dealing with the same problems, for a touch too long. Most of the questions – Should there be bots on main? Should the Dev forum be visible? Should the prices be changed? and so forth – could be answered with a few polls and a test group or two.

With all that in mind, how can I help?

Chopper
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

scorched3d has nowhere near the hardware requirements of other contemporary 3d games. any pc that’s capable of running a modern proprietary, graphically competitive game, will run scorched3d twice over, easily, even at the very highest settings….

Don’t I wish LapTop….lol…Im still trying to get my pOs intel duo, 4GB laptrap to run reliably. I think I found the “happy spot ” though. Thanks for the tip on the “full power” while plugged in to a/c.

BOY
    Participant

everyone knows scorchers are a pretty penniless bunch. Can’t afford iphones cuz we need a darn Gcard for this old Win98 machine. 😀

tumbleweed
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Yes, I think it would be helpful.

@thrax wrote:

Similar, AMD 64 2800+ at 1.6G, Dynamic, 2G ram, DDR400, 800mhz FSB Nvidia Geforce 6200, agp 128M However, it is on a ASUS K8u-x board with a ULi M1689 single chip chipset, it’s performance may be lacking…

Also, current Scorched, 42.1(eh) (and it’s mods) run fine here. The next version (43) when I tried it in XP (same comp) with similar graphics settings was not playable. I have not yet had the time to compile it for my Linux (Mepis 8.0.15) install, my initial attempts failed, and I have not yet had the time to sit down and try again.

Thrax
    Participant

@tumbleweed wrote:

@boy wrote:

lappy and tumble: Is it worth putting together a newer better help doc on how
    to get the game to run smoothly? All our tidbits of fixes in troubleshooting
    threads must go back for a long long time.

Yes, I think it would be helpful.

@thrax wrote:

Similar, AMD 64 2800+ at 1.6G, Dynamic, 2G ram, DDR400, 800mhz FSB Nvidia
    Geforce 6200, agp 128M However, it is on a ASUS K8u-x board with a ULi
    M1689 single chip chipset, it’s performance may be lacking…

Also, current Scorched, 42.1(eh) (and it’s mods) run fine here. The next
    version (43) when I tried it in XP (same comp) with similar graphics settings
    was not playable. I have not yet had the time to compile it for my Linux (Mepis
    8.0.15) install, my initial attempts failed, and I have not yet had the time to sit
    down and try again.

you’re funny.. Similar my shiny red tukus… 😛 You have at least 3-4x my
    speed and capacity.

I guess the next question would be.. What do you percieve as Playable
    Performance?

I commonly get 25-40 FPS with my setup. I find that more than acceptable
    and easy to view. If you mean you get less than 200 fps.. (grabs large stick
    to bonk with..)

For me, it would define my setting best if i Showed you instead of described..
    Resolution 1024×768. Anti-aliasing 1. Sound Channels 8.
    [attachment=0:1g11k58n]Settings.jpg[/attachment:1g11k58n]

Could someone reliable please move these last 4-5 posts about Weed’s settings
    issue to Bazzz’s V43 Thread?
    viewtopic.php?t=5998

BOY
    Participant

Yes, I’ll have a go at that tomorrow. As it is I can’t focus, its late and I would wind up splitting the wrong posts…..

tumbleweed
    Participant

I’ll try changing the settings later, but to be honest I barely get 25-40 fps most times on V42.1, (Mepis 8.0.15) and play is very choppy in V43 (WindowsXP)

To be honest the relevant part may be the graphics cards. They are closely matched. I did at one point have a Nvidia 5200 FX in this machine and Scorched WAS unplayable, until I sprang for the 6200 card.

Another possibility is the ULi chipset this board uses, being a single chip chipset it may be creating bottlenecks where none should be, I wonder if I can get a cheap Nvidia based board off Ebay… or the elusive Nvidia7200 AGP graphics card I’ve thusfar only seen advertised…

BOY
    Participant

I split the topic for at Thrax’s request. I can move it to feature requests or merge with another topic if still requested

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.