This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DireWolf 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

DireWolf
    Participant

Took my daughters to Moaning Caverns, and did a 164 foot drop 😈
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/12/12/TRGITA8JU11.DTL
    I was very proud to watch my girls overcome thier fears, my oldest kept singing “Close to you” all the way down, it sounded really cool echoing off the walls, I made a video and posted it on U Tube 😉
    you can hear her at the very begining.
    I really enjoyed this day, and I hope you enjoy the video.
    btw, im the guy in the orange shirt 🙄

Thrax
    Participant

Totally wicked!.. 😀

i’ve always dreamed of cave-diving someday.

of course, reading the Myst books and playing all 5 games kinda
    fueled it a bit..

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

I want to be your kid, DW!

Not only does that look like a lot of fun, but the fact thta you got to spend an adveture like that with your kids? That makes it all the better!

Good job, dad! You’ve earned the near impossible score of 5 Cowbells*

Deathbal
    Participant

Didn’t you ever watch the movie “Decent”? no cave diving for me 😆

DireWolf
    Participant

@nomoresteve wrote:

Not only does that look like a lot of fun, but the fact thta you got to spend an adveture like that with your kids? That makes it all the better!

Good job, dad! You’ve earned the near impossible score of 5 Cowbells*

The prestigious 5 CowBells…. WOW thanx.

We did this yesterday, and I feel like the lucky one, when I got to the bottom I ran up the stairway, worried about my kids, only to see my oldest grinning from ear to ear singing and hopping around like a monkey, my youngest on the otherhand froze in fear when it came time to let go of the edge of the wall and begin the free hanging part of the decent, for 5 minutes she fought her fear and just before somebody got there to help her she let go and was able to finish on her own, cant say that I have ever been this proud in my life.

Thanx guys
    -Dire

BOY
    Participant

@nomoresteve wrote:

another secret desire revealed!

I have two girls also but they are really small, I wonder what it will be like to have young adult women as my kids one day…. I hope we can have fun doing fun stuff like that but my wife sure loves pretty pink things and ballet… 😡

That drop looked like a blast! I would love to try that, I’ve rapeled, but never in a cave.

I did take a guided spelunking tour of The Devils Ice Box in Missouri once, (Missouri is the cave state actually – more caves than any state)

We paddled and carried canoes for about a half mile and then went down to this bat cave through a little off shoot cave tunnel about two feet in diameter. Was at a decline and no room to turn back, all that you can see are the boots in front of you and jagget rocks, I could barely even look behind me. It was super spooky, but awesome!

DireWolf
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I have two girls also but they are really small, I wonder what it will be like to have young adult women as my kids one day…. I hope we can have fun doing fun stuff like that but my wife sure loves pretty pink things and ballet… 😡

Thats what the wife likes 😈 but what will the kids like!
    my girls love girly stuff, but arent afraid to pick up a slimy toad…. lol

you would laugh if you saw our backyard, we have snails all over, and my kids paint the shells 😆 we have the coolest snails on the block. 😉

FREAK
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

Totally wicked!.. 😀

fueled it a bit..

Ahh the Myst games…

challenging puzzles and very nice scenery and sound.

A very fun game too!

Played em all.

Was stuck in antramia (the one with all the rollers and tracks. Very cool!).
    in myst 3 exile for like a whole 2 days lol!

Irishbandit
    Participant

All i can say is sweet!!! 😀 😀

FREAK
    Participant

I SAW THE DIRE WOLF LURKING IN THE CAVES! O_o

hobbesme
    Participant

Wait, wait, wait.

Forget the cool spelunking adventure.

Where the heck did the SoupNazi get such good-looking daughters?! 😮

I thought I was watching Some Other Teen Video like I Know Where You Were Spelunking Last Summer. It wasn’t until I actually saw the SoupNazi that I was sure I was watching the right video. 😆 😉 😀

Anyways, that does look awfully exciting & adventurous. Did you need a permit &/or classes to do the spelunking? I went to my first caves this Feb. in Kentucky — Carter Caves. They have some caves with spelunking opportunities but you have to be licensed or something.

Thanks for sharing such a cool outing with your family. What a neat opportunity for you all & for your daughters to impress their old man.

What’s next? Skydiving? 🙂

Deathstryker
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

Anyways, that does look awfully exciting & adventurous. Did you need a permit &/or classes to do the spelunking? I went to my first caves this Feb. in Kentucky — Carter Caves. They have some caves with spelunking opportunities but you have to be licensed or something.

Dude, I’ve been to Carter Caves too…. Of course, I only live 20 miles from there so it wasn’t THAT big of an adventure, lol. You should have paid me a visit while you were in the area.

@~FREAK~ wrote:

@thrax wrote:

Totally wicked!.. 😀

fueled it a bit..

Ahh the Myst games…

challenging puzzles and very nice scenery and sound.

A very fun game too!

Played em all.

Was stuck in antramia (the one with all the rollers and tracks. Very cool!).
    in myst 3 exile for like a whole 2 days lol!

That reminds me: I was looking through my old DOS games/Early Windows games, and found my old Myst CD. I also found a couple of Space Quest games, my original DOOM CD, Swat, Command and Conquer, Return to Zork, Oregon Trail 2, Dungeon Keeper, and a few others. All the memories came flooding back to the good ol’ days.

hobbesme
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

I went to my first caves this Feb. in Kentucky — Carter Caves.

@deathstryker wrote:

Dude, I’ve been to Carter Caves too…. Of course, I only live 20 miles from there so it wasn’t THAT big of an adventure, lol. You should have paid me a visit while you were in the area.

Dude, like how the heck am I supposed to know you live in backwoods Kentucky?! 😉

Our best friends relocated to Grayson a little over a year ago. We visited them for a week each in Jan. 2006 & Feb. 2007.

Now that I know, I’d be more than happy to meet you in-person the next we visit KY. Are you off of I-64, Hwy 7, where?

Deathstryker
    Participant

I’m just across the river in Ohio (look at the location text next to my name). You take 64 to 52 and you can get to my house that way.

Getting back to topic, that was a nice a vid. Looks like fun.

Viking62
    Participant

Really cool Dire. More people need to take the time to do activities with thier children–Way to go 😀 I have one daughter left at home;she is 11.
    I’m also proud of my kids. Examples….When I acidentally started the forest fire/my daughter helped rake & shovel. Helped remodel our kitchen….can measure & knows fasteners & tools. Drives our 10,000lb tractor & nissan 4×4 truck (my driver on the farm). My fishing buddy also can operate the 17ft bass boat (slow speeds). She goes on quad rides with me on her own 250 2cycle 4-wheeler. Kids can do most anything;its
    up to the parents to teach em the finer things in life. BTW…@ 11 she is starting to worry about how she looks & the boy thing 😯 (she’ blonde/blue) They grow up too fast! Wont be long…….I’ll need da big hammer 😉 In closing……Great job Dire! Glad to know ya dude 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.