This topic contains 63 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 10 years, 11 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #36000

    Shotzo
    Participant

    At about post #5 in the topic…

    And cbx, that warning wasn’t aimed at you.. It was aimed at people who’ve posted in this topic.

    In the meantime, I am compelled to say “wow! look at all that code needed to make another dialog box!! And I still can’t seem to just quite make this stupid widget box of mine not be so stubborn and actually decide to have a width, and a height, OTHER than 0.”

    #36001

    .–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

    k shotzo.. i’m really starting to dislike you.

    when you begin to mess with the servers & admins, you start to mess
    with the moderators & developers who make it possible for the server
    administrators to publish.. so players can enjoy scorched 3D the way
    it was intended to be played without any forms of cheating or meddleing
    with files to benefit themselves or for whatever bad intentions.

    alot of these people on scorched 3D are very old friends ..
    friends who have been playing scorched earth before you knew
    what a computer even was.

    why would anyone want to cheat in scorched?
    part of the fun is aiming and calculating wind & power of your shots

    >>>>IN YOUR HEAD.<<<<<

    how retarted is that? is the game really THAT hard to play that you
    would want to cheat?

    mumbles..

    wish these damn script kiddies would just go back to their
    retarded yahoo l33t booters & stop trying to make a good thing bad.
    seeing that you love to figure out ways to flood a game server to begin
    with.

    cant you children find anything better to do with your time?
    playing army? , collecting pokemon cards? something?

    are we all seeing a new child version of an
    apollo tangent *type* here ??

    *clicks ban vote button repeatidly*

    #36002

    jdog
    Participant

    @.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

    k shotzo.. i’m really starting to dislike you.

    ……
    are we all seeing a new child version of an
    apollo tangent *type* here ??

    *clicks ban vote button repeatidly*

    OUCH

    #36003

    JiNx
    Participant

    wow heavy maths just gave me a headache
    my personal view on this is that i love the community and love helping ppl
    so i chat loads and get to no ppl and make good friends
    which personaly makes scorched even more enjoyable when catching up ppl and seeing how there doing and what theve been up to since you last sparred against them.

    if ppl use these maths, equation, charts, calculation, how can you interact and make friends and overall enjoy the game

    #36004

    mooic
    Participant

    To shockwave,

    I second you repeated attack of the ban button i too am hitting it with a hammer!!!!

    To shotzo

    Go away and fiddle with somebodyelses code!

    #36005

    apache64d
    Participant

    Alright… I think now it is a good time to say: pls, everybody, chill out.
    Shock I don’t know if u just had a bad day or something but u know the rules of the forums and the kind of language we don’t used in it.
    Shotzo as u see u got few enemies in here already, all cause of cheating and spamming and flooding.
    Pls, for u, “lowdown your profile”.
    Every1 else, pls don’t heat it up.

    I’m (temporarly) locking this topic.

    #36006

    apache64d
    Participant

    unlocked

    #36007

    Shotzo
    Participant

    Now this time: Remember, this is a Debate not a FLAME WAR

    Okies?

    #36008

    Willis
    Participant

    @shotzo wrote:

    Now this time: Remember, this is a Debate not a FLAME WAR

    Okies?

    *sighs*

    Shotzo.. don’t push your luck. Plz?

    *goes to bed*

    #36009

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    @willis wrote:

    @shotzo wrote:

    Now this time: Remember, this is a Debate not a FLAME WAR

    Okies?

    *sighs*

    Shotzo.. don’t push your luck. Plz?

    *goes to bed*

    Thank-you Willis!!!!!

    #36010

    SPYRER
    Participant

    Come on here people, reality check has bounced

    An improved interface is not a cheat, it is an aid like counting squares, calculators, rulers, and using a warp grid (either version). And for tracing or tracking your shots how is that different from watching your shots or asking someone on your chat program “where did my shot go?”

    Cheating would be moving the cursor over the target and have the program tell you what you need to hit it one hundred percent of the time. Or a hack to give yourself money and/or health. Altering the source code to have small missiles behave like homing missiles, or assigning the bots to shoot at a specific target. All of these cheats have been used in other versions, and can be written in this or future versions but what is the point?

    Is any ranking you get here going to get you money, employment or even a romantic interlude.

    One of the grand benifits of open sourse is people can improve on the exiting code. More then a few years back calling up your shot history was being refered to as cheating. When people truce or help each other with shots on chat is that a cheat, or is only using teamspeak a cheat? but graphic interfaces and improvement of the shot history are not.

    #36011

    Shotzo
    Participant

    Thank you.

    Oh, and dare I say I added more significant figures to the power, angle, and rotation; since round-off error causes them to get all funky.

    And by the way, in case anyone’s wondering:
    I never took physics, it will probably be another year before I do, and google is of NO help whatsoever. Neither are the seniors.

    And plus, if I did somehow accomplish this, you’d THINK I’d give the sourcey code to gcamp to improve the robots?

    Plus, there’re multiple solutions to the shot problem… and some solutions that’re negative, and some that you just can’t do due to terrain. And not to mention the fact that the target is not an x axis.

    OH wow! I typed a lot; which is bad for my health. Hey look, I used a semicolon… correctly!

    #36012

    Willis
    Participant

    @spyrer wrote:

    Come on here people, reality check has bounced

    An improved interface is not a cheat, it is an aid like counting squares, calculators, rulers, and using a warp grid (either version). And for tracing or tracking your shots how is that different from watching your shots or asking someone on your chat program “where did my shot go?”

    Cheating would be moving the cursor over the target and have the program tell you what you need to hit it one hundred percent of the time. Or a hack to give yourself money and/or health. Altering the source code to have small missiles behave like homing missiles, or assigning the bots to shoot at a specific target. All of these cheats have been used in other versions, and can be written in this or future versions but what is the point?

    Is any ranking you get here going to get you money, employment or even a romantic interlude.

    One of the grand benifits of open sourse is people can improve on the exiting code. More then a few years back calling up your shot history was being refered to as cheating. When people truce or help each other with shots on chat is that a cheat, or is only using teamspeak a cheat? but graphic interfaces and improvement of the shot history are not.

    Let me try and explain something…

    — Shotzo if this is incorrect please let me know —

    As I understand it, Shotzo made changes to the game that allows him to see, via a tracer position or a smoke-trail, where all shots *not just his own* have gone.

    As well an interface allowing him to clear that information so his screen does not get cluttered up.



    I’m sorry, but although it dosn’t give him direct information and values to use for shooting… in the hands of any vetern thats the next best thing!

    He has a blueprint of all the shots and the corrections needed to make his following shot hit the target, or get close enough in the region that the next attack will be a kill.

    This information not only being that critical, but its information that NOBODY else has. THIS!!!!!!!!! is why its considered cheating by many. An unfair and illogical (he shouldn’t need this tool) “improvement” (his words not mine) that only he controls.



    And that only displays one of his modifications… I honestly don’t know anymore the range of changes he has made. Shotzo maybe if you took a chance to enlighten us on all your modifications *current and in progress* that would be apreciated.

    #36013

    BigBear
    Participant

    @willis wrote:

    This information not only being that critical, but its information that NOBODY else has.

    If that is not cheating, I don’t know what is. Ctrl+g grid although EXTREMLY lame (while I’m at it let me repeat my position if anyone did not know it: LET’S REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME) is at least available to everyone who lives and dies by their rank & kill ratio.

    @spyrer wrote:

    One of the grand benifits of open sourse is people can improve on the exiting code. More then a few years back calling up your shot history was being refered to as cheating. When people truce or help each other with shots on chat is that a cheat, or is only using teamspeak a cheat? but graphic interfaces and improvement of the shot history are not.

    To put it mildly I disagree. The whole point of the benefits you are talking about is that they can be SHARED by EVERYONE. If a people alters the code to get an edge for themselves I fail to see how words like benefit/useful/improvement apply. I do agree that using VOIP for silent truces is cheating, but the point is moot since it’s impossible to do anything about.
    Oh and there is a very real practical difference to have a software implemented trace aid as opposed to someone telling you where your shot went in terms of how much it will help. Maby not a philosophical or moral difference, but when you actually play the game i can assure you that it is the practical difference that matters.
    As an example we can used my favourite example the ctrl+g grid. Philosophically or morally it is not any different from using a ruler or someone more skilled than you giving hints. The PRACTICAL difference on the other hand is huge. Short of cheaters with aim scripts gridders are redicilously accurate compared to any other aid. For the interested reader take a look at the stats and sort for kill ratio for people with more than 250 kills. Gee, I wonder how’s using aids and who is not

    Sincerely,

    BB

    #36014

    Shotzo
    Participant

    @willis wrote:

    @spyrer wrote:

    Come on here people, reality check has bounced

    An improved interface is not a cheat, it is an aid like counting squares, calculators, rulers, and using a warp grid (either version). And for tracing or tracking your shots how is that different from watching your shots or asking someone on your chat program “where did my shot go?”

    Cheating would be moving the cursor over the target and have the program tell you what you need to hit it one hundred percent of the time. Or a hack to give yourself money and/or health. Altering the source code to have small missiles behave like homing missiles, or assigning the bots to shoot at a specific target. All of these cheats have been used in other versions, and can be written in this or future versions but what is the point?

    Is any ranking you get here going to get you money, employment or even a romantic interlude.

    One of the grand benifits of open sourse is people can improve on the exiting code. More then a few years back calling up your shot history was being refered to as cheating. When people truce or help each other with shots on chat is that a cheat, or is only using teamspeak a cheat? but graphic interfaces and improvement of the shot history are not.

    Let me try and explain something…

    — Shotzo if this is incorrect please let me know —

    As I understand it, Shotzo made changes to the game that allows him to see, via a tracer position or a smoke-trail, where all shots *not just his own* have gone.

    As well an interface allowing him to clear that information so his screen does not get cluttered up.



    I’m sorry, but although it dosn’t give him direct information and values to use for shooting… in the hands of any vetern thats the next best thing!

    He has a blueprint of all the shots and the corrections needed to make his following shot hit the target, or get close enough in the region that the next attack will be a kill.

    This information not only being that critical, but its information that NOBODY else has. THIS!!!!!!!!! is why its considered cheating by many. An unfair and illogical (he shouldn’t need this tool) “improvement” (his words not mine) that only he controls.



    And that only displays one of his modifications… I honestly don’t know anymore the range of changes he has made. Shotzo maybe if you took a chance to enlighten us on all your modifications *current and in progress* that would be apreciated.


    Here’s how I implemented the tracers:
    I effectively made it so all shots have the attribute.

    UNLESS somehow out of the blue showtracer ALREADY lets you see where everyone else’s tracers went.. I don’t see how you could’ve drawn this conclusion.

    Everyone has access to the (only) table I’ve made. The other tables, well, just plain suck and I don’t use them.

    And the interface to let me remove it? — Hell! That’s in the next version of scorched! Sorry, I like things *now*. Don’t know about you all..
    And sometimes you just want *everything* gone. Smoke tracers, tracers, and all.

    And as for making baby missiles into homing missiles…. wtf?! How is a SERVER going to let you get away with this when it TELLS you where a shot has landed!

    Oh! And time for a little ‘physics’ lesson from someone who never took physics:

    A projectile retains its original horizontal velocity component throughout its flight.

    Given a landscape or a target which is higher than, or lower than, your tank, this will add more or less ‘shot time’ to the projectile, allowing it to travel further in its horizontal direction…

    Now, knowing this, this gives us a probable area of hitting in 0 wind conditions, a line…

    Now, given the ‘a’ key, which is available to all, in no wind conditions… firing a shot randomly by varying power or elevation will alas, result in possible landing sites which are also, quite surprisingly, a line.
    (By they way: I released the stupid tables LONG ago… No one ever replied to it.)

    Now, assuming we always fire at 1000 power, and just vary our elevation… in windy conditions, we will have a footprint in the shape of an ellipse. Not surprisingly, this is with or without a table.

    The only key distinction: The line/ellipse gets smaller with a table/developed neural network.

    Now, knowing that it’s an ellipse, we can use a rule of thumb estimate to guess where our stupid shot might land before it is fired. We compensate, and as such, increase the ellipse’s area, or turn it back into a line — DEPENDING ON YOUR GUESS. (Yes! I have to do guesswork too!)

    Additionally, the ‘grid’ only gives you rough estimates as to distances — every 16 movement squares.
    To get the resolution I showed you in the tables I released, I had to actually count.. (yes, count) the amount of lines my shot went over between me and the landing spot (using drawlines on), and estimate ONE significant figure..

    Plot the table in excel, you’ll find that it is indeed, inaccurate. That’s where a regression function comes in, which I believe I’ve posted somewhere…

    Now the only modifications to the interface are as follows:
    – Tracers on every shot fired. (But the OTHER code which has remained untouched, says ‘DON’T’ show tracers for OTHER players.)
    – RT and ResetTracer console command.
    – KP5 binding to the function that RT calls. (Didn’t know about keys.xml and the attribute then. Whoops.)
    – Statusbar Widget. It’s red, it pulsates, it shows DEBUG INFORMATION ONLY not CHEATING-RELATED STUFF
    – Extra sigfig on:
    — Power
    — Rotation
    — Elevation
    — Wind
    — Their tooltips.
    – The Teamsay and say widgets (when you press enter) allow you to type / then a console command, and it will PARSE the console command, as though you were typing it into the console itself.
    – Landscape fog is clipped back down 10000% if the fog is greater than 90% ‘foggy’. jdog mod’s void map is the ONLY one this effects, and even then — black terrain does not reflect light well.
    – The sun is brighter. (Note: this is NO different than gamma correction or brightness. So lay off. Please.)
    – The port for my MySQL server (3309) is HARD-CODED into the application itself, because I was unable to get past tmp/mysql.sock not being created.. and stuff.
    – I changed the constant that read 40.1d to read 40.1e.
    – Added a /admin money admin command.
    – Added a /admin giveaccessory command. Doesn’t work; I was unable to parse three parameters. (Odd.)
    – Added a /admin fireaccessory command. Not implemented, just a placeholder for now.
    – Added a /admin reload command to reload a different server configuration file.. REMOTELY.. without the GUI. (Hey, this one’s actually useful.)
    – Added a reset_relative key to call subroutine makeshot().
    – Made the camera less restrictive.
    — I can go up to 2000 high instead of 250.. (bigger ceiling. Whoopie.)
    — I can go down to -50 instead of 5 (That was a mistake.. but not that big of one.)
    — I can look straight down, instead of .. angled. (Ooh.. the shaking camera goes all FUNKY at this level. Even moreso than it does when the camera is horizontal. (Bug??)
    — Shaking is clipped to 3.0 instead of 5.0.
    – Changed maximum money from 999,999 to 2,000,000. Tempted to change it to 4,200,000 if it’s stored as an unsigned long… VERY tempted.
    – Prefixed all player names in the score dialog with their destination id. (4:Player; etc.)
    – Placed an extra thing in tank tooltips to show the tank destination id.
    – Changed the server introduction message to count down 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2 seconds, 1 second….
    – Changed the server connection handler to say:


    You are banned.


    when someone who is banned tries to connect.
    – Changed the server to prevent 707690183 from connecting.
    – Changed the server (yet again) to prevent bots from ranking at any place other than the last place possible in the MySQL database.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.