This topic contains 63 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Shotzo
    Participant

By external calculator, do you mean “piece of paper with chicken scratch written upon,”? That’s *essentially* what I’ve been doing. I just have a table off to the side that shows the proper power values for gravities which are not the default.. for example, -5 gravity needs 707.4 power in order to be accurate, and when a bigger shot is needed, or an apex weapon is being used, merely set power to 1000 and use the table like normal.

And as for you calculator argument: that’s like saying everyone on a physics test must give the answer in 45 seconds without a calculator, and be accurate to within .5%.

Personally, I’d LOVE to see someone multiply the sine of 57.3 by the square of 707.4 divided by the square of 1000… and calculate the amount of hang time of a projectile, as well as the distance, in less than 45 seconds, without the aid of a calculator, only a piece of paper.

Not only that, the formulas don’t work well for certain angles due to parallax.

For example, 0 degrees at 1000 power goes how far? I’ll leave that as an experiment for the reader.

… and as for my English skills, it’s called 9th grade English class. Perhaps you skipped this course? Talk with whomever manages which classes you take for help in this area.

Additionally, it would be interesting to note how well the human brain can estimate distances. Ask yourself: how far away is my mouse from my eyes? You should find that range estimation comes naturally.

Also, guess what people in tanks do? It could be considered a ‘war game’, and so, by using tables and calculators and formulas, would their enemy consider this “cheating”? I should hope not, as this enemy won’t stay an enemy very long by complaining.

Hiroyuki
    Participant

I think someone kinda lost the point about playing a game – its about having fun; and is it really fun for other players if someone uses external aids to their advantage? If there was to be a calculator or similar used for this game i believe it should have been included in the game itself – which it is not…

I sincerely hope that we can have fun, and not be so obsessed with winning. If you want your realism with calculators and tables et cetera, i suggest you find a more realistic game than scorched, which is meant for having fun.

cbx550f
    Participant

I have a couple points to make. Some of these may be shocking to some.

@shotzo wrote:

By external calculator, do you mean “piece of paper with chicken scratch written upon,”? That’s *essentially* what I’ve been doing. I just have a table off to the side that shows the proper power values for gravities which are not the default.. for example, -5 gravity needs 707.4 power in order to be accurate, and when a bigger shot is needed, or an apex weapon is being used, merely set power to 1000 and use the table like normal.

Couple of comments on this:

• First of all, fellow Scorched players, do you REALLY think he’s the first to do this?
      It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to think of making a few notes (and maybe a clear ruler) to help improve your shooting. It’s rather obvious that some people will do that, to me. Right or wrong? I don’t know – it seems like cheating in a way, sure, but it also seems just plain sensible and resourceful.
    • I have no second point anymore. Damn that memory!

And as for you calculator argument: that’s like saying everyone on a physics test must give the answer in 45 seconds without a calculator, and be accurate to within .5%.

Again, there is two arguaments for this. The one is that “using a calculator is cheating!”. The other, and the one I subscribe to, is that “if you can find a way to use a calculator to figure out the shot in the allotted time, the timer is too long.” 😉

Added note: If you have automated the calculation, that’s a cheat, IMO.

Personally, I’d LOVE to see someone multiply the sine of 57.3 by the square of 707.4 divided by the square of 1000… and calculate the amount of hang time of a projectile, as well as the distance, in less than 45 seconds, without the aid of a calculator, only a piece of paper.

Well, THIS is the one you get a big arguement from me on, Shotzo. 😉
    I can not be able to do that math in my head that fast. However, I CAN (sometimes lol) make a damned good esitmate. That’s due to two things: Understanding of the principals, and, perhaps moreso, experience. Trust me, make enough shots at 60 degrees, and you start to just KNOW how hard to shoot. 😉 (Also, it makes it easy to shoot at 30, as the power is the same, assuming no wind)

Don’t assume that everyone who makes good shots is using tools. I remember when I first started, I was amazed. I often thought “Are they cheating or doing something that I haven’t thought of?” – I came to discover that they were just GOOD. Spend a couple years at this, and you can make some pretty quick guesses at shots that are awful close. 😉

… and as for my English skills, it’s called 9th grade English class. Perhaps you skipped this course? Talk with whomever manages which classes you take for help in this area.

Be nice, please. He was just making the point that his English may not be the best, as it’s not his native language.
    Although, he makes a good point – your English is shockingly good… The lack of English speaking people who can actually type English drives me nuts. BD, your English is better than many of the North American people I see around.

Additionally, it would be interesting to note how well the human brain can estimate distances. Ask yourself: how far away is my mouse from my eyes? You should find that range estimation comes naturally.

Well, after a while, it does come naturally. I look at a situation (in-game), and VERY quickly I know the power. Odd that I usually second-guess it and mes it up. lol
    It takes a bit, but anyone playing for a bit should get the feel of it, and be able to quickly guess. (Some more accurate than others, of course)

Also, guess what people in tanks do? It could be considered a ‘war game’, and so, by using tables and calculators and formulas, would their enemy consider this “cheating”? I should hope not, as this enemy won’t stay an enemy very long by complaining.

In numerous debates here I have said “it’s a war game”, and given that, we should “suck it up” a bit on little things. As far as I’m concerned, if you can use a ruler and a calculator and/or tables to figure out your shot, that’s either okay, or the shot timer is too long. 😉

However, if you alter your client to do these calculations for you, that’s not okay. That’s just simple cheating. Shotzo, you mentioned having the game mark the shot landing points – I’m on the fence on that one. It’s close to the line, IMO. Maybe over, maybe not. You get points for cleverness in doing it, but then again, if you are clever enough to do it, you likely don’t need to. 😉
    Before the previous release, I had, on my client, the ability to see the number of lives left of me and my opponents, whereas others didn’t. I felt guilty about THAT. lol
    If you change the source to make the game better or more pleasurable, please let us know what you changed. 🙂
    If you make a change to make things unfair to others without the change, you likely should question using it.

Trod carefully, my friend, and you can work wonders. Trod without care; you’ll step on toes, and nobody will see the wonders.

cbx

mooic
    Participant

[rant] Wtf? Its a game not a math quiz!!!!!! The idea is to have fun, not analyze it to death, I just point and shoot using instinct picked up from practice! I cant believe that anyone would go to all that trouble just to get an accurate shot when you know that a noob is gunna funky you to death anyway. [/rant]

apache64d
    Participant

Damn! Shotzo, dude it is only a fun computer game… what’s the fun of calculating and doing math and writing note during a..computer GAME. This is a “war GAME” not a real tank wars…
    Have no more to say. All been said by the others already.
    I’m just amazed how some ppl making a “war plans and math calculation (u only need now a GPS program or something like that)” in a simple enjoyable fun computer game.
    😯

Shotzo
    Participant

Here’s one change that MIGHT seem a little weird:
    ServerConnectHandler.cpp

// Check if this unique id has been banned
    if (uniqueId.c_str()[0])
    {
    ServerBanned::BannedType type =
    ScorchedServerUtil::instance()->bannedPlayers.getBanned(ipAddress, uniqueId.c_str());
    if (type == ServerBanned::Banned)
    {
    ServerCommon::sendString(destinationId,
    formatString(
    "
    n"
    "You are banned from this server.n"
    "
    ")
    , false);
    Logger::log(formatString("Banned uniqueid connection from destination "%i"",
    destinationId));
    ServerCommon::kickDestination(destinationId);
    return true;
    }
    }

And another, this one instead makes it a LOT easier to set up ranks.:
    StatsLoggerMySQL.cpp

if (!mysql_real_connect(
    mysql_,
    host.c_str(),
    user.c_str(),
    passwd.c_str(),
    db.c_str(),
    //0, "/tmp/mysql.sock", 0)) // Original code; uses a cotton sock
    port, "", 0))

ShotProjectile.cpp

void ShotProjectile::doCollision(Vector &position)
    {
    if (!context_->serverMode)
    {
    if (getWeapon()->getShowShotPath())
    {
    RenderTracer::instance()->
    addSmokeTracer(playerId_, position, positions_);
    }
    else if (getWeapon()->getShowEndPoint())
    {
    addTracer(playerId_, position);
    } else {
    // just GUESS what this shows.
    addTracer(playerId_, position);
    }
    }

Vector velocity;
    getWeapon()->getCollisionAction()->fireWeapon(
    *context_,
    playerId_, position, getCurrentVelocity(), data_);
    }

The above code seems to make it more pleasurable… especially during sequential games with 24 players (human) or so.. since you don’t have to remember exactly where the shot hit. The only downside is when you fire shocking rain.. or the equivalent projectile with many sub-projectiles. That’s where a button to clear tracers comes in.

The code doesn’t add that much of an advantage, per se, as the enemy could VERY easily use a finger, piece of tape, position the camera right over the impact, or if they wanted, use the change of terrain texture (Which doesn’t work very well if you can’t SEE it due to some reason.)

TankScore.cpp

static const int maxMoney = 2000000;

Hey guess what this did! Now the server can have TWICE as much cash per player! What a concept.

ServerAddPlayerHandler.cpp

ServerCommon::sendString(0,
    //formatString("Player changed name "%s"->"%s"",
    formatString("Player changed name from "%s" to "%s"",
    tank->getName(), name.c_str()));

Hey look, the server used English.

RulesDialog.cpp

// Add all the server rules
    std::list &options =
    ScorchedClient::instance()->getOptionsGame().getOptions();
    std::list::iterator itor;
    for (itor = options.begin();
    itor != options.end();
    itor++)
    {
    OptionEntry *entry = (*itor);
    rulesList_->addLine(
    formatString("%s = %s",
    entry->getName(),
    entry->getValueAsString()));
    Logger::log(LoggerInfo(LoggerInfo::TypeDeath, // <-- You can tell I don't know the appropriate constant here.
    formatString("%s = %s",
    entry->getName(),
    entry->getValueAsString())));
    }

Now you can see the rules in a file!

TankAIHuman.cpp (everywhere in it.)

float mult = frameTime;
    if (incKF) mult *= 2.0f; // Originall 4.0f
    else if (incKS) mult *= 0.25f;
    else if (incKVS) mult *= 0.03f; // Originally 0.05f

Neat! Now fine-tuning and coarse-tuning are actually fine and coarse.

Using a TI-89 Titanium:
    Define f(x, g, p) = (1.9639641778103E-09 * x ^ 6 – 6.53204656989037E-07 * x ^ 5 + 0.0000999387823625852 * x ^ 4- 0.00826962719025914 * x ^ 3 + 0.22665853703802 * x ^ 2 + 4.83445775714063 * x + 23.2505434825434) * ((-10 / g) * ((p* 0.001) ^ 2))

Guess what this does? Yep. Tells you the range, and it works faster, because it’s a polynomial.

Then use “Define p(r, g, p) = solve(f(x, g, p) = r, x)”
    That solves it, giving you anywhere from 0, 1, or 2 solutions.

Then at any point after that, you can do p(range, -10, 1000), and it will show you the proper angle of elevation to shoot at in about a half of a second.

Or you can make a table in excel using the formula, and use that.

Then to solve for angle of elevation when taking into account the landscape:
    *guess* the angle that they’re at. (Aim like a laser.), and add that to your elevation you solved for.

Then to solve for wind drift:
    fire, then find the rotation offset, then subtract that from 0 (that is, flip the sign), multiply it by two, and add that to the rotation.
    find how far the shot went off target (range-wise), find the difference between that and the expected range, flip the sign, multiply by two, add, and then resolve the equation.

Once this is all done, the shot will come pretty close to the target… unless the target is lower than you, or you simply don’t have enough projectile magic to get it to the target.

The algorithm is calibrated to work best with -10 gravity, 1000 power, 0 wind, although it still works.

It’s interesting to note that this is not how a bot fires its weapon.. (and that also explains why they can’t adapt.)

I’ve memorized the angle-distance table for -10 gravity, with 1000 power, 9 values for power with which to use if the gravity is below -10, and the various hang-times for the different angles.

Surprisingly enough, this is essentially how people aim, you’re just not aware of it.

Feel free to change the 6th degree polynomial to a better one.

ServerAddPlayerHandler.cpp

if (OptionsParam::instance()->getDedicatedServer())
    {
    char *rank = StatsLogger::instance()->tankRank(tank);
    if (strcmp(rank, "-") != 0)
    {
    ServerCommon::sendString(0,
    //formatString("Welcome back %s, you are ranked %s",
    // non-original string
    formatString("Welcome back %s, you are ranked number %s on this server.",
    tank->getName(), rank), false);
    } else {
    // Branch to welcome new people!
    ServerCommon::sendString(tank->getDestinationId(),
    formatString("Welcome to this server!"), false);
    }

Servers are so unfriendly…

Ebonite
    Participant

Ahh, “fun”. the subjective term of the day. tomorrow it will be “beauty”, or “cold”, or “me-calling-all-the-idiot-drivers-on-the-roads-‘forum-board-arguers’-is-too-lenient”, any of which can be debated, heatedly, for eternity. so, when it comes right down to it, what makes scorched fun? for many, i am sure, the answer is “the people I play with”. coming in second, perhaps even distantly, would likely be “improving my skill/ability/shot making”, because, honestly, little compares to making a really awesome shot when there are witnesses about.

granted, scorched is a game based on artillery physics, which was one of the first applications of calculating machines, those fore-runners of the computers we now play scorched upon. yet i wonder who would truly enjoy a game where every shot was a guaranteed hit? scorched is a game of multiple chances, and the intensity increases as one tries to improve upon their past performance with each successive shot.

for most players, newbies and veterans alike, a first-shot kill is a rarity; something to cheer about (not that i’ve ever done that). the difference, then, between the veteran and the newbie is the veteran has accumulated experience to draw upon when correcting their shot, experience gained through hours, days, weeks, years of playing the game.

i’ve played for over three years now, and i’ve seen tactics and strategies developed, changed, countered, abandoned, and reborn. still couldn’t hit a barn if i was inside it, but i’ve muddled through, making numerous friends and becoming known for a few odd things. another player here on these boards has quoted one of my rare bits of wisdom, “the true mark of a skilled player is the ability to adapt. if they cannot adapt, then maybe they weren’t so skilled to begin with.”

it seems to me that shotzo has fiddled with his client in order to improve his shot-making ability. this may have been done to increase the fun-factor for him, as he can now compete with veterans by correcting his aim faster and more reliably. so perhaps shotzo finds more fun in competing (successfully), than in meeting people and learning. “eye of the beholder” and all that. (subjective term, that “fun” thing.) yet there is such a thing as “being wrong for being right”, and it is here that shotzo has jumped with both feet and maybe a hand or two.

while it is correct that scorched is open-source and can be changed by anyone, the premise among players is that the people they are playing against have the exact same client they possess. this is not to say customization of the gui is forbidden. if one searched the forum for “warp grid”, they’ll find an aid put together by the player community to improve shot-making through the yellow-buoy wrap-around walls. note that this aid was made public, for anyone to acquire and utilize.

the alteration of scorched such that shots are traced could be considered cheating, as the tracer and smoke tracer weapons have to be bought in original scorched and most of the mods thereof. these weapons specifically and intentionally do not do any damage. instead, they show impact point (and arc of travel, in the case of smoke), and require a player to make a further shot to complete the kill. additionally (and to my own knowledge, i could be wrong), there is nothing that can be bought, anywhere, that will show other players’ shots as either tracer or smoke. not that knowing what kinds of shots one’s opponents are making matters, as they are the ones making corrections.

but, changes to the game screen aside, using the game calculation routines to compute a shot in preparation to making the shot is outright cheating. it has not been said either way whether the calculator is game-based or otherwise, but the fear that it is game-based is rather evident. using the game in such a manner is outside the expectations of it’s usage and will likely result in a ban from most major servers.

again, i grant that the game is open-source, but there’s a “spirit of the law” and a “letter of the law” here. cheating through manipulation of the source is going against the spirit of the law, which is what many of the server policies are based upon, not the letter of the law. sure, a closed-source game would prevent such manipulations, but i’m sure everyone knows that will not happen. really, where would this game be if it wasn’t free and open-source?

shall i illustrate the point as i see it? consider scorched to be an archery competition. the contestants can use any arrows provided by the sponsors, but their bows must be identical in form and function. the bows can be painted, carved, and have tassels if desired, but must remain equal in weight, draw, and tension. the only determiner is each contestant’s skill with the bow. some are brand new to archery, others have years of experience. some practice daily, some whenever, and some not at all. some collect detailed data on each and every shot, while others merely shoot for extended periods of time to get a rough feel for the weapon, trusting to intuition rather than tables. but one competitor shows up with a compound bow. while yes, it is a “bow”, it has a longer range and greater accuracy than the standardized bows of the rest of the field, giving that one archer an advantage over his fellows. should the competition proceed?

i foresee several things happening pertaining to this:

1.) shotzo will become unpopular with the players at large, and accusations of cheating will be leveled against him frequently
    2.) various servers will attempt to ban or restrict his playing
    3.) changes to the client will be made so that all players gain the same advantage(s), or the advantages will be somehow blocked or otherwise marginalized
    4.) shotzo’s fun will be attained through trying to beat the system rather than through playing the game

so, it comes down to the concept of fun. alienating the players easily cuts out on eighty-percent of the enjoyment right off. reconnecting to get around bans is certainly the way i want to spend my time. getting the next version and finding one’s modifications ineffective will significantly reduce one’s abilities, whereas skill attained through practice and experimentation won’t be affected. and going through the wrong channels just to prove a point on the internet, whose time is being wasted?

and now some specific replies to things that just irked me:

@shotzo wrote:

yeah, except you missed the part where if you get it wrong, you get to try again, with your previous attempt before you and another 45 seconds, until such time as the person next to you gets their problem right.

@shotzo wrote:

as well as a button to show where people’s shots hit.. cause I get distracted easily… cause often there’s a more prettier explosion somewhere else.

what? you don’t notice the craters all over the map? and did your trawlings through the code reveal that hitting the “c” key ingame brings up a second camera angle, adjustable to anything the main view shows?

@shotzo wrote:

And there IS a downside to having the tracer shots being shown for every shot:: Soon as oh say, “Shocking Rain” is fired.. Oh gasp, I can’t see squat…

funny, haven’t seen that weapon in any game i’ve played…

@shotzo wrote:

except it appears you acquired your tables, calculators, and formulae through theft, and in wartime, spies are shot on sight, no questions asked…

Thrax
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

Ahh, “fun”. the subjective term of the day. tomorrow it will be “beauty”, or “cold”, or “me-calling-all-the-idiot-drivers-on-the-roads-‘forum-board-arguers’-is-too-lenient”, any of which can be debated, heatedly, for eternity. so, when it comes right down to it, what makes scorched fun? for many, i am sure, the answer is “the people I play with”. coming in second, perhaps even distantly, would likely be “improving my skill/ability/shot making”, because, honestly, little compares to making a really awesome shot when there are witnesses about.

@shotzo wrote:

And there IS a downside to having the tracer shots being shown for every shot:: Soon as oh say, “Shocking Rain” is fired.. Oh gasp, I can’t see squat…

funny, haven’t seen that weapon in any game i’ve played…

JDog / Merge mod
    multi-repeating apex bomb that created a hailstorm of Shocking flares.

But.. the rest of is correct.

Willis
    Participant

Thank you Ebonite.

You have illustrated the point, problem, and opinions of all very well.

I’m no math guru, in the sense that I could calculate projectiles in my head. But gimmi a hour to refresh myself on my old physics books and a peice of paper/pencil .. and I’d do just fine.

I don’t however use elaberate formula’s and especially no calculators for the sake of it being a type of cheating.

It may be fun to develop that ability… but implementing I don’t see. Theres no chance for your opponents to fight if you can just as quickly destroy them one shot in f5 winds at long distances.

Hence why I avoide urges to do what Shotzo has done. Just becuase its possible, dons’t make it right.

cbx550f
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

I’ll drink to that!
    You said that quite well – it’s the people who are the most fun, but you MUST include those rare “really good shots”. Once in a long while I make a shot that actually makes me say “Oooooo YEAH!” out loud. Mind you, it usually needs to be against a guy like you, Ebo, that I have played against, and enjoyed it, lots to REALLY get excited about a good shot.

Shotzo – I appreciate some of the things you’ve posted here (the code changes – I don’t agree with all, especially the addTracer bit 😉 ), but just remember: if you do things that will be considered cheating, people will tend to rebel against you. It strikes me that you are bright enough to do well in the game without any aids whatsoever.

I encourage you to be “on our side”. For some reason, in spite of things, you strike me as someone who could be a pleasure to have as a friendly part in the community. I don’t know why, to be honest….
    I just hope I’m right.

cbx

Shotzo
    Participant

You are correct on the ‘friendly’ part, and the ‘bright’. The aids only help for initial shot. No more!

— And yes, I do know about the ‘c’ button…

Did you also not notice the change in the terrain texture, craters, and whatnot when things hit? the addTracer part merely adds another texture, albeit a very tiny, highly accurate, texture.

And just to clarify: I have ABSOLUTELY no clue how to use the ODE collision engine in the source code. Nor do I have ANY clue how to calculate wind drift, or hang-time.

If you notice, the equation I use is that of a regression equation, because I’ve never taken any formal physics courses.

And please, keep personal attacks to a minimum. A debate is different from a fight.

Additionally, I don’t use smoke tracering.. because that’s just plain makes a smokescreen even though I’ve never tried it, I know enough to know that the smoke tracer isn’t transparent.

Also: even with all these aids and stuff, it’s extremely hard to get a perfect 1-shot 1-kill, unless there is ZERO wind, ZERO change in elevation from my tank to the tank, and ZERO error in the regression equation.

The values used to generate the regression equation are from in-game testing that I did myself. Like I said, I don’t know how to use the in-game ODE engine.. (as in: I’m too afraid to even touch it.). The most I know is the launch vector, and that was after hours of searching.

And not to mention the fact that correcting a shot isn’t exactly easy to compute, considering I don’t know where a shot lands in code.

Right now, I’m not even close to being an ‘expert’, or even ‘veteran’.

Please note: I program better in assembly, visual basic, and C, than I do C++.

Oh, and dare I say I am incapable of computing the entire path of a weapon projectile, in real time? Just look at the delay caused whenever something is fired. Now imagine multiplying that delay happening twenty times a second, or even sixty times a second (remember, we’re aiming before something is fired, not during.). You can quickly see where this is going.

cbx550f
    Participant

@mooic wrote:

[rant] Wtf? Its a game not a math quiz!!!!!! ….. [/rant]

Actually this comment about “love to see someone do…” is a bit nuts. I mean the sine of 57.3 would be a bit less than the sine of 60 degress, so about 0.7, divided by the square of 707.4, about 500000. So .7 / 5 / 10^6 = .7 * 2 * 10^-6 = 1.4 * 10^-6. Divided that by 1000^2:
    1.4 * 10^-6 / 10^6 = 1.4 * 10^-12

I didn’t check that, but it took about 30 seconds, in my head and without paper, to come to a close answer to that (meaningless) problem. (I won’t be surprised if I made a nasty sign error or something – I’m not even looking back at it)

Don’t forget, some people are WAY better at that than I am.
    Point is: Some people WILL be able to make calculations quickly and reasonably accurately. I’m not bad at it, but way out of practice. (I don’t bother trying in the game lol). Others who are sharper than I, and in the habit of it would be able to do it WAY faster.

(I just previewed this before I posted, I forgot about the hangtime and distance… lol)

Shotzo
    Participant

Good job! You just found that the distance is 1.4 * 10^-12 movement units!

Hate to say this but that is vastly incorrect…

Now try calculating hang-time, wind vector, and square the hang-time, multiply that by the wind vector, and add that to the distance vector.. and you got yourself a highly inaccurate model of where something will hit.

I must admit though, it does show you which way the wind goes.. hehe.

cbx550f
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@mooic wrote:

[rant] Wtf? Its a game not a math quiz!!!!!! ….. [/rant]

Actually this comment about “love to see someone do…” is a bit nuts. I mean the sine of 57.3 would be a bit less than the sine of 60 degress, so about 0.7, divided by the square of 707.4, about 500000. So .7 / 5 / 10^6 = .7 * 2 * 10^-6 = 1.4 * 10^-6. Divided that by 1000^2:
    1.4 * 10^-6 / 10^6 = 1.4 * 10^-12

oops, divided instead of multiplying once! lol

I did warn you that I didn’t check any of it. 😉

@shotzo wrote:

And please, keep personal attacks to a minimum. A debate is different from a fight.

Agreed! 😀

If I somehow crossed, or appeared to cross, that line, I apologize.

cbx

jdog
    Participant

I thought this was about source editing and using it for cheating?

When did it turn in to a math class?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.