This topic contains 1,387 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NoMoreSteve 12 months ago.

• Author

Spectrum
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

Is nice to see you guys are still around….I’ve had a lot going on in the past months. I will try to pop in here more often. I’m a bit rusty at this game;Somebody hand me the WD-40 or slick 50.
    Hey ya ol fart…. is’nt it HammerTime? Grab the Stoli & hit the server 😆

I got a can of WD-40 for you Vik and some chrome polish for you helm 😛

hobbesme
    Participant

Do people actually still play this game and read this board?

Howdy y’all. Can I get a roll call please?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

Still here, but not played for a fair while. The old chicken/egg issue. hardly anyone plays, therefore noone plays 🙁

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Im still present, though hard pressed for time.

Armor

hobbesme
    Participant

PR: That’s kinda a bummer. I miss this game and playing with everyone. I can’t believe it’s been 4+ years since I played regularly (2004-2008). Should I even download the latest build and try it? What’s new in the game?

I did notice that the number of builds has slowed down drastically. When I first started playing in summer 2004, v37 just replaced v36; then v38 came out soon after that with a LOT of new features (and bugs!); then v39, v40, v41, until the last version I still have on my PC, v42.1. But now 4 years later, the build’s only up to v43.x. So I guess even Gavin and any other developer(s) have moved on too?

I reread old posts (2004-2008) last night & remembered some awesome features some of us suggested–like flowing rivers/streams/waterfalls that could be diverted and cause tank damage/flooding/relocation. Anything like that?

Thanks for the roll call, PR. I’m interested to see how many old-timers from 2004-2008 still drop by.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

There are still a few old timers still stop by the forums from time to time.

It’s well worth sticking around, the more chat there is here, the more likely people will arrange some time to play together. The more people play together, the busier the servers, the more likely somone will be online when others check.

New features? Not that many really.

Ability to spec and unspec during a game was a nice addition but otherwise for the default mod, it’s mostly been about balancing which is stilla work in progress as many changes occurred that drove many away.

Bunnys AWE mod is worth checking out, personally I’m not one for the third party mods, however I’ve heard plenty of positive talk about it and can see why.

As for the slowing development cycle, that’s pretty normal really. As the game develops and becomes more stable, the release schedule will naturally flatten as they’re less critical things to sort, also the G man’s life will have changed and continuing the same project gets samey.

Plus, less players == less ideas and less point to develop. (my opinion, don’t consider any of the above to be fact).

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Alot of the late changes are physics and engine tweaks, mostly unseen by the community.

Gavs currently converting the GUI over to rocket so we can redesign how it functions.
    I am pushing for a new particle system, and model reading system as well.

Usually the most active times are when a new release is downloadable.
    Unfortunately we have fallen into a cycle. Fewer players = less development and ideas= fewer releases= fewer players.

I dunno about you guys, but I am here for the long haul until the day I am the last one left visiting the forum. It is a little disheartening of late, but I keep working on improving awe in hopes to attract players.

Stop by sometime, well have a go.

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

That bunny knows far more than me about the development, so take his word over mine 🙂

Acid22
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

@hobbesme wrote:

Still here, but not played for a fair while. The old chicken/egg issue. hardly anyone plays, therefore noone plays 🙁

I never read this board………. or play. 😀

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Its also important to note that Gavin has a family life. 9 years of coding the same game, its probably one of the things he only does on occassion.

Hell I get frustrated with the xml coding.

I have noticed usually when I donate he gets on the ball, unfortunately my funds are low due to university spending. Come christmas I hope to send him some cash again.

Armor

Chopper
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

Here……with a hammer 4 ya

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@acid22 wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

@hobbesme wrote:

I never read this board………. or play. 😀

And yet, we’ve had to sit through, watching you TRY to play wasting our time with your patheticness.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

So…

Technically at the current player volume I could host 12 successive tournaments and pad my profile with fancy medals right? I always wanted to be a general.

I love christmas time for a couple reasons:

1) snow
    2) family
    3) vacation
    4) holiday
    5) birthday
    6) I can devote more time to s3d

As far as development goes, I have just a couple thoughts.

We have the gameplay down, aside from the occassional bug, its addicting and entertaining.

We have fallen into “sameyness” to borrow peanuts word. The community has pushed for change, yet tried to keep it all the same at the same time.

Scorched graphics just arent to par with most console games now. We need to atleast meet or exceed in this area to even have a hope of gathering more players. A wider array of graphics settings would allow the crappiest pc to the powerhouse to play comfortably. I currently use Nvidia’s control center to max out my scorched experience with anti-aliasing ect..

New gameplay effects are needed, hence my suggestion of new particle engine, and model reading system. Essentially both will allow alot of room for new events and shiny bits.
    I keep modeling all of these vehicles in hopes I can someday add things like jet afterburner and anti-air missiles.

Something needs to be done when you die, it bores people to just sit and wait, and I feel that is one of the bigger issues, the gameplay is slow. Maybe we could have players fly boids manually or something to kill time, maybe even give them weapons that dont do anything, like our current floating ships. If they fall into the landscape they crash and respawn. It would add a non invasive fps experience, or even become a new game mode where endless enemy tank waves spawn and you have to pilot a plane to wipe them out. You only get 3 lives, see how long you can last.

The current gui is outdated, and we are working to fix this. It will be quite exciting to see what rocket allows.

I realize gavins just one man, and very busy at that, but when he gets motivated he is brilliant. He just needs a cause, and support for it.

Perhaps we could find another developer (with gavs consent) to help out? I would if I had the smarts to code c++. Hell I would be developing this game constantly if I could. I have a couple friends studying computer science, I will see if they are versed in c++. We need someone to carry on the mantle when gav is unavailable. He wont live forever you know, and I really hope I can teach my kids this game someday. If I have them..

Ping is a huge issue for me, I wonder if we could procure a North American based server? It would surely help out Canadians, South Americans, and North Americans, and according to Palin Russians. I don’t know how much it costs, so this idea could be ludicrous.

I dont want to see this game die, rather updated and ready for more scorching.

Armor

Chopper
    Participant

I’d kinda like the option of putting a hammer under da Nut.
    watch how many pieces he’d make. :badgrin:

seriously though, I know you like it wham,bam fast but its a great game and older versions brought alot of players. It just seemed it was life that took players away not any problems with the game.

Sure a few personalities po’ed some folks but thats just life. At school,work,shopping and yes even forum boards and video games.

All in all it was just a very few around here. Anyway, I’m trying to play but my damn retina tear last year has caused some “bumps” inside my eye and Im still having trouble, but im trying.

So next time you see me,join in, I’m a very easy kill now. 8-[

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

I’d kinda like the option of putting a hammer under da Nut.
    watch how many pieces he’d make. :badgrin:

seriously though, I know you like it wham,bam fast but its a great game and older versions brought alot of players. It just seemed it was life that took players away not any problems with the game.

Sure a few personalities po’ed some folks but thats just life. At school,work,shopping and yes even forum boards and video games.

All in all it was just a very few around here. Anyway, I’m trying to play but my damn retina tear last year has caused some “bumps” inside my eye and Im still having trouble, but im trying.

So next time you see me,join in, I’m a very easy kill now. 8-[

Try, ya old bastage!

I agree, there’s nothing ‘wrong’ with the ‘game’. Sure, better graphics always help and the settings still need to be tweaked, but it’s the lack of players that’s causing the lack of players.

Sorry to hear about the eye there Chop. Not that you’re suffering, but that I’ve not been about to make fun of your suffering and take enjoyment from it! 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 1,389 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.