This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

warnow
    Participant

its a torrent client verry usefull you can download almost anything

and the file below it is for quake

Attachments deleted by cbx550f – see last post

cbx550f
    Participant

War, when you posted this before, I just deleted it thinking it was a spam post…. what are these? You said one is a torrent client; is it legal to distribute? The other is something for Quake, but what?

I’ll DL it and look, but until we know more, I might recommend to others that they don’t. 😉

cbx

warnow
    Participant

its perfectly legal its like p2p clients but much more safe
    theres no way its ilegal cuz the goverment would shut down all the sites that host them same thing with PSONE emulaters there not ilegal but the exeption on ps emulaters is this the prog is not ilegal but haveing the BIOS for the ps without owning a ps IS ilegal unlike that thes arnt ilegal

warnow
    Participant

its a bit advanced use the magnifing glass on the end of the toolbar to serch for things there is a better one called bitlord so dl that one if you want faster dl times

apache64d
    Participant

emmm I don’t think this forums is for torrents and quake….

BOY
    Participant

whenever you have the possiblity to download “almost anything” you’re beyond what we do here at this site. I’d recommend the downloads be removed… for now, I took out the poll. It was a bit pointless.

Willis
    Participant

Agreed there is no reason for torrents and said stuff here.

Oh and to clearify, most torrents out there are in fact illegal.

Torrenting itself, genericly speaking, is not as it’s just a form of file sharing.

However often you find people and websites sharing copyrighted software, music, or movies. Which is illegal use of torrenting.

Anyway, we don’t need that stuff here so please not again.
    Thank you.

cbx550f
    Participant

Warnow – I had to delete the attachements. It’s a bit non-Scorched3d related. 😉

Cheers

cbx

Deathstryker
    Participant

It MAY be legit. It might take some time to figure it out or not though. Some websites use URI links (like magnet and ed2k) for their files when they can’t pay for web servers.

All the same, you guys are right. It doesn’t belong in this forum anyway. 😉

altarzor
    Participant

It’s unrelated concerning “you can download anything”.

The only thing that would make sense here is “you can download Scorched 3D through bittorrent”.

a banana
    Participant

Well, Torrents are a good way of distributing legitimate software and media. It would be quite feasible to distribute both Scorched3D and the various mods via that method. Whether it would be worth it, or not, is a different issue as it’s not like Scorched3D is terribly huge — might help those who are on dialup, though.

BitTorrent can also be used to distribute illegitimate software and (I guess their main use) copyrighted media files. The fact that there are sites posting links to Torrents doesn’t automatically make them legal (even if the government hasn’t shut them down, Warnow). However, it might depend on exactly what country you’re in, and what government you’re talking about, I guess.

As for BitTorrent clients, there are a bunch of them for most platforms. I’ve used them a fair bit in the past for downloading iso’s for Linux distros — the system has the ability to resume where it left off, even if your connection dropped or you’d stopped it for a few days (hence why it might particularly help dialup users).

HTH

Thrax
    Participant

@a banana wrote:

Well, Torrents are a good way of distributing legitimate
    software and media. It would be quite feasible to distribute both
    Scorched3D and the various mods via that method. Whether it would be
    worth it, or not, is a different issue as it’s not like Scorched3D is terribly
    huge — might help those who are on dialup, though.

HTH

Maybe “Authentic” releases of the scorched3d core, since they only
    change when gavin says so. But putting mods to torrent would be
    inconsistant, as most of us are continually adding to or improving our
    mods weekly and somethimes daily. Any torrent stream would only
    continue to perpetuate an out-dated or corrupt mod.

On the other hand, if the usual torrent fiends were to run across
    scorched3d on thier wanderings, they’re sure to grab it thinking it’s
    another of the uber-games being spread.. 😀 More players!

Deathstryker
    Participant

Why on earth did someone revive this 6 month old topic?

There’s not much else to talk about, really.

Deathbal
    Participant

And to think I thought this post was about ‘chutes 😆 Aah well, I guess i’ll keep buying diggers. 😀

altarzor
    Participant

When I for example use the torrent “planeshift”(partly open source licensed) I can see if there is interest in the application, for example the tracker gives me the info that 39000 peers had the whole file at a certain point in time (though recent) and that 18000 people wanted the file at a certain point in time(though recent).
    The planeshift file is about 200megabytes, so it’s 5 times greater than scorched3d, and maybe it makes more sense, since 5 times bigger will have a great impact on their bandwidth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.