This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  singmely 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

Someone is selling Scorched on ecrater. Might want to see about it getting taken down.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8236861/scorched-3d-pc-game

naka
    Participant

The licence of S3D is GPL (GNU General Public License). That means it is legal to redistribute or sell it, as long as the source code is included.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

High or low fees, and the GNU GPL

Except for one special situation, the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) has no requirements about how much you can charge for distributing a copy of free software. You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It’s up to you, and the marketplace, so don’t complain to us if nobody wants to pay a billion dollars for a copy.
    The one exception is in the case where binaries are distributed without the corresponding complete source code. Those who do this are required by the GNU GPL to provide source code on subsequent request. Without a limit on the fee for the source code, they would be able set a fee too large for anyone to pay—such as a billion dollars—and thus pretend to release source code while in truth concealing it. So in this case we have to limit the fee for source in order to ensure the user’s freedom. In ordinary situations, however, there is no such justification for limiting distribution fees, so we do not limit them.

So it is NOT OK if these guys only sell binaries of the S3D without providing the source code.

bazzz
    Participant

I sent them a message asking what their policy is, i am not sure what the GPL allows and prohibits.

Its at least a dubious seller, there are many free downloadable games in his list.

Edit: If naka’s quote is correct i suppose it would be allowed to sell it for any price. Reading the whole thing it does make sense, its up to the buyer to find out if he can get it cheaper somewhere else. It also doesnt hurt us since it is distributed wider, wich is something we should want.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

As far as I am aware (which may be wrong) you are allowed to sell it to cover any distribution costs that may occur. However I don’t think you are allowed to sell it for a profit. And as said you must include a link to where they can download the source code.

bazzz
    Participant

I have this reply from eCrater.

Hello Barry,

Thank you for your email and the information. It is not allowed.

Sincerely,
    Tracy
    The eCRATER Team

The ad seems to be removed, Probably along with the rest of the games on there since i didnt specify scorched3d. This seems to be solved unless the seller will object to the removal because of the reasons discussed before.

Good catch btw Deathstryker, how did you find out? Just luck or do you have a google alert for scorched3d or something similar?

singmely
    Participant

😯 the pc games? is it good?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.