This topic contains 54 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

Bobirov
    Participant

I went to do a build to check out the new placement features but it failed. It looks like LandscapePoints.h got left out. Here is the build log.

Checked CVS again at about 10:30 CT and I got the LandscapePoints files so maybe my timing was just bad and they hadn’t been posted yet..

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I went to do a build to check out the new placement features but it failed. It looks like LandscapePoints.h got left out. Here is the build log.

bleeeeP ! does’nt compute in my neandrathol brain

too rocket scientistY

brain meltdown in….3…2…1

~> SplAt < ~ =P heh, wish I could help in some way other then just modeling
    but this is both of your talents & ill stick to mine & observe
    from the background in this matter wishing you all best of
    headache free coding.

Bobirov
    Participant

Well it never fails really, the more you play the more likely you are to notice some things that seem wrong. And, the only way to get these things fixed is to report em so here I go.

A while back I was playing a CVS build with a friend and I stumbled on to what I think is a problem with the new mag shield behaviour. My opponent was using a new mag shield and I got not one but two direct hits on it with napalm. The problem was that when I did this, both shots completely fizzled. No napalm pooled around the target at all but it was almost like the game was still waiting for the napalm to finish anyways, even though I could see nothing happening and wasn’t doing any damage. I am not sure if this applies to anything other than napalm, but I think it should be looked into. A direct hit on the new mag shields should cause the weapon to go off, not dud completely.

Another small bug I think I have noticed is related to the new ability to make armslevel progressive. It seems that somehow both the start value and end value are not saved into the xml. Instead, one value is saved as both the starting value and the ending value. Because of this, currently the only way to get a server.xml file with a progressive armslevel is to manually edit the xml file. This isn’t a major issue or anything but I still think it should be addressed.

Another thing I have been noticing for a while is that, for some reason, the bouys along the landscape border always seem to be yellow now. Even when the wall type is solid or bounce, the bouys are still yellow. Because of this, the only way you can figure out the actual wall type is to fire a test round into the wall and see what happens. I am not sure if this was occuring before you added the second set of bouys at ground level or not. This happens on both my desktop (9700 Pro) and my graphically challenged laptop that has a ¿Radeon IGP 345M? so it could just be ATI related, but maybe not.

Another graphics related problem I have noticed for quite some time now over many builds is this odd seam that appears when you move the camera above the level of the clouds. Because of depth sorting I guess the seam winds up blocking the water causing the issue to be quite visible. Again this happens on both my desktop and laptop, both of which have ATI cards so it could be just ATI related. I have tried enabling Single Sky Layer, No Animate Sky and VBO but none of these have any effect on whether or not the seam appears. Here is a little pic of the issue as seen on the 9700 Pro.

And last but not least, is a mod related problem. I was thinking about making a little custom pic for the loading screen and when I went to try one out in Apocalypse I noticed something. For some reason, the game does not check the /mods/modname/data/windows/ directory for any custom window changes. I tryed using the BR Mod custom window setup in a mod directory just to be sure and sure enough, none of the changes can be seen without overwriting the original files that are within the game directory itself (not the mod directory). I think that this directory should be checked by the new mod system because it is definately very modable content.

Well thats all for now. Sorry about this habit I have of dishing out a novel every now and then but I like to pool information before I post it… 😛

System Specs

Winows XP Professional SP 1
    p4 1.3 GHz
    640 MB pc800 RDRAM
    Powercolor 128 MB Radeon 9700 Pro (Catalyst 4.10 Driver)
    SB Live! Value Series

imported_gcamp
    Participant

A while back I was playing a CVS build with a friend and I stumbled on to what I think is a problem with the new mag shield behaviour.

I’ve not seen this yet. I’ll try it out. Shouldn’t the napalm rocket bounce off the shield?

Another small bug I think I have noticed is related to the new ability to make armslevel progressive.

Thanks, fixed.

Another thing I have been noticing for a while is that, for some reason, the bouys along the landscape border always seem to be yellow now.

Yeah I noticed this too, it happened after I added the bouys on the sea floor. Now fixed.

Another graphics related problem I have noticed for quite some time now over many builds is this odd seam that appears when you move the camera above the level of the clouds.

Poo. Not seen this on my cards. I’ll check my radeon. Does it happen now with VBO off?

And last but not least, is a mod related problem. I was thinking about making a little custom pic for the loading screen and when I went to try one out in Apocalypse I noticed something.

Ok, i’ve fixed this for the loading screen. I don’t think it will work for the other windows yet though. It happens because you see the windows before you connect to the server, so it doesn’t know the mod to load yet. I guess they should reload after the connect and the mod is known.

Thanks again
    Gav.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

A while back I was playing a CVS build with a friend and I stumbled on to what I think is a problem with the new mag shield behaviour.

I’ve not seen this yet. I’ll try it out. Shouldn’t the napalm rocket bounce off the shield?

Okay well I’ve done some testing here and I definately think there is something wrong here. At first I tried just shooting myself with napalm with a mag deflect enabled and didn’t see anything happening. However, I then started a game with 2 human players and started shooting at the other player and sure enough if you direct hit with any weapon on a mag deflect things get screwy. The weapon (I only tried napalm and nukes) completely disappears for a few seconds, before finally exploding somewhere. So what might be happening is the projectile is indeed bouncing off the shield but the projectile model itself stops being drawn after making contact with the shield. For some reason I was thinking that the new mag shield was supposed to just repel nearby projectiles causing their paths to be altered. But I guess I was wrong and the shield just has a new look and control over how hard the bounce is.

@gcamp wrote:

Another graphics related problem I have noticed for quite some time now over many builds is this odd seam that appears when you move the camera above the level of the clouds.

Poo. Not seen this on my cards. I’ll check my radeon. Does it happen now with VBO off?

I checked a build from this afternoon and turning VBO on or off does not affect whether or not the seam is visible.

@gcamp wrote:

Ok, i’ve fixed this for the loading screen.

This was my main concern, as I wanted to distinguish Apoc from the regular loading screen to make it obvious to people what they are playing.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Okay well I’ve done some testing here and I definately think there is something wrong here. At first I tried just shooting myself with napalm with a mag deflect enabled and didn’t see anything happening. However, I then started a game with 2 human players and started shooting at the other player and sure enough if you direct hit with any weapon on a mag deflect things get screwy. The weapon (I only tried napalm and nukes) completely disappears for a few seconds, before finally exploding somewhere. So what might be happening is the projectile is indeed bouncing off the shield but the projectile model itself stops being drawn after making contact with the shield. For some reason I was thinking that the new mag shield was supposed to just repel nearby projectiles causing their paths to be altered. But I guess I was wrong and the shield just has a new look and control over how hard the bounce is.

Ah ha, found it. A really nasty case of over optimization causing sheild collisions to not work on the client. Difficult to spot as it still works on the server so it mostly keeps the client right.
    Try the mag shield now, its should be quite a nice effect.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Ah ha, found it. A really nasty case of over optimization causing sheild collisions to not work on the client. Difficult to spot as it still works on the server so it mostly keeps the client right.
    Try the mag shield now, its should be quite a nice effect.

Okay well I am not sure if you’ve added these changes to CVS yet but the build I did this afternoon is still having the problem. The build includes all the new control to the WeaponLightning primitive so I was assuming the fix was implemented as well. I’ll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to do another build so I guess I’ll find out then.

There is also another problem that ShoCkwaVe mentioned to me a while back but I had never seen it at the time. But now not only have I seen it for myself, it appears to be happening a lot. Every so often when using a weapon that contains none you’ll get the following error.

The odd thing is that the problem seems intermittent and doesn’t happen all the time. I can fire a fork lightning (which contains several “none” sound attributes) 2 or 3 times in a row with no problem. But then, every so often, it will throw this error and halt the game.

If you can’t find anything that looks like it would cause this error, it might be a bit easier to pin down if the error would point to the weapon or line number where the error occured. After all it could just be a mistake in my xml thats causing it but I just can’t find it. That certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done that.. 😛

Also related to this issue, is that if you use “none” for the sound in the WeaponAnimation primitive, it throws an error 100% of the time now. I don’t recall that happening before. Here’s a pic of that error:

Of course there is also the possibility that the client could be made more leniant when it comes to missing sounds. Instead of completely halting the client, maybe it could just display the error but allow the client to continue functioning? I don’t know, its not my decision, just my opinion.

Ah well, I leave it to you to hopefully find a solution here as I am stumped as to why it is happening. I suppose one of these days I should take the plunge and make a legitimate attempt at understanding the game’s actual source code. 😳

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I’ll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to do another build so I guess I’ll find out then.

Hopefully CVS was just taking its time to update.

There is also another problem that ShoCkwaVe mentioned to me a while back but I had never seen it at the time. But now not only have I seen it for myself, it appears to be happening a lot. Every so often when using a weapon that contains none you’ll get the following error.

That is really strange. Are you sure there are no spaces after the none. i.e. none in the xml tags?

The odd thing is that the problem seems intermittent and doesn’t happen all the time.

Yes this is really strange.

Also related to this issue, is that if you use “none” for the sound in the WeaponAnimation primitive, it throws an error 100% of the time now. I don’t recall that happening before. Here’s a pic of that error:

This didn’t support the none options, but I have added it now.

Of course there is also the possibility that the client could be made more leniant when it comes to missing sounds. Instead of completely halting the client, maybe it could just display the error but allow the client to continue functioning? I don’t know, its not my decision, just my opinion.

I’ll leave it in for the moment while debugging, but I can remove it later.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Hopefully CVS was just taking its time to update.

Guess so, mag deflect is now working properly in my build from this afternoon.

@gcamp wrote:

That is really strange. Are you sure there are no spaces after the none. i.e. none in the xml tags?

Ok I went through my xml and did a search for “none” and I saw no instances that had any spaces or looked wrong otherwise. I could have accidentally overlooked something of course but I am now pretty confident its not an xml problem. The new error format seems to back this up as it doesn’t show an extra space between the quotation marks.

@gcamp wrote:

The odd thing is that the problem seems intermittent and doesn’t happen all the time.

Yes this is really strange.

I’ll say, its hard to pinpoint a problem that doesn’t happen consistently. It is still occuring and is still intermittent in my build from this afternoon.

Bobirov
    Participant

Ok I found out that the problem lies with the new attribute that replaced in WeaponNapalm. So I guess does not yet support having “none” for a sound. In the meantime I just commented that section out because it was only cosmetic.

I had exactly one instance where this was the case and the weapon happened to be enabled for death animations. So the reason it was intermittent was that it was only going off every now and then while testing other weapons. I probably should have noticed it sooner but I’m a bit slow.. 😳

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Ok I found out that the problem lies with the new attribute that replaced in WeaponNapalm. So I guess does not yet support having “none” for a sound. In the meantime I just commented that section out because it was only cosmetic.

Ok, I have added the “none” option for the napalm sound.

I had exactly one instance where this was the case and the weapon happened to be enabled for death animations. So the reason it was intermittent was that it was only going off every now and then while testing other weapons. I probably should have noticed it sooner but I’m a bit slow.. 😳

Ah cool, I was a bit worried as I could not find the reason 🙂

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

Is it possible to load the current users tank in as a projectile?

example of what I am getting at:

Lets say a player uses a suicidal bomb the first explosion goes off
    then ofcourse.. the players tank
    then disapears and the texture explosion loads this all happens
    in a matter of seconds.

but, after that initial explosion occurs then you see the secondary
    weapon launch the users tank into the air “as a weapon illusion trick”
    instead of using a weapons projectile model… using the current players
    tank to load in

Then it would appear as though when the explosion went off
    his tank did a flying leap into the air then exploded when his tank hit.

that I think would add a very nice funny factor especially if his tank
    landed on someone else and then killed them as well.

secondly..

I have noticed alot of players have been asking for a Torpedo type weapons lately

a description of what they mean:

a projectile that when hits the water stays at water level 0
    and swims towards a direction until it runs into the landscape.

that got me thinking .. if you have controll over movement of a tank
    on land when the player uses fuel & the wall markers bob in the water
    with the wave movement also, ..should’nt it be possible to create a new model
    pirimitive code that could allow “only weapons” or certain types of tanks
    with an example code or or

thisway we could either have ship type tanks,subs or
    weapons that could both float & move

then we could have depth charges and Torpedos and maybe some accessories
    like a inflatable life preserver that has a motor on it. =)

also bob, that acidfire explosion texture problem i was having
    before when some weapons went off it loaded that texture
    for some reason

and I found the problem i accidentally placed a non existing
    reference to the texture in the texturset.xml
    like this acidfire00-7 and there was no 00-7 heh oOps
    I think it was just acidfire00_1 – 004 **shrug**
    Im such a neWb =P

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

ok I have a bug to report..

I just updated the new cvs and everything works fine rain/ lightning
    but I did find one error anytime I use any roller type weapons
    I get this error below as soon as you choose a roller weapon and all the players hit the space bar after making their shot the entire game
    stalls you can still wonder arround so its not a freeze

..its more of a endless stall and nothing happens .. the entire game waits forever

I waited 5 mins to see the next thing it would do and nothing

the and

Bobirov
    Participant

Yup, I have seen this happening too. It happens when the client takes too long on a shot and goes over the Shot Idle Time. When this happens the client trys to kick you but it can’t because you are local. After that the client is essentially broken and refuses to function without restarting it. I haven’t noticed if it is specifically related to rollers or not though, not sure about that. I also haven’t seen this happen yet with my build from yesterday, but that doesn’t mean the problem has been fixed, I could just have gotten lucky.

Should the shot idle time really even apply to single player games? I mean if the client can not kick players in a single player game, should it even try? Maybe instead of trying to kick you in a single player game when you are taking too long, the client could just force itself to be ready and allow the game to carry on. Of course this wouldn’t solve the broader issue of why the client is still, after many measures taken against it, timing out for unknown reasons..

Just thought I would mention that I have seen this too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.