This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

I was thinking just now about how it would be mildly useful if Scorched had it’s own custom URI scheme.

This would allow us to click on a server listed here in the forums or in the servers section of the site and instantly boot up Scorched and head to that server when say the server list is down or we happen to visit the forums and want to instantly join (after the link was modified with the URI scheme of course).

It could be something like:

scorched:server=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX&port=27270&password=XXXX

(That’s just an idea, btw. I dunno if a URI exactly like that could work or not.)

Of course the password part is optional… or maybe not implemented at all as it might cause some security concerns/be pointless to make a password public.

Brain Damage
    Participant

i think a more standardized format would be:

scorched://user:pass@serveraddress:port

EDIT: as you can see with this format the forum code itself reckognise it as a link and the pc will try to opetn with it’s default program (if associated)

Deathstryker
    Participant

I DID say it was just an idea. Not a serious URI string.

You wouldn’t want to include user though since it’s different for everyone, lol.

Brain Damage
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

I DID say it was just an idea. Not a serious URI string.

i know, sorry if i sounded harsh, was just trying to provide the infos for a more common format.

about user & password: i think that the game should accept them anyway as parameteres; they will not used necessary, but having the possibility to use them won’t hurt, you might never know what they could be useful for.
    About security thing i don’t think it will be a big deal, if someone is enought silly to post a password in a public url he’s probably enought silly to post it anyway directly as text without the url format…

Deathstryker
    Participant

The one thing I don’t really like about the username being included is that someone may be a smartass when posting their server and include something offensive or silly for the username.

I dunno about you but I never use that username space anyway.

I don’t guess it’s THAT big of a deal either way. Especially as you said, they wouldn’t be necessary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.