This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  FREAK 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Unfortunately while I was away on holiday our web host withdrew this website (scorched3d.co.uk).

I recieved this email when I returned on Monday:-
    @UK2 wrote:

Congratulations! Your website is so popular that we have had to withdraw this temporarily from our shared hosting service, the reason for this being that it is using most of the resources on that particular webserver and now needs its own dedicated server.
    …….

According to their web logs last month we recived 4,786,000 hits!

The website is running again, but I am in the process of migrating to a new dedicated server, during this time the disruption should be kept to a minimum.

Note: Game stats are stored on a seperate server and have still been collected during this period.

BOY
    Participant

That is cause for congratulations. But suddenly terminating the site is not a very good way of going about it. What ever happened to giving a little notice! 👿 Very bad timing though. Hope your holiday was a blast. 🙂

SPYRER
    Participant

Look on the good side, this mean that more people are checking out scorched and it’s community. Have you looked at the download stats from Source Forge or Download.com? 😀

We here are more popular then so many other’s, 😀 😀

to quote Your website is so popular

BOY
    Participant

did i just go off and complain and forget to say something about almost 5 million hits! Wow! Now that we regulars are ‘unbanned’ the number will go even higher! 😛

jdog
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Unfortunately while I was away on holiday our web host withdrew this website (scorched3d.co.uk).

I recieved this email when I returned on Monday:-
    @UK2 wrote:

Congratulations! Your website is so popular that we have had to withdraw this temporarily from our shared hosting service, the reason for this being that it is using most of the resources on that particular webserver and now needs its own dedicated server.
    …….

According to their web logs last month we recived 4,786,000 hits!

The website is running again, but I am in the process of migrating to a new dedicated server, during this time the disruption should be kept to a minimum.

Note: Game stats are stored on a seperate server and have still been collected during this period.

Wow, thats a lot of hits. I’m suprised you have been contacted by some corperation wanting to sponsor the creation of the game if you put there logo in there.

Picci
    Participant

(for people who want to see other responses to the same topic)

it told me only moderators could create topics in the news section so i had written the same thing another place:

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4115

btw, it’s not very serious on their part to just suspend the service like that, gm gavin, move to another server, btw, 5,000K hits ? wow, grats ! that’s about 160K hits/day !!!

bye

Picci

PS suggestion: some admin or moderator could merge the other topic with this one so that they both will be in the news section

Willis
    Participant

Let me try and put this into prospective… for fun 🙂

Correct me if I’m wrong.. but every request for a page, an image, download, or anything at all, would generate a hit.

To make a post would be like 3 hits. One to display the post-message screen. Another to show the “your post has submitted please wait” screen. Finally a third to redirect to the original topic.

4,786,000 hits total..

28 days (it was February mind you…) makes around… 171,000 hits a day.

Assuming the average person makes around 100 hits a day. And assuming the same people visited each day. (These are bloated figures)

Thats looking around 1710 people.

BOY
    Participant

that’s pretty rough estimating.. how can we know how many hits people hit, and what a hit is? I guess you’re right, 5 million hits a month is more likely to be only a few thousand people.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Why do these things always happen while Gavin is gone?

Irishbandit
    Participant

Its the law of computers… At least thats how it is for me Every-thing running great i step out of the building it all goes down hill.

Willis
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

Its the law of computers… At least thats how it is for me Every-thing running great i step out of the building it all goes down hill.

I’m the opposite. Everything runs smoothly then I step in the building. 😆

Picci
    Participant

hey 😛
    irishbandit & willis,
    u just reminded me of what happened to me a couple weeks ago, when i was about to leave the house with the pc on, downloading some stuff, and as soon as i stepped out my dad rushed out and told me: “your pc just shut down cause a short circuit happened inside the power supply and the electricity in the whole house went down…” i didn’t believe him and went out with my friends, and when i came back my mom had decided smartly to use the pc (laptop) taking the battery down as well, so i had a dead laptop that wouldn’t turn on and all my school stuff on it 🙁 (when i tried to tell the teachers it didn’t work well either 😕 )… result: i cut the wires off the power supply, and connected it to the 14V 1A modem power adapter… (it wasn’t nearly as good as the 15V 8A original one) but it did the job: after 2 days and 2 nights the battery reached 100% and i managed to get all the data off 😀

well, other than that… how are things going guys… are you all in different geographical locations or is somebody actually near gavin ?…
    maybe we could do something to host local sites, as scorched3d.it or scorched3d.de etc…
    local admins could administer them…
    so that the local ones could work even if the main one goes down…
    (yes, yes, i know that would cost money, that’s why it’s just an idea. 😀

bye
    Picci

FREAK
    Participant

Lol interesting story Picci.

BTW ppl.

I have posted post number 1000 for the news section!

YAY!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.