This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jeronimo 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Jeronimo
    Participant

This topic is more informative than anything else (since I notice someone barely replies a topic nowadays).
    So basically I’m writing the Server Rules for temporal FFA’s on Friday/Saturday (depending when I connect to play).

I decided to do this after realizing that Scorched3D Main server is set on “0 Rounds (Infinite) + EconomyFreeMarket” which caused a super deformation of prices (result of playing lots of MCB’s continuously without reseting server).

For now, these are the Rules from my FFA server (first settings are similar to Main server):

Environment: All Maps, WindRandom (ChangeNever), WallRandom
    Nº of Rounds= 10 (Nº of Turns x Round= 10)
    Buying Time= 90 / Shot Time= 50 / Simultaneous

Score: Changed this to give “late joiners” and “poor players” chances to keep up vs Leader.
    +10 ScoreWonForRound (in original settings was +250… now late joiners can get into competition for real)
    +10 ScorePerAssist (if you only have weak weapons and still hit someone, you get a decent score bonus)
    +20 ScorePerKill (killing someone is both significant for money earning and scoring)

Money: EconomyNone to have steady prices, good for calculations and allright for the usual Sets of 10 Rounds.

*MoneyBuyOnRound: 1
    *MoneyStarting: 30000
    *MoneyInterest: 25%
    *MoneyPerRound: 15000 (participating)

*MoneyWonPerHitPoint: 300
    *MoneyWonPerAssistPoint: 600
    *MoneyWonPerKillPoint: 1200
    *MoneyWonPerMultiKillPoint: 1200
    *MoneyWonForRound: 6000 (surviving)

Interest 25% is ideal to give you back in next Round exactly the 100% of a sold item unit.
    Example Batteries ($5000/10): Each battery sold gives $400, but becomes $500 in next Round.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Good luck with the server dude. Don’t take it personally if it gets ignored. 3rd party ‘none’ servers don’t tend to get players in there.

About your settings. Personally, I don’t like buying in round 1, especially with only 20k and even more so with 25% interest.

I’d be saving my money in the first round. Noone can afford anything but chutes, batts and missiles, which will leave them skint for the rest of the game if they don’t get a kill.

Also, the default prices are complete garbage IMO. Some things are too cheap, others too pricey.

Good luck anyway.

Jeronimo
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I’d be saving my money in the first round. Noone can afford anything but chutes, batts and missiles, which will leave them skint for the rest of the game if they don’t get a kill.

Also, the default prices are complete garbage IMO. Some things are too cheap, others too pricey.

Well, that’s my point about Round 1. You can choose to save up your money or use it… that’s where personal strategy begins. I don’t think that a Round of only baby missiles (not batteries) is good for anyone. Good Fun shouldn’t start in Round 2.

25% Interest is because you may buy a set of weapons and sell all the extra units you aren’t going to use that specific Round… then you receive your 100% money back for each sold unit.
    It’s more a mathematical reason: You buy 8000/2 Rollers, sell 1 (get 3200), but in next turn those 3200 become 4000… you get back the real 1 Roller price -> 4000 (I think this way is fine).

About Default Prices: I think that current prices are gargabe in Main server (if you wanna play a good FFA). Just compare the Teleport vs Teleport Position, Roller vs Heavy Roller, or MIRV’s.
    I recon some items are a bit cheap/pricey, but overall they are acceptable (the margin of error is minimal compared to Main server).

Money settings would need revision since I don’t know how will earnings impact in the long run of 10 Rounds.
    Theorically in FFA, it’s advisable to kill as soon as possible the leader so doesn’t gain much advantage.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@jeronimo wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Well, that’s my point about Round 1. You can choose to save up your money or use it… that’s where personal strategy begins. I don’t think that a Round of only baby missiles (not batteries) is good for anyone. Good Fun shouldn’t start in Round 2.

25% Interest is because you may buy a set of weapons and sell all the extra units you aren’t going to use that specific Round… then you receive your 100% money back for each sold unit.
    It’s more a mathematical reason: You buy 8000/2 Rollers, sell 1 (get 3200), but in next turn those 3200 become 4000… you get back the real 1 Roller price -> 4000 (I think this way is fine).

About Default Prices: I think that current prices are gargabe in Main server (if you wanna play a good FFA). Just compare the Teleport vs Teleport Position, Roller vs Heavy Roller, or MIRV’s.
    I recon some items are a bit cheap/pricey, but overall they are acceptable (the margin of error is minimal compared to Main server).

Money settings would need revision since I don’t know how will earnings impact in the long run of 10 Rounds.
    Theorically in FFA, it’s advisable to kill as soon as possible the leader so doesn’t gain much advantage.

I already read your explanation for the 25% in your OP. It used to be 30% on main. Higher interest suits me, I’m a cash cow.

What’s wrong with bbm only? I quite enjoy bbm only games.

Rollers should be really cheap, cos they’re useless, Heavies are the only rollers worth buying.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@jeronimo wrote:

This topic is more informative than anything else (since I notice someone barely replies a topic nowadays).
    So basically I’m writing the Server Rules for temporal FFA’s on Friday/Saturday (depending when I connect to play).

I decided to do this after realizing that Scorched3D Main server is set on “0 Rounds (Infinite) + EconomyFreeMarket” which caused a super deformation of prices (result of playing lots of MCB’s continuously without reseting server).

For now, these are the Rules from my FFA server (first settings are equal to Main server):

Environment: All Maps, WindRandom (ChangeNever), WallRandom
    Nº of Rounds= 10 (Nº of Turns x Round= 15)
    Buying Time= 90 / Shot Time= 50 / Simultaneous

Score: Changed this to give “late joiners” and “poor players” chances to keep up vs Leader.
    +10 ScoreWonForRound (in original settings was +250… now late joiners can get into competition with a slightly difference from others)
    +10 ScorePerAssist (if you are economically poor, and still damage someone with weak weapon, you get a decent score bonus)
    +20 ScorePerKill (killing someone is both significant for money earning and scoring)

Money: EconomyNone to have steady prices, good for calculations and allright for the usual Sets of 10 Rounds.

*MoneyBuyOnRound: 1
    *MoneyStarting: 20000
    *MoneyInterest: 25%
    *MoneyPerRound: 5000 (participating)

*MoneyWonPerHitPoint: 250
    *MoneyWonPerAssistPoint: 500
    *MoneyWonPerKillPoint: 1000
    *MoneyWonPerMultiKillPoint: 1000
    *MoneyWonForRound: 5000 (surviving)

Interest 25% is ideal to give you back in next turn exactly the 100% of a sold item unit, e.g. batteries ($5000/10) sold give you $400, so if you wait 1 turn it will become $500 (as if you had exactly sold 1 battery).

If you like I can work with you on creating a separate test mod to address the issues with weapons that preform less than acceptable in certain situations. I’m glad someone is willing to explore the options available.

Balance is really a matter of personal taste. I think several things in main have gotten out of sync from their original intention. Rollers were designed to destroy players stuck in holes or with bouncy shields on, not the hardened shields as they currently do. Rollers are very weak compared to their heavier counterparts, and babies are all but useless. Hot napalm is very effective against anything not saturated in water.

I had been working on these issues until it became clear to me it is a huge undertaking, and I am already running the AWE mod. What I suggest is creating a reloaded version of the none mod, and balance it. If you work completely on mathematical balance, it shouldn’t be hard. I was working on an entire graphic overhaul + balance + pricing. If you narrow your focus to pricing and balance, I can help you on the other segments when the time comes.

I have assembled a small test mod for you to play around in, all you need to worry about is the accessories.xml file for now. If you have questions just pm me or create a forum thread in mods modeling and development. I am here quite often and will help you out as much as you need. The mod folder is attached to this post, simply drop it in your .scorched3d folder. If you need help finding it just ask.

I will certainly join your server if you are around, just hit me up in chat.

Cheers,

Armor

Jeronimo
    Participant

Thanks Armor for the attention. I took a look at accessories.xml.
    It’s true that would need a lot to be reworked (if I’d go 100% serious with balance)… but I know this work would be more a personal satisfaction than anything else considering the small playerbase nowadays.

I have done some Mods for other games, but these communities are almost dead or going to less games every month it passes. And worse is the Mod competition where there is a popular Mod and yours get ignored (even if it’s clearly better than the popular one).

Have already lived those experiences in past years, so I decided not to Dejavú anymore, and in this case let AWE be the alternative to MainServer. No need to waste lifetime for me in another ignored “son”. 😀

Today we played 5 FFA session, and conclusion is to give more money overall, and not allowing to move on water.
    I will also reduce amount of Turns x Round from 15 to 10, so technical “Draw” is more possible.

Next time we try this FFA will be more exciting.
    [EDITED first post to update values list]

*MoneyStarting: 30000 (+10000)
    *MoneyPerRound: 15000 (+10000)

*MoneyWonPerHitPoint: 300 (+50)
    *MoneyWonPerAssistPoint: 600 (+100)
    *MoneyWonPerKillPoint: 1200 (+200)
    *MoneyWonPerMultiKillPoint: 1200 (+200)
    *MoneyWonForRound: 6000 (+1000)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.