This topic contains 42 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Ebonite
    Participant

server reset on Scorched 3D Teams (Player Stats, No Bots) at 2:00 PM GMT. all players kicked, could rejoin right away. rollers, diggers, and sandhogs were used in final shot. stupid me downloaded the patched version, but I haven’t installed it yet. 😳

Bobirov
    Participant

😯
    Gavin,
    When I first read your previous post my eyes nearly teared up hehe. I’d dub this realease the “quiet down that noisy Bob guy” version lol. I swear I am going to boycott the rest of the gaming companies because they are so much less responsive and attentive to their users.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be quieting down just yet 😛 I quickly installed this test version but I’ve encountered a problem with the new Land Option layout. For some reason all of the land types are placed on top of one another in the upper left of the window. The only map that is visible is the very last map in the list and you cannot select/deselect it or any of the other maps. I don’t know if this is related to my OS (WinXP) or maybe my graphics card (9700 Pro) or what but here is a screenshot of the problem.

I also noticed that the new SortAccessories command (for which I offer my many thanks :)) does not sort items under the “Other” tab. This isn’t really a big deal or anything as the list is very short but it still seems like if I’m gonna sort my lists alphabetically it should be included. I could see where sorting the “Sell” tab could be a problem as the list of items changes but would it be too hard to alphabetize the “Other” tab as well? If not it really isn’t a big deal, the “Weapons” tab is where all the meat is 😉

I’ve already noticed that the server is definately a lot faster at responding to at least some things. Anytime my custom maps come up on the server, anyone who does not have them is RAPIDLY done away with. Same goes for when they first enter the server, it doesn’t lag for several seconds like it used to. This is both a blessing and a curse at the same time hehe. I used to be able to inform the new players about the map pack while they were connecting. Now, however, they get booted so fast its not an option hehe. All in all though, I prefer not having the server lag while they connect and get booted and I commend you for the changes 🙂

I hope I don’t come off sounding like I’m nagging you or anything. I’m just trying to keep you informed as to my findings and slip in my opinions where I can 😉 I understand that this is just a test release and does not represent a finished version.

I really must give credit where credit is due however, as you have made a fine game here that continues to improve at an incredible pace. My hat is off to you sir Gavin, you have my vote for President.

Rob

Bobirov
    Participant

I’ve come across another small bug in this new test release. It seems as though the last accessory in the accessory file is not displayed in the buy list. You can’t really tell with the default accessories because the last one is the laser death animation. But if you have something purchasable at the end of the file, it does not show up on the buy list. I think the accessory is still processed however, as I’ve seen it happen as a death animation as I recall.

I have checked with SortAccessories turned on and off and it makes no difference. The last accessory is not displayed in either case.

May you find this information useful and I’ll keep my eyes peeled for anything else as usual :shock:.

Rob

imported_gcamp
    Participant

For some reason all of the land types are placed on top of one another in the upper left of the window. The only map that is visible is the very last map in the list and you cannot select/deselect it or any of the other maps.

My bad sorry 😳 . I only tested this on Unix. I’ve now fixed it for windows too.

I also noticed that the new SortAccessories command (for which I offer my many thanks :)) does not sort items under the “Other” tab. This isn’t really a big deal or anything as the list is very short but it still seems like if I’m gonna sort my lists alphabetically it should be included. I could see where sorting the “Sell” tab could be a problem as the list of items changes but would it be too hard to alphabetize the “Other” tab as well? If not it really isn’t a big deal, the “Weapons” tab is where all the meat is 😉

Fair nuf, I agree its not really finished this way…so…I’ve fixed this. The sorting now applies to all dialogs and to the in game weapon and shield selection stuff as well.

I’ve already noticed that the server is definately a lot faster at responding to at least some things. Anytime my custom maps come up on the server, anyone who does not have them is RAPIDLY done away with. Same goes for when they first enter the server, it doesn’t lag for several seconds like it used to. This is both a blessing and a curse at the same time hehe. I used to be able to inform the new players about the map pack while they were connecting. Now, however, they get booted so fast its not an option hehe. All in all though, I prefer not having the server lag while they connect and get booted and I commend you for the changes 🙂

Cool, I think :), the new server changes in this version seperate out the coms for all players. This stops players with fast connections being held up by players with slower ones, and it should also allow the server to use all available bandwidth.

You could always put the map pack details into the MOTD i think this is displayed in the console.

I hope I don’t come off sounding like I’m nagging you or anything. I’m just trying to keep you informed as to my findings and slip in my opinions where I can 😉 I understand that this is just a test release and does not represent a finished version.

No worries, its best to finish things properly.

I’ve come across another small bug in this new test release. It seems as though the last accessory in the accessory file is not displayed in the buy list.

Yeah found this too when testing today. I’ve fixed it now.

Thanks for the support and testing 🙂

All the above fixes can be found here:-
    http://www.employees.org/~gcamp/scorched/scorched-test3.zip

Bobirov
    Participant

I can’t wait untill this is an official release and players on my server will be able to see my nice new accessories grouping :). Its funny, now that I’ve made it a point to organize/group my accessories anticipating the new release, I find myself leaving SortAccessories off :oops:.

This is really a nice little incremental version you’ve got going here though, Gavin. It has some great additions. From the server fixes/changes to the more visible help, it has a little something for everyone. The server admin all the way down to the first time user will find something of benefit. A+ 🙂

Rob

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I’ve found another bug in the test version. Well actualy a bug in SDL to be more correct.

This bug causes the number of threads to be limited. After a while you may notice that the server does not register/publish itself and people cannot connect. If this happens let me know and I’ll drop another version with a workaround in it. It may just be a unix pthreads problem.

I guess thats what happens when I start releasing code before its done the full test cycle.

Bobirov
    Participant

K, I’ve been getting similar errors to this one since I started running the test releases. I got this particular error message when I fired a Napalm but it could have been related to someone elses weapon that turn. I got this message box and then the program shut down.

Program Assert
    actionVector_
    73:scorchedsrcactionsShotBounce.cpp

I’ve had a similar error before when firing my Fire Ants weapon that rolls and then uses napalm. I don’t think the error was exactly the same tho. But, I don’t know for sure as I forgot to right it down like a dummy :oops:.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, i’ll have a look into it. ShotBounce is only used for rollers though. So perhaps it was someone elses shot.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Ok, i’ll have a look into it. ShotBounce is only used for rollers though. So perhaps it was someone elses shot.

Were the errors on the client or server or both?

Bobirov
    Participant

Client only I beleive, the times I have received the errors I was the only one to have the problem. Everyone else on the server continues on, business as usual.

I didn’t look in the server messages to see if there was an error reported or not. If I see this happen again, I’ll make sure to look for anything there as well.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok another drop, same rules apply 🙂

http://www.employees.org/~gcamp/scorched/scorched-test4.zip

BTW had any problems with people with 37.1 clients connecting?

Ebonite
    Participant

I’m running the test3 version and frequently encounter this notice:

Warning: net loop took 1.XX seconds, client 201412XXX

Since the client version/number is always the same, I presume it is refering to me, and deals with the net loop taking over 1 second. Does that just mean i’m in danger of lagging and need to clean up my connection somehow?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah, it means it is lagging (very slightly) nothing really to be worried about. Its the time for the client to send or receive message from the server.

Its more useful for the server so we can tell if a client connection is running slowly or if they are just playing slowly :).

I’ll remove the message on the client.

Bobirov
    Participant

Ok, so I’m a little slow on this one. I didn’t notice this last release until a few days after it hit.. 😉

@gcamp wrote:

BTW had any problems with people with 37.1 clients connecting?

No, I personally haven’t noticed any problems with 37.1 clients connecting to the server specifically. I did however get an error one time so far when trying to connect to my own server, which I thought was odd. I believe the error was something like: Client Error: Failed to process coms message.

I have noticed a few small odd bugs with this latest release though. For one, every now and then a tank will still be visible for several seconds after it has been destroyed. I had another user on the server at the time and he saw this as well. I’m not sure if he was running the latest test or not, so I can’t say for sure if its the client or server.

Another thing I have noticed (probably specific to the Windows version) is that both the Auto Defense menu and the AI Type selection menu, in game, do not funciton properly. You click on your parachutes or the AI you are trying to select, and the selection snaps back to default. This makes Auto Defense non funcitonal and renders you unable to select AI types for single player as you cannot tab select the menu and use the keyboard.

You have probably already found these issues in testing by now, but I thought I would mention them in case. Keep up the good work, Gavin, this version is going to be awesome when its final :D.

Rob

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.