This topic contains 42 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 13 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

Don’t know if this is a bug or not as it could just be my connection but I thought I’d mention it as I’ve seen it happen on other servers. At some point the server just randomly dumps EVERYONE on it. They can be talking mere seconds before it happens. I haven’t noticed any definate cause for the dump and appears to be random. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? 😥

Ebonite
    Participant

I’ve noticed it rather often, particularly while Mr Camp was on vacation. Rarely was a game completed in that time, and I missed out on several Game Wins due to crashes in the final round. There was alaos a variable time before the server was stable enough to accept new connections. I only noticed it on the official Scorched servers, though, but since I rarely play on the others, I couldn’t say for sure whether they were immune. 🙁

kennywood
    Participant

funny that it just happened to me today. at first I thought I might have accidentally hit the “kick selected players” instead of “kill all players” on the menu… but then I realized even if I did, I could only kick one player out, not everyone…

the message says everyone did not return within 90 seconds… weird…must be a bug in the server.

Ebonite
    Participant

ok, it just happened on Scorched3D (Player Stats, No Bots) umm, about 9:00 PM my time, so that’s about 4:00 AM GMT, cannot log back in right away

Bobirov
    Participant

Good to know its happening to other servers and not just mine. Hope we can get this bug sorted out because it really ruins a good game to have everyone just get randomly dropped. Most of the time half the people do not return… 😥

Anonymous
    Participant

cheer up mate! at least all the bots will return the next time

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, ive turned on Coms Message logging on all the servers. Let me know if it happens again and I can have a look at the logs.

Meantime I will try to find it by looking at the code some more…

Ebonite
    Participant

roger that, Mr. Camp

Ebonite
    Participant

OK, had a server shut down on Scorched3D (Player stats, no bots) at 5:40 PM my time, umm, 12:40 AM GMT. All players were booted, but we could rejoin immediately.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks, i’m getting closer.

It does not look like a server bug, rather a client bug. Not that it really matters as it amounts to the same thing. Just means it wont be so easily to patch quickly.

I know this is a long shot but can you remember what weapons people were using? Anyone using rollers?

Ebonite
    Participant

it seems to me that these boots happen in between shots, like when the server is trying to sync everybody. usually one can check the score screen and there is one person with an asterisk still by their name, and some 30 seconds later they get kicked. when the whole server goes down, we’re all in there and suddenly everything stops. A few times even, we’ve been able to chat right up to the boot.

As far as weapons, i know I use rollers, but i couldn’t say right off the top of my head whether I, or somebody else, used them just before the server went down. Most of the crashes, but not all, happen in the 8th, 9th, and final rounds, when everyone is throwing the DH’s, Funkies, and nukes. I will keep the weapons in mind next time I see it happen, though.

Bobirov
    Participant

Happened to be watching the server messages when it happened on my server just now. Was in Round 2, not sure what move. Someone had just gotten a kill with my custom “Fire Ants” weapon (which uses rollers) and the game got stuck. Everyone was asking “whats happening?” and then they all got booted for inactivity timeout. It seems like you’re on the right track with the roller idea. Hope this helps.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah I’ve not quite got there yet but I think that the clients are not finishing rendering the round and therefore they don’t tell the server they are ready/finished.

I have put in a kind of fix/workaround that should fix it. This fix makes sure that each rendered action component does not hang around too long. If it does then it is removed allowing the round to finish.

I could perhaps release a test binary for a couple of people to test. If it works everyone else will get kicked bar the pople with the new binary 🙂

Ebonite
    Participant

like a controlled experiment 😈

Ebonite
    Participant

ok, server crash on Scorched3D (Player Stats, No Bots) at 9:25 AM local, that’s, uh, 4:25 PM GMT. happened in round 9, last roller usage had been two (2) shots prior, final act was baby nuke kill on a player, whose death weapon was also a baby nuke. Baby missile and a sandhog variant were also fired in the turn, though both were done by the time the baby nuke hit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.