This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

Has anyone else noticed that the server browser seems to dump the server list every so often? Seems like the database used to store the servers gets cleared out and then it slowly repopulates as the servers re-register.

Is that a built-in behaviour to make sure the list doesn’t hold on to inactive servers for long periods of time or something? If its a bug, I think a bit of investigation might be in order. If its a feature, might there be an alternate method of keeping the list clean? I was thinking maybe log the time of registration and then check to see that the time hasn’t been longer than say a maximum of 20 to 30 minutes or something. If the time goes over the limit, the server is removed from the list.

Just wondering, as I have seen this happen numerous times and I was curious as to the cause of it. I’m sure that, given the proper circumstances, if a new player went to play online for the first time and refreshed to an empty server list it would be a bit of a turn-off.

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

yuP, I have seen that happen alot lately.

I go to refresh the list and sometimes 1 or 2 servers show up..
    sometimes only 1.

what I do is clean out all my temporary internet files cache
    and it then works & refreshes a new complete list.

It’s strange that this happens so often l8ly but,..
    I dont think this is a sourceforge problem.

Deathstryker
    Participant

I wouldn’t think Scorched would store anything in Temporary Internet Files. O_o

Thrax
    Participant

@.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

yuP, I have seen that happen alot lately.
    I go to refresh the list and sometimes 1 or 2 servers show up..
    sometimes only 1.
    It’s strange that this happens so often l8ly but,..
    I dont think this is a sourceforge problem.

From a server side, I also notice that they don’t refresh thier
    registrations often. If a round lasts a long time, it can be lost
    from the list for 20 min or more at a time.

Maybe in v.40, drop in a ‘Manual Announce’ button for when we
    notice it’s not being listed.

BOY
    Participant

I cant add much to the converstation, but yeah, I’ve noticed this sort of thing for some time, off and on, but not much lately. It was the whole reason I posted the “server list” post in the public servers forum.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

This is the way it works….

The server sends a registration message to the web server every 9 mins. If this fails it resends every 30 secs until it works, then its back to 9 mins.

Once the web server gets a message it adds/updates the time it saw this server.

The web server checks to see how old the last registration from a server was. If it was longer than 10 mins then the server is removed from the list.

It would be interesting to know if during these brownouts the servers still think they can reach the webserver or not. I am guessing the web server is busy and is discarding the registration requests.

(It runs on the old sourceforge web server so it is always available).

Bobirov
    Participant

I don’t think there is a problem with contacting the registration server during the ‘brownout’. The very next time the server re-registers with the web server it pops back up in the list. It takes a full cycle of registration requests (about 10 minutes) for the list to re-populate with all the servers. It just seems like the web server dumps the list for some wierd reason.

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ll try to remember to set up a little script to test for connection to the web server from my game server every x minutes, and log it when it cannot. It does seem pretty frequent lately that the server list is empty or almost empty.

Idea: Could we have the server put an entry in the log when the registration fails? Oh wait… I think it already does… will check. 😉

Yup, it does log it:

471	Mon Jun 12 18:07:01 2006 - Contacting registration server...
    472 Mon Jun 12 18:07:01 2006 - Registration request sent.
    473 Mon Jun 12 18:07:02 2006 - Client socket has been closed.
    474 Mon Jun 12 18:07:02 2006 - Registration complete (Success).

I’ll check the logs on my servers next time I see probs in the list.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks, that would be useful.

cbx550f
    Participant

Got a chance just now – the server list was empty, and in my log:

387	Wed Jun 14 13:56:58 2006 - Contacting registration server...
    388 Wed Jun 14 13:56:58 2006 - Registration request sent.
    389 Wed Jun 14 13:57:03 2006 - Client socket has been closed.
    390 Wed Jun 14 13:57:03 2006 - Registration complete (Success).

The current time on my system was 14:02 (18:02 GMT), so five minutes after the previous registration apparently succeeded.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I’ve changed the purging policy for the servers, let me know if this helps.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

I’ve changed the purging policy for the servers, let me know if this helps.

Ok, I think I have found the real reason for the problems and fixed it.
    Let me know if you see any more issues.

Bobirov
    Participant

Awesome, glad to see that one fixed. I’ll keep my eye out. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.