This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Thrax
    Participant

Probably the 2 were mixed because the same man over-see’s them both.
    Believing someone trustable to monitor one would perhaps make them sane in
    the other.. Not always the case, but mostly.

As for default, The mod itself is only altered sparingly by gavin when it seems
    popular enough or needed. The settings that the servers use for rewards and
    limits aren’t really part of the mod, but the choice of whoever hosts or
    manages that server. There were the same setting for such a long time,
    that many main players believed they were set in stone as part of the mod.

After the change to the new version with speed and tank-placing changes,
    those settings were adjusted by someone and many players found them
    unbalanced. I have tried to revert them to close to times of old, and many
    of them are still the Games designated Default.

Forum moderating is just as sensative, and more public. It’s rare to need to
    edit a post for obscene content or spam. Sure, many posts are repetitive or
    unwisely written, but the posters themselves have to live with what they
    wrote. Actual moderating of Forums would also be a minimal job if people
    would think twice about what and why they write.

Rommel
    Participant

Dear Gavin :

Two proposals have been offered for your consideration.

@gcamp wrote:

The next step is to decide what roles and responsibilities the server admins should have

Do you prefer to have the base level, slapping, whacking and banning
    or do you prefer that they function more as moderators and reporters ?

Rommel

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The levels that thrax gave are pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I would expect all of the admins would get the first level and see how it goes. If that is too restrictive or people request more options then it can be evaluated. This isn’t meant to be removing authority from admins but mearly reducing their workload and defining roles more clearly. e.g. people can shout at me about server settings I and I know I have to change them.

Also going forward I think the server and forum moderation tasks should be split. Server admins still have access to the private forum but no admin in the server forum.

I’m also proposing that “player and server complaints” gets renamed to “online game discussion” or something similar. For discussion about all things online, including what rules/servers/mods people want to be placed on the server.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

The levels that thrax gave are pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I would expect all of the admins would get the first level and see how it goes. If that is too restrictive or people request more options then it can be evaluated. This isn’t meant to be removing authority from admins but mearly reducing their workload and defining roles more clearly. e.g. people can shout at me about server settings I and I know I have to change them.

Also going forward I think the server and forum moderation tasks should be split. Server admins still have access to the private forum but no admin in the server forum.

I’m also proposing that “player and server complaints” gets renamed to “online game discussion” or something similar. For discussion about all things online, including what rules/servers/mods people want to be placed on the server.

These all sound like great ideas to me. The server and moderation tasks being separate was how I always thought the forums and game was setup. Thats what happens when you assume.
    Just because some one makes a good server admin does not mean they should be able to change posts etc on the forums. Just my honest opinion.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

I’m also proposing that “player and server complaints” gets renamed to “online game discussion” or something similar.

Just because some one makes a good server admin does not mean they should be able to change posts etc on the forums. Just my honest opinion.

That sounds good to me. Maybe you could just have a sticky post relating to complaints and scuffles.

Viking62
    Participant

Ditto from me also.

Loke
    Participant

Sounds good – especially the renaming of the complaints section to have a much broader scope

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, I’ve renamed the game server forum and removed server admin moderation from it.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.