This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

DeVice
    Participant

Gavin,

Something you could consider worth adding somewhere on your todo list :
    The ability to build a server-only executable, removing all dependencies on graphic stuff that won’t be used if you never run the client part on a computer. (Say, a server 😉 )

Eventually a command line only server (no X needed) would de nice too, but that’s not that important.

And while am on the server subject, little question : Is there a way to make the server automagically starting as soon the executable is launched (for putting in startup scripts if i want a 24/7 server) instead of having to click on the “start multiplayer…” button ?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The ability to build a server-only executable, removing all dependencies on graphic stuff that won’t be used if you never run the client part on a computer. (Say, a server )

Scorched used to come in two seperate binaries, the server and the client. But people complained so I moved it into one process.
    I you run scorched and it cannot initialize the GL then it will still allow you to run the server, but not the client.

I guess I could split it out again, but I am not sure how easy that would be now.

Eventually a command line only server (no X needed) would de nice too, but that’s not that important.

This should be easier and could be done without too much effort.

And while am on the server subject, little question : Is there a way to make the server automagically starting as soon the executable is launched (for putting in startup scripts if i want a 24/7 server) instead of having to click on the “start multiplayer…” button ?

Scorched takes command line parameteres. One of these is -startserver. This will start the server without displaying any configuration dialogs. This parameter takes one argument, the name of a server config file (data/server.xml by default).

This allows you to generate server configs using the guis, save them by coping server.xml to a different file and then start a server using the different configs by specifiying them on the command line.

DeVice
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

The ability to build a server-only executable, removing all dependencies on graphic stuff that won’t be used if you never run the client part on a computer. (Say, a server )

Scorched used to come in two seperate binaries, the server and the client. But people complained so I moved it into one process.
    I you run scorched and it cannot initialize the GL then it will still allow you to run the server, but not the client.

I guess I could split it out again, but I am not sure how easy that would be now.

This should be easier and could be done without too much effort.

Dunno why i figured getting rid of X would be heavier job than just not using 3D stuff and the like. But then, if you can easyly do a console-only server exec., thats fine. It would be the lighter solution to host on an already buzy server.

Scorched takes command line parameteres. One of these is -startserver. This will start the server without displaying any configuration dialogs. This parameter takes one argument, the name of a server config file (data/server.xml by default).

This allows you to generate server configs using the guis, save them by coping server.xml to a different file and then start a server using the different configs by specifiying them on the command line.

Fine, thanks for the reply. Is that documented in any place i missed other than code itself (which i reckon i was too lazy to browse) ?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Dunno why i figured getting rid of X would be heavier job than just not using 3D stuff and the like. But then, if you can easyly do a console-only server exec., thats fine. It would be the lighter solution to host on an already buzy server.

What I do at the moment is run a VNC server to create another virtual X display and then run the servers on that display. Using VNC also means I can use the server GUIs remotely from other machines. Seems to work well for me.

Fine, thanks for the reply. Is that documented in any place i missed other than code itself (which i reckon i was too lazy to browse) ?

Don’t think so. Perhaps I should put the above two bits of info in the docs area. My guess is that don’t people read that either though 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.