This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 12 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Should I complain because the game is free?

I think that it’s time that Admins log on in admin mode when joining in a game rather than waiting for a request that they take action.

Furthermore, when an admin has “free time” they should be able to IP log players on the server at any given time.

There is a problem that arises when unethical players can selectively freeze other player’s actions. I’m not going to go into detail until I narrow down the exact cause of this.

I will tell you that it’s time for the Admins to keep their boots on and Observe/ Log / and Kick. Players that join in with offensive nicknames including those who use “nigger” “fucker” And a few other choice words. Without warning BAN.

Chat room admins have learned to have “zero tolerance” and now it’s time that scorched admins have “zero tolerance”.

I don’t like to see apache telling anyone that it’s the 4th final warning. Apache, BAN them. Let them cry about it later.

When it’s obvious that tools are being used against others via ping / chat flood and back-door security exploits, BAN them.

Also, there should be a list of characther runs that are not allowed in nicknames. ie: !@#$%^&*()_{}|”:?>< ,./';[]=-0987654321 the letter F and U in conjunction and the letters BIT in conjunction can be added. This game is not worth anyone having to reformat their hard-drive or have to take extended amounts of time to re-boot and then tinker around with settings that are being changed by a security flaw that has been exploited by “certain players”. When a Ban occurs. There are ways of dealing with it legally. When exploits are used, there needs to be documentation to prosecute those who “bug” other players computers. Gavin, please look into making the (file exchange) system bullet-proof.

A person, whom I have had problems with before has been using that same hack to fuck with my machine, and a few other peoples as well.

Where sound reverberates and movement of your weapon and chat is frozen.

They just laugh it off, like they are immune to any retaliation. Even when it’s presented when the chat temporarily unfreezes.

There are ways to beat them down and it’s time that action takes place.

Every few Months these people come in and spoil the game for a few players including myself. Usually after a stats re-set.

If actions are not taken now and a set of administrative guidelines are not enforced, the community will shrink. The game won’t continue to grow and it can become as “obscure” as the original Scorched Earth DOS game.

Then all two or three players that use these security flaws can play it on their own.

Apollo

Panther30
    Participant

I have seen the offensive names used on my server as well. When I catch them, I dont even tell them, they are automatically kicked. I will work on banning later. Yeah that kinda thing does get out of hand.
    I’ve never experienced a freeze like you mention, though I did see someone just sit in spectator mode for an hour and 15 minutes yesterday afternoon and do nothing but waste bandwidth. I’m sure that would contribute to some lag, but I didn’t have time to play on my onw server and check it out myself ( i was working on some weapons for the server). Keep watching for this stuff Apollo and I will take this as a warning and watch my server more carefully.

thanks,

—Panther30

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I’ll have a look into it, but if you could PM me with details of what you think is happening then that would be good.

Are you running a firewall? Remember no-one should be able to change anything with a firewall running.

Willis
    Participant

Yes AT I did hear you tell me something fishy was going on last night. I did get an IP list of the users online too. If you wish, please PM me with IP address(s) that were givng you troubles and I will cross refernece those with the users in game.

Also in that PM, please explain to me how you could determain (or if you were only going on suspicion please explain your forsigns) which users in question are guilty.

I’ll start signing in right away but I’ll still work in my relaxed environment, which really just means if its all in good fun then I let it slide, if it goes consistant or personal I speak up.

Panther30
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

I’ll have a look into it, but if you could PM me with details of what you think is happening then that would be good.

Are you running a firewall? Remember no-one should be able to change anything with a firewall running.

yeah I am running a hardware firewall. I will keep a closer eye on my server though. at the moment I am running a zero tolerance policy. I dont know if I can get more strict than that 🙂 I will report any potential infractions here if they are worth mentioning, so other people running servers can be forewarned.

—Panther30

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

I PM’ed Gavin on the technique that I beleive is being used.

I won’t disclose it in the forum.

We will have to wait and see if my thinking is correct as to the methodology.

I’m only doing the Detective work 8) , Gavin’s going to have to do the Forensics 🙄

We might be seeing some changes going on though, if my “Gut instinct” is correct.

It’s rare for me to be wrong, let’s see what the next couple of days brings us.

Right now I have carpel tunnel syndrome from the typing that i’ve done in the last 10 minutes.

😉

A.T.

OH! btw Willie, can you look up the hosting locations for the IP’s from when I requested that you capture them during that incident?

I think you might be surprised when you do. 😆

KR.A.T

Willis
    Participant

Apollo I’d love to but unfortunatly I don’t know what to use.

I’ve asked a few different hang-outs where I should go or what I should download to aquire a map location of the ISP from an IP, maybe I should try asking here 🙄 ….

So Gavin, Apollo, or whoever that might know. Got any peice of software or website in mind? Key things are Free, and RELIABLE. I’ve even wondered if there is a Command Prompt feature?

Feedback Please!

guy parker
    Participant

if there’s a problem i really hope it is fixed. i haven’t been messed up yet, but it’s a scary thought to have someone mess with your machine through a game. my only real comment here is regading this little bit:

Also, there should be a list of characther runs that are not allowed in nicknames. ie: !@#$%^&*()_{}|”Confused><,./';[]=-0987654321 the letter F and U in conjunction and the letters BIT in conjunction can be added.

I agree these special characters are mostly uncalled for, but the numbers are nice to have. also, if you couldn’t use F and U in conjunction you couldn’t use FUNKY 🙂 I’m sure there’s some legitimate uses of BIT-something also.

but, a filter on the whole spelled out curse words would be nice, also in chat where then people could cuss but it would just show up at #@$& or —- or whatever.

of course, the cursing is a minor backburner item compared to any security exploits or game freeze hacks.[/quote]

Cambo
    Participant

maybe it’s time we implemented a vote-ban system…
    a server setting and a console comand… some one prompts a ban message(as in votemap in Counter strike) then it’s up to players to agree or not, and when the precentage of players that vote to ban a player reaches the server setting the player gets banned.

I swear 1/3rds of the messages in this forum are people bitching about other players. With a vote system banning might be extreeme but kicking via voting would resolve most of these issues.

Cam

poolee
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Apollo I’d love to but unfortunatly I don’t know what to use.

I’ve asked a few different hang-outs where I should go or what I should download to aquire a map location of the ISP from an IP, maybe I should try asking here 🙄 ….

So Gavin, Apollo, or whoever that might know. Got any peice of software or website in mind? Key things are Free, and RELIABLE. I’ve even wondered if there is a Command Prompt feature?

Feedback Please!

Hi Willis

Try this site: http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Cheers
    Poolee

Ebonite
    Participant

@cambo wrote:

maybe it’s time we implemented a vote-ban system…
    a server setting and a console comand… some one prompts a ban message(as in votemap in Counter strike) then it’s up to players to agree or not, and when the precentage of players that vote to ban a player reaches the server setting the player gets banned.

I swear 1/3rds of the messages in this forum are people bitching about other players. With a vote system banning might be extreeme but kicking via voting would resolve most of these issues.

Cam

Possible, but I fear it would be abused quite often. What stands out in my mind is people setting play rules (no shields, etc.) and voting out players who don’t obey, a topic mentioned in about 3 other threads.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Or if there are two people in the server that want to run the place and vote ban everyone that joins.

Of course a higher server setting would prevent this but then this method wouldn’t be effecient for a small amount of people.

Willis
    Participant

Well.. I too, am apposed to a SIMPLE vote system, for reasons said.

It is possible that there could be a mandatory of 5 votes minimum to get something passed regarldess on user count (so if it was only 5 people in the room.. it could never pass unless the victum was stupid enough to vote yes). After that maybe an 60% vote requirment.

This would mean at a level of 6 players and above:

#players – MinimumVotesNeeded
    6 – 5
    7 – 5
    8 – 5
    9 – 6
    10 – 6
    11 – 7
    12 – 8

Harsh but certainly little room for bias.

Anyway, with the right settings and requirments, if it comes to be emplanted I suggest this:

There are (preferably by user ID) users who are above being kick/banned. IE (maybe not to be limited to..) the Admin staff.

I suggest that the grouping be registered by gamerID because the only other way would be the admin must be signed in. Which simply means until they sign in they are eligable to be kicked/banned. Heavin forbid someone ever be waiting for an admin signing on and in their 10-20 seconds of helplessness someone votes and passes a ban.

Its just more secure and less chaotic to have, maybe link it to the forum user ID’s field for stats. A block list for kick/ban is assigned to forum member’s IDs. Which are matched with the forum member’s gamer ID (used to show stat’s in posts). If the gamer ID signing onto server matches with any block’d users forum gamer ID.. kick/ban null and void.

I’d also like to suggest admin ability to turn on/off the vote system. turning off would also shut down/fail any active votes.

One final and critical suggestion, Gavin if this is to be, please be certain to have a database table that records any given vote ever. Recoding vote submitter user ID (not the long id, but the stat’s version.. mine being 104), vote submitter IP address, vote type (kick/ban/differentMap?/NextMap?/ [hint-hint]), (if its kick/ban/mute) vote victum ID, vote victum IP address, timestamp of vote, and anything else you may think of being of help.

Also have a page that displays this information and have it accessable to the admin staff. Maybe a subpage that lists a count of total votes gernated by userID. Count of votes against (victum) userID.

After typing all that I thought about it more and came to a concusion.. A vote kick/ban system would be efficient with the right mannor of needing votes to get the job done. The key to make the best of it, would be in monitoring who uses it and how. With alot of us (admin staff I mean) being daily visitors, having a tracking system would make correcting an unfair use of the system since the offense, a matter of hour(s).

Deathstryker
    Participant

I don’t think it will be a simple process in any way (Not saying anybody said that, BTW). Even if we do have an advanced voting system the more advanced it got the more potential there is for exploits. It would have to be tested quite a bit before just being thrown out into the public, I think.

hobbesme
    Participant

@panther30 wrote:

though I did see someone just sit in spectator mode for an hour and 15 minutes yesterday afternoon and do nothing but waste bandwidth.

hehe 🙂 That was me. Sorry!

I’m on vacation & had access to broadband from our hotel room in Orlando so I played online for a few rounds & then watched TV & Scorched as a spectator for about an hour! I did make a few comments every once in a while, but I was mostly watching the game for fun!

Sorry if I made you all suspicious of my game-server-hacking skillz!

❗ Vote for Pedro ❗

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.