This topic contains 54 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathbal 9 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

BigBear
    Participant

A while back POM asked to adjust the score settings slightly on main. Unfortunately the debate went in another direction after a few posts but it’s not the first time this has been debated although maby not intensely in the forums.

Anyhoooooo, as I recall it many ppl (me included) have thought for a while that 4 kills to match 1 rnd win is a bit much. The idea is that lowering the gap would increase the tactical options of the game a bit. The new settings are:

Wins = 150 pts
    Kills = 50 pts
    Assists = 10 pts

This is a trial meant to last for two weeks (ie it ends July 9th). Please add your opinions and suggestions here!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Looks pretty good to me.
    Has the money remained the same for health points and round wins?

This should also help with self dirting to get a round win as kills are a better bet.
    Should be interesting to see what the runners do now, escaping death in the hope of a win while forgoing a poss / certain kill.

As a suggestion (unless already done) would it be possible to add the bulk of that post to the MOTD, even though I suspect, like myself, most people skip through it anyway.

Rommel
    Participant

To Peanut’s Revenge:

Muhahahahaha@peanutsrevenge wrote:

This should also help with self dirting to get a round win as kills are a better bet.
    Should be interesting to see what the runners do now, escaping death in the hope of a win while forgoing a poss / certain kill.

As a suggestion (unless already done) would it be possible to add the bulk of that post to the MOTD, even though I suspect, like myself, most people skip through it anyway.

This won’t prevent me from dirting, silly rabbit. It is still better to survive a round than to die. The only time you can make a sacrifice pay off under the new point system is to die while taking 4 other players with you. If you use a Death’s Head and take out 3 players but someone else kills you in the process, you broke even on the points. As for running from a sure kill, that’s never been a good idea to me as you usually just end up getting killed trying to run anyway.

To the Admins:

Thank you for your help in this and all Scorched matters. Hopefully some additional server side options are being contemplated.

Rommel

hobbesme
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

Wins = 150 pts
    Kills = 50 pts
    Assists = 10 pts

Although with this point distribution, the scores are nicer multiples of 50s & 100s more often; the ratio of round-wins-to-kills hasn’t changed much :

Current = 150 points round win / 50 points kill = 3:1
    Previous = 100 points round win / 30 points kill = 3.33:1

A 10% decrease in the ratio — not THAT different.

PoM suggested a 2.5:1 ratio which is a slightly more significant ratio difference (25%). I’d like a trial run with a 2.5:1 ratio since a 2:1 ratio cheapens round wins too much but a 2.5:1 ratio should stimulate new competition.

Can we do that? As PoM suggested either 75 points for a round win & 30 points for a kill (previous) or 125 points for a round win & 50 points for a kill (current)?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I think this will make all the difference.
    Previously there would have to be occasions when 4 kills or 3 kills and 2 assists per round to equal a win, now a nice round (no pun to the avatar thread intended 🙂 ) 3 kills is required. That, I think will make all the difference.

BigBear
    Participant

Win = 100 pts & Kill = 40 pts is a valid configuration so yes it’s possible to do a 1:2.5 ratio.

naka
    Participant

i think the optimal round/kill ratio is somewere between 3 and 2.5
    3.3 is too much and if it is below 2 (2.5) it will eliminate some tacktical aspects of the game.

I asked for 2.5 before. but if we choose some numbers they must be round to 100,150,50,40,5 for easy calculations in the mind.

other possible values:

(2.5) w: 100 k: 40
    (2.86) w: 100 k: 35

I have no idea what must be the optimal kill/assist ratio? how much assists must be equal to 1 kill? 4 or 5?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I think this thread needs to have as many peoples input as possible.

The optimal ratios will vary from person to person depending on the main way they like to play.
    Some examples.

Some will like more for wins (self dirters, bubble butts), others will want more for kills (myself) and some would like more points for assists (myself and prob those that are good with lasers).

Rommel
    Participant

Hi All:

A RFC has been issued:@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I think this thread needs to have as many peoples input as possible.

Without any real disscussion taking place, my opinions are as wet clay sitting upon the wheel.

Round Win -vs- Kill :

Things Considered:

Multi-Kill Weapons:

Death’s Heads, Funky Bombs, Heavy Sandhogs, etc., allow a player to rapidly increase their points with one shot. A high point per kill value encourages players to hoard up cash for these weapons and wait on a lucky placement.

Round Resignations:

Setting the kill value too close to the round value encourages players to play almost totally offensively.

Making the round win award substancially better than the kill award encourages the players to spend money on defensive items (fuel, chutes, shields, etc.) and to concentrate more on staying alive than on how many kills they can make.

A round win value about 4 times the kill value seems about right to me.

Kill -vs- Assist :

Things Considered:

Injured players can prevent an assist by using batteries.

Assists often determine which tank(s) survive the round.

An assist value of about 60 percent of the kill value seems fair to me.

Don’t be shy now, speak up.

Rommel

pastor of muppets
    Participant

In the middle of a game now using the new points system and it is a VERY close game. That might have something to do with the fact tha all in here are pretty good but it’s round 8 and any of the top 7 out of 9 could win this one.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

I won!!!!!!!! It seems to work well for now must play another game for research purposes.

hobbesme
    Participant

@pastor of muppets wrote:

In the middle of a game now using the new points system and it is a VERY close game. That might have something to do with the fact tha all in here are pretty good but it’s round 8 and any of the top 7 out of 9 could win this one.

I won!!!!!!!! It seems to work well for now must play another game for research purposes.

Yeah well, I don’t know if THAT last game was representative of a typically unbalanced game. As you pointed out, there were a number of veteran players playing KTL & not allowing any one player to get a tremendous round-win lead/advantage.

@bigbear wrote:

Win = 100 pts & Kill = 40 pts is a valid configuration so yes it’s possible to do a 1:2.5 ratio.

@naka wrote:

i think the optimal round/kill ratio is somewere between 3 and 2.5
    3.3 is too much and if it is below 2 (2.5) it will eliminate some tacktical aspects of the game.
    I asked for 2.5 before.
    but if we choose some numbers they must be round to 100,150,50,40,5 for easy calculations in the mind.

I have no idea what must be the optimal kill/assist ratio? how much assists must be equal to 1 kill? 4 or 5?

I’d personally be OK with a 100/40/10 wins/kills/assists ratio.

BOY
    Participant

yeah, I agree with hobbesme, this change is rather insignificant, but I always like more kills as a general rule so I am basically in favor 🙂

Really though, what if we did somethign more daring?

When you stop to think, what is the hardest thing to do in the game? Wins? Kills? MultiKills? No, it is a combination of them. It is much harder to get 4 kills and still win the round. I think a more robust scroing system would reward survival in the following way.

a round win is worth a base of 50 points, Kills are increased in value the more you get in the round. Such as

1st kill = 10 pts
    2nd kill = 20 points
    3rd kill = 30 points
    4th kill = 50 points
    TOTAL for kills in this case = 110 points for the round
    Round win = 50 points plus 50% bonus for all kills (55 points)

NEW TOTAL FOR ROUND = 110 +50 +55 —> 215 points
    Round win = 50 points

This rewards players more for both efficiency and survival.

I think it could also be used to help fix the bad skill rating system. 😀

Thrax
    Participant

Totally side thought, Why use the big numbers at all.

You want a 1-2-5 ratio? why not use 1 , 2 , and 5.

The level of points at the end still adds up to a winner, but needs
    less thinking to sort out.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Nice idea Boy.
    How tricky would that be to impliment though?

If thinking slightly out of the box, how about additional points for bubble popping, the tougher the bubble, the more points?

I would add the harder the kill, I.E high wind in a cave map where the missile has to be posted through a slit AND chip away at the mountain, in the hope/knowledge that you have got the right angle for it (I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about).

However, I know that this would require some pretty slick coding, where those skills and time could be better implimented elsewhere (would be wickid though).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.