This topic contains 65 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 10 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

The main server settings are changed as follows, I have adjusted the values for score to get closer to the 35/10 ratio gavin was after.

MONEYWONFORROUND 3000
    MONEYWONFORLIVES 5000
    MONEYWONPERKILLPOINT 750
    MONEYWONPERMULTIKILLPOINT 0
    MONEYWONPERASSISTPOINT 250
    MONEYWONPERHITPOINT 500
    MONEYPERROUND 0
    MONEYPERHEALTHPOINT on
    SCOREPERMONEY 0
    SCOREPERASSIST 6
    SCOREPERKILL 30
    SCOREWONFORROUND 100

SCOREWONFORLIVES 0

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

The main server settings are changed as follows, I have adjusted the values for score to get closer to the 35/10 ratio gavin was after.

MONEYWONFORROUND 3000
    MONEYWONFORLIVES 5000

Note that one single life games, this is redundant. A life left is a round win, and a round win is a life left. 😉

hobbesme
    Participant

@boy wrote:

MONEYWONFORROUND 3000
    MONEYWONFORLIVES 5000
    MONEYWONPERKILLPOINT 750
    MONEYWONPERHITPOINT 500
    MONEYPERROUND 0
    MONEYPERHEALTHPOINT on
    SCOREPERMONEY 0
    SCOREPERASSIST 6
    SCOREPERKILL 30
    SCOREWONFORROUND 100

SCOREWONFORLIVES 0

Just curious, but if you “adjusted the values for score to get closer to the 35/10 ratio”, why did you set the values to create a 100/30 ratio?! :

SCOREWONFORROUND  100
    SCOREPERKILL 30
    SCOREPERASSIST 6

Instead of :

SCOREWONFORROUND   35
    SCOREPERKILL 10
    SCOREPERASSIST 2

Sorry to bitch about this some more, just wondering if you thought 100 per round win was a cooler “round” number than 35.

BOY
    Participant

using the management port, I am only allowed to select either 50 or 100.

Brain Damage
    Participant

as i said here the new menagement port doesn’t allow you to use custom values, it will only let you pick values from a drop down list (this is the reason because a bit time ago there was the mess about interests dropping to 0); if the server is using a non-standard value (no matter if you change that particular value) if you save the options that value will be set to 0

that’s why we can’t have anymore 33% interests on offical’s or 25k starting money unless those drop down list box gets replaced by text fields or combo list box

BOY
    Participant

I think also, that some of the settings, if they are set with a bad value the server will crash.

BOY
    Participant

I don’t pay much attention to the beginner server, but it came up that there is a score imbalance. I believe it is the beginners server that is the issue.

MONEYWONFORROUND 1000
    MONEYWONFORLIVES 5000
    MONEYWONPERKILLPOINT 750
    MONEYWONPERHITPOINT 250
    MONEYPERROUND 0
    MONEYPERHEALTHPOINT on

SCOREPERMONEY 0
    SCOREPERASSIST 2
    SCOREPERKILL 10
    SCOREWONFORROUND 35
    SCOREWONFORLIVES 250

It currently takes over 38 kills to equal one round win
    unless I hear back about this, I’ll remove the points for lives (only the winners have a life at the end, so all round wins get an extra 250 in current settings. )

Ebonite
    Participant

Those were the original scoring setting when v40 came out. Due to player demand, Gavin changed the system on Main to what it is currently. It was felt, at the time, that Beginners should remain unchanged so new players would learn the value of surviving over killing. I believe it was also a deterrant to good players who would go in and mass kill the newbs, so their 50 kills per game would not mean as much.

BOY
    Participant

Sounds like good reasoning, but I would still contend that the scoring is a bit unbalanced.

Why the 2 points for assists? just a token score to make them feel better?

Ebonite
    Participant

I think assists was still a new concept, and nobody was sure how to balance it. If you’ll notice, Assists are worth 20% of kills on both servers; 2 / 10 on beginners, and 6 / 30 on main.

BigBear
    Participant

The score is still bogus!!! 30 vs 100 means 4 kills per rnd win!!! A strategy based on kills is still way too heavily penalised. Since funky bombs is the predominante weapon from at least rnd 5 check it out the rnd outcome is extremely dependant on initial positioning.

Point of interest. This situation will most likely get even worse with the propositioned 16 player server.

Deathbal
    Participant

Change the funky bomb, solve the problem. Why do people have to always try to work around the main issue? Change something about the funky. The price, the amount of bomblets, the tracking…….maybe make shields funky proof……anything…..

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Change the funky bomb, solve the problem. Why do people have to always try to work around the main issue? Change something about the funky. The price, the amount of bomblets, the tracking…….maybe make shields funky proof……anything…..

These days I am one of the first to shout nerf! nerf! nerf! when it comes to funkies (and hogs for that matter) so no argument there. However that’s not the main problem, it just makes the imbalance between kills/wins more evident. The solution to this problem (granted that you like me think it is a problem) would be to refactor the kill/win score ratio to 1:3.

Ebonite
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

… refactor the kill/win score ratio to 1:3.

1 kill to 3 wins? Why bother winning then? I’m playing less and less because of the increasing focus on killing at the cost of strategy. Making one (1) kill worth the same as three (3) wins would drive me away completely. Scorched is becoming more and more like FPS’s, where “frags” are the status symbol, winning is determined by who gets to what weapon first, and the game winner is determined by luck, timing, and, eventually, hacks.

Guardian Angel
    Participant

@EboniteI wrote:

I’m playing less and less because of the increasing focus on killing at the cost of strategy.

Interesting viewpoint… For me, it is rather current way of scoring that really can make me cease playing…

BigBear, I’m glad that you share the same view on the scoring subject as I do.

I think that amount of score per round win is too big.
    That often leads to victories of AVERAGE players who don’t serve as primary targets due to being dangerous. So getting round victories which outweigh score of those who really play good.
    So current mode says that average – are best, when they win…

Probably there is some misunderstanding in 1:3…

For me it looks good about 50 pts per round victory.

Strategy. That sounds fun.

Ebo, can you explain (and Willis also, saw you mentioning ‘strategy’ in this topic), what is the strategy that can help one avoid being killed with first shot?

If you had luck to survive, first 1-2 shots, your round victory really somewhat depends on your skills. But it is BASED on luck.

We share some material to analyse.

Last sunday (prob. saturday for you) games.
    Remember the game, when you beaten me (Two Pizza) in score in last round and won?

I was the leader until the very end, you and Bruin were my opponents.

You killed Bruin with 1st dh shot. What is that strategy that could help him win at that moment? (besides your dh there were several funks of other players)

I used some ‘strategy’… had somewhat lucky remote placement, so drove down to the base of the mountain. Which was gone after few shots.

It was your luck that you didnt receive multiple funks with first shots, they all went for me and Bruin.

Yes, you got that luck and you USED it, that was due to your skill. You killed all who remained.

Imagine the situation I survived that round. If I did, i would still be the winner. But it could be possible for me with very peculiar placement, wind, and wall settings. So that you couldn’t get me with funks. Again – only LUCK could do it.

Imagine I survived and you – having done the most work in that final round, not became the winner, because I had luck to survive it in a safe position? Where is the strategy? Does it look JUST to you?

I had many games where somebody got the best score because of surviving. LUCKY surviving. And often surviving was based on bad skills! Of all who survived after they mass-funky-killed two-three best most dangerous players.

Even had ridiculous games when winner had far less kills than round victories.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.