This topic contains 65 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

why does willis suggest that it takes no skill to shoot one?

Your reading into things too much. My breif statement regarding funky throwers and skill, was in response to your suggestion to make kills a dominating factor in the game.

Instead of a challenge to survive its a challenge to get as many kills, and hey a person who dies the first move every round can still be the winner in these cases. Just get 1-2 kills every time!

The funky can be an easy weapon to get kills or a hard weapon. All depends on terrain and wind. Especially winds.

BOY
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Instead of a challenge to survive its a challenge to get as many kills, and hey a person who dies the first move every round can still be the winner in these cases. Just get 1-2 kills every time!

It doesnt’ seen you’re thinking it through. Okay, first of all, 1.5 kill average, even with a funky every shot is quite high. nobody is going to have a 150% kill ratio. even if you could, economy would not allow it 🙄 Survival does not all of the sudden cease to be important

Not only that, imagine kills being the winning factor, you would need many more than 15 kills in a decent game of 10 players in order to win.

how to do that? You must both survive and get kills to win, You can’t increase your kill count – IF YOU’RE DEAD. Does that not make sense? Do you see how the difficulty level increases? 👿
    (even if you did die first shot each round, you certainly must be a serious threat, or very very stupid)

The point is, there is a way to make the games such that surivial and kills are both required to win. In the case of the main servers, kills are not requried (although it would be tricky to win without any at all) This leads to all kinds of boring tacics.

cbx550f
    Participant

I have a solution!!

Get rid of the buy, get rid of rounds, and just make a game that has about 25 shots or so, and you get weapons and stuff by shooting at objects on the map!

(Sorry, I just had to say that. :P)

BigBear
    Participant

Same old story then. So far there hasn’t been a single person arguing for the current way of calculating score. The main purpose of the topic was to see if there could be support or interest in an alternative approach. Instead it’s all about squabbling over details and off topic issues. Even the old familiar spam-this-crappy-topic-to-death fest has started. Sweet! Since I have no idea how to steer this one back on track and the possibility that anyone will want to get into this mess is extremely slim at best I hope this little rant can be an effective topic killer instead.

Dammit, I should have made a poll with a ‘no comments please’ clause instead *makes mental note*.

BOY
    Participant

Biggie, i tried to tell you, it has always been this way. This is one of those cases of go make your own server kinda thing 😳

For the record, cb’s suggested settings are illegal in all 50 states! Narcotics have different regulations in Candada i think though.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Pass the spam please.

BigBear
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Biggie, i tried to tell you, it has always been this way. This is one of those cases of go make your own server kinda thing 😳

For the record, cb’s suggested settings are illegal in all 50 states! Narcotics have different regulations in Candada i think though.

No worries! I always get up again. 😈 No matter what the topic though I will never ever accept that ‘it has always been this way’ as a reason not to bother trying.

It’s not the responses so far that dissapoint me the most, they were just as expected. I had hoped that more people would have given their opinions (perhaps silly but I think I always will hope for a change in that department).

One last thing. Way to go moderators. No better way to show the community how to act than having someone with the moderator tag spamming threads outside of the offtopic section. Keep up the good work!

EDIT BY WILLIS:
    See this topic for response(s): http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=29666

imported_gcamp
    Participant

As someone said earlier the scoring was set up this way to replicate the default scorched behaviour of winning rounds take precedence over kills. This is an entirely valid configuration.

I guess the question could be :
    “Do people fancy a different winning criteria on the official servers”.

BigBear
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

As someone said earlier the scoring was set up this way to replicate the default scorched behaviour of winning rounds take precedence over kills. This is an entirely valid configuration.

Agreed! The intention of the question was never to question the validity of the current settings , but as you say rather if they were the preferred settings by players. I’m still thinking about doing a poll, but hopefully a prior discussion could help constructing a poll with better, clearer options to choose from.

BOY
    Participant

although I love to depricate the settings, I also love them too 😯 I also love to change things, sooo, hrrrmm 😕 Nobody else seems to. 😛

however, Gavin last night I noticed that kills can only be worth a maximum of 50 points in the game!!!

while round wins can be worth up to 1000 😥

It made it impossible to balance the kill score and the money score since the money score at a minimum of 1 gives 10 points per $1000. wanted the kills to determine winner, while ties would go to the most money.

That setup is nearly impossible withough making all cash rewards very tiny . Could you maybe add a POSSIBLITY to make the kills worth more points, or perhaps the money less or something? such as 1 pt per $1000 instead of 1 per $100 ❗

Brain Damage
    Participant

*bringing back ontopic* 😕 😛

i’d like to see a more ballanced score too; my reasons are:

last man standing stategies will still work; as soon as you make the round winning worth some points (50 or 35 sounds perfect to me) you can still buy teleport & fuel and try the tactic “last mand standing”; doing that some times will ensure you will collect enought points to win

killing people will work as well; i know you need skills to survive but the aiming skills requied to survive gets relevant only when 2 or 3 people are left alive and they don’t own big weapons (to make things clear i’m not complaining at the weapons); when there are more people it’s mostly lucky positioning that will decide if you will survive or not (assuming you are not playing with total beginners who doesn’t even know how to shoot)

both of those strategies (shot & run, kill without caring of your life) will be ballanced; players will need to elaborate both strategies and the game winner will be decided on the player who excelled on both fields, not just the first type of strategy; if you prefer to see it in another way, it will move the skill requiement to win a game from mostly surviving skills and low shooting skills to a more ballanced shooting skills & surviving skills

i do have more reasons but i do not feel posting something too long this time

Willis
    Participant

Ok.. *tries to post in order*

Same old story then. So far there hasn’t been a single person arguing for the current way of calculating score. The main purpose of the topic was to see if there could be support or interest in an alternative approach. Instead it’s all about squabbling over details and off topic issues.

As classic BigBear, to ask “does this make any sense” resorts in a automatic NO by 90% of the community. So it really becomes a waste of time to limit discussion at that.

Getting into the heart of the matter of HOW changes should be made is the next step, and the step we automaticly turn to.

BigBear
    Participant

@willis wrote:

As classic BigBear, to ask “does this make any sense” resorts in a automatic NO by 90% of the community. So it really becomes a waste of time to limit discussion at that.

Getting into the heart of the matter of HOW changes should be made is the next step, and the step we automaticly turn to.

You do have a point there. I should have specified more clearly that it was the off topic stuff that bothered me mostly (knowing well that I commented on that too). Offcourse the thread should not be limited to yes/no to the current settings. That was not what I meant at all.

BOY
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Indeed, it is a valid configuration. Any configuration can make for an interesting game with the level of players we now have. I do think the games could be a better contest.

round wins determining the winner makes the game much like a football game (downs=turns) in which the winner is decided solely on the time of possession, with a tie going to the one with the most points.

Yes, the time of possession is a good indicator of the better team, and to continue to keep the ball you eventually score. However, I think the fans would surely think the game much more boring, as scoring is much less than it could be. Immagine if time of possession or if first downs were actually worth points!!

*sits back quite happy with the most amazing sports analogy ever*

cbx550f
    Participant

I don’t have any strong feelings ether way, but here’s how I feel:

It’s fine the way it is. I could care les how the winner is determined, whether it be by kills, wins, money, score, hell, even assists. They all amount to close to the same thing, really. It’s pretty tough to win rounds without getting lots of kills, and it’s pretty tough to get lots of money without winning a round or two or getting a kill or two, and it’s tough to get score without killing or winning, and if you’re getting lots of assists, I’ll bet you’re getting kills and money and wins too. 😉

Point is: It changes the strategy a bit, maybe, but it’s still the same game, and a fun one. I’d say change the winning criteria monthly to keep it fun! 😀
    (That wasn’t meant sarcastically, I don’t expect that to happen, but it would keep things interesting;))

cbx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.