This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Spectrum 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ve had this idea floating around for a while:

It would be nice if I could have my son play online once in a while with other kids around his age. (He’s 10)

He loves the game, but I, being the bastage I am, won’t let him play games online yet. It’s a shame he can’t play with other kids.

Here’s the idea: Pick a night on occasion for “kids night”, and in advance, people can ask me if their children or other young ones can play. Assuming the request is from a person I know well enough, I give them the password for the server, and at the predetermined time, we have a ScorchedKids game. 🙂

I would be on hand, and watching, to ensure that all is good, and would also have to set out some “rules” first (no “game rules”, just the normal “be nice, don’t swear” kind of stuff). Anyone bending the rules would be promptly warned, anyone breaking them would be promptly kicked. I’m thinking I would let any parents be an “admin” in the game, if they so desire.

Anyway – I’m not worried about details right now, but simply looking to see if there’s anyone else interested in the idea. It would be great to let my son play online once in a while with others around his age.

cbx

HWB
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

He loves the game, but I, being the bastage I am, won’t let him play games online yet. It’s a shame he can’t play with other kids.

You are not the only bastage.

I think it is a profound idea. Both of my kids love playing. The oldest is 7. I don’t think they are old enuf to play any serious 10 year old gamers. They just love watching the hornets nest (they call them the bees). And a good DH or even a selfkill is fine with them.

But the idea is great. Hopefully some more bastages will pick up on the idea. Scavenger would be nice for them. No buying and gets them used to baby missiles. The setting should be large explosion type though.

I am not saying that scav. is the only way to go. Just that the buying should be kept to a mininum. Maybe they start with a weapon pack. Or buy a weapon pack.

mandy
    Participant

i believe its a wonderful idea. even that i have no kids on my own.

pastor of muppets let his daughter play with us once. she is younger then 10, she is 6 as far as i remember correct and i believe she had lots of fun.

so i personally believe its a great idea 😉

mandy

SHACK
    Participant

Are there any word filters for scorch servers or a Word transform? That would be a good thing to have for a kid freindly server.

BOY
    Participant

my kids are too little… but I could play!

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

my kids are too little… but I could play!

No. 😛

I’ve actually been thinking of making a mod for this – it would be fun! Maybe I should have written down all those times my kids said “It would be cool if….” 😉

Thanks to recent additions to the game, we could possibly have different tanks for different ages – maybe use different tank categories for different ages. Hmm, a “Wee Scorcher” group, a “KinderScorcher” group, and a “BigScorcher” group, the latter starting with 100 health, the younger with 125, the youngest with 150 (or something like that).

Also, someone had a good idea (Bob): Food Fight! 😉

@shack wrote:

Are there any word filters for scorch servers or a Word transform? That would be a good thing to have for a kid freindly server.

Yes, there is provision for a “bad words” filter, which will replace bad words with “****”

@A bastage, of the heavy wooden type wrote:

I think it is a profound idea. Both of my kids love playing. The oldest is 7. I don’t think they are old enuf to play any serious 10 year old gamers. They just love watching the hornets nest (they call them the bees). And a good DH or even a selfkill is fine with them.

I think we can find a way to balance it out, at least some, so that the younger ones could have fun as much as the older ones. Perhaps I could even have people let me know in advance what the young scorcher’s name and favourite tank is, and I could make a custom one with their name on it – maybe the youngest ones could get a free hornet’s nest or something. 😉

And I was thinking the same about using Scavenger (or similar), because, like you said, no buying simplifies it. I could also add some more “fun” targets too. Imagine having a piniata (sp?) hanging over the map? 😀

Deathstryker
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea too as mostly adults take up the servers.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Give a lot of money 😉 . And no shields!!!! 8) 8)

Willis
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

being the bastage I am, won’t let him play games online yet.

Thank you! Seriously that’s the best parenting step I’ve ever heard. And I’m only 21 (22 in 18 days).

I’m a firm beliver in that a person should be able to say things (to a degree, mind you..) and yet kids shouldn’t have to read that stuff. So that combines to the simple rule:

Kids shouldn’t play games unless mature enough to read it.

The idea is nice, hopefully you can find a good crowd to do it with.

-Willis

cbx550f
    Participant

Thanks Willis – and I hope we can pull it off too. 🙂

Sondra
    Participant

Hmmm I am only 5 years old and I would like to play Cb…

Seriously it’s a great idea you had go ahead hun 😛

Deathstryker
    Participant

@willis wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

being the bastage I am, won’t let him play games online yet.

Thank you! Seriously that’s the best parenting step I’ve ever heard. And I’m only 21 (22 in 18 days).

I’m a firm beliver in that a person should be able to say things (to a degree, mind you..) and yet kids shouldn’t have to read that stuff. So that combines to the simple rule:

Kids shouldn’t play games unless mature enough to read it.

The idea is nice, hopefully you can find a good crowd to do it with.

-Willis

22 in 18 days?… I’m 22 in 10 days… Just barely older.

Ebonite
    Participant

pffft

31, 12 days ago. bleah, I’m gonna take my teeth out and go to bed…

Outer
    Participant

Altough i dont have any kids, i would love to see some of my little cousins playing Scorched. They are quite interested and enjoy watching me play. Let’s do this. 😀

Deathstryker
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

pffft

31, 12 days ago. bleah, I’m gonna take my teeth out and go to bed…

happy b-day Ebo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.