This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

yeah, looks intriquing. also makes me laugh becaue the ocean is so pretty and I usually have to have the water turned off, so sad so sad!

I tried the beta server, had a hard time killing that bot with varible wind. I failed to kill him in six minutes and notices perhaps a little issue – not really bug. I landed my shot a mere second after round ended, but tank dissapeared. If the round timer ends, and your prjectile is in flight, the kill does not count. I think this will be a sore point for people if they are working really hard (like 6 minutes) that if they can fire the shot in the time allowed, the kill should count. 😛

It looks like the new version speeds things projectiles up even beyond 2X speed. I wasn’t expecting such a change, but it all looks smoother that way, much more enjoyable. Fabulous! 😀

Its almost wierd since we’ve played for so long at slower speed. Out of curiosity, what is the speed compared to before??

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yes, as soon as the timer expires or the round is won in anyway the tanks all disapear.

The projectiles are aprox 2.5x faster (2.666666x).

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Just a heads up people like me who lag a lot and get kicked a lot will find absolutely no enjoyment of the new version. I was able to mess around with the beta a bit this morining and ventured on-line. More frustrating than anything I have ever tried to do.

I also noticed that it moves pretty far away from the “original” scorched earth which is what attracted me to this game. It feels more like a mod than the scorched earth I fell in love with.

Thrax
    Participant

@pastor of muppets wrote:

Just a heads up people like me who lag a lot and get kicked a
    lot will find absolutely no enjoyment of the new version. I was able to mess
    around with the beta a bit this morining and ventured on-line. More frustrating
    than anything I have ever tried to do.

I also noticed that it moves pretty far away from the “original” scorched earth
    which is what attracted me to this game. It feels more like a mod than the
    scorched earth I fell in love with.

Well for starters, it was a mod.. Apoc. And i believe they have that
    server cranked up to the fastest play-style there is.

Next time, You should try the Default-mod server i have open. It’s settings
    are timed a bit more like the original, with the option to be faster only if
    you feel like it. But still being the round-robin Turns method if each player
    take’s time to log in thier shot.

Gavin’s new play-modes allow for both camp’s to get thier way.
    Peaceful, or Frenzy.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Just a heads up people like me who lag a lot and get kicked a lot will find absolutely no enjoyment of the new version.

the point of beta releases is to have people test and report problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

how is that kind of post helpful in the news forum?!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

Just a heads up people like me who lag a lot and get kicked a lot will find absolutely no enjoyment of the new version.

the point of beta releases is to have people test and report problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

how is that kind of post helpful in the news forum?!

How is that helpful? shoulda been Private messaged!!

(doing this as a joke, i realize the Irony) :laughing:

Cheers! 😀

Kanga

P.S- i noticed some glitching of flames when theyre sped up, the projectiles seem to freeze and flames dissapear for a second.

BOY
    Participant

Hey, look!! Pom is driving off that cliff backwards. HEY POM, STOOOOP.

OMG.

(I couldn’t resist)

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Odd I don’t remember making that post.

Could have been lack sleep combined with lag frustration and beer…I doubt it was the beer though. 🙂

imported_gcamp
    Participant

What kind of ping times do you get on the server and what choke do you get?

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Ping 133ms. How do I find choke?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Ping 133ms. How do I find choke?

Gives POM a 1v1 tuition on choking (and not the snake or some weird crap like that) 😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@tanksnipe wrote:

Edit: When firing a shot on your test server it doesn’t shoot as soon as I fire it as it did when I played the modes in a local game. Is this the intended behavior?

To a certain extent. Since the engine is now operating like an RTS all clients and the server are locked stepped (they all perform operations at exactly the same time). To coordinate this there is a certain amount of leeway to when things happen to ensure that slower clients aren’t lagged out by much faster connections/clients. However this leeway should never be too intrusive, currently the delay cannot go over 1 second (I guess we can tune this).

Here’s a picture of the in game performance window (you can access this by hovering over the graph icon top right of the screen). You’ll see theres 4 new items on it.
    1) Server ahead by, this is how far out you and the server’s time is. Generaly this should be zero.
    2) Server Round Trip Time (ping), how long it takes for the server to recieve and process your responses from you and react to them. Note: this includes server response time so isn’t the network latency, although that is a part of it.
    3) Server simulation step, this is how long the server will wait for each message from clients. Or put another way this is how long it will take to see the result of an action you make. This is generaly the slowest ping time of all clients + 10 ms (capped at 1 second).
    4) Server choke, if you are lagging the simulation may be paused while you wait for updates from the server (choke). Choke is a bad thing and generally indicates an issue (unless its shortly after initial level creation).

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

another screenshot video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhKP-ihqw80
    and a kind of HD 800×600 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc9uHrMAvX0&fmt=22

this one gives a better idea of some of the changes in the beta. (a few ai’s fighting in that new turnfree mode)

quick request/suggestion:
    is there some way the ai weapon choices could be made a bit more random? this probably wasnt a fair test because they were all cyborgs and i had it set to give all weapons, but they seem to go for a heavy shield and dh every time.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Lap I can’t get the link to work keeps telling me youtube not available but youtube works fine outside of your link.

I played a couple of games lag free but recently played one where I lagged. In the game where I lagged server round trip hovered around .29 and choke was average about 5% then out of nowhere round trip would go to 5 or 6 then count down slowly and choke would go to 100% sometimes I was kicked sometimes things caught up.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Odd there’s no active kicking now, regardless of how far the client is behind. Its sounding more and more like a problem with the code or your link.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.