This topic contains 60 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

SabinoSteve
    Participant

it might be just me but in the last month approx scorched has changed for the worst

i no longer find main server any fun yeah the people have changed thats life but a lot of people have been alienated for having a laugh and enjoying themselves

me personaly i would rather play other servers now and will on ly go to main when my true friends are there

everythin g seems to have become very political and just a question but i rarely see any admins playing, i would have though that being an admin your there to supervise things enjoy the game not just chat on forums you should all be out there experianceing the game and problems and not just talking about it

JiNx

comedown
    Participant

@Sabino/Steve wrote:

it might be just me but in the last month approx scorched has changed for the worst

i no longer find main server any fun yeah the people have changed

That started happening a lot longer than a month ago. ](*,)

cbx550f
    Participant

@Sabino/Steve wrote:

…being an admin your there to supervise things enjoy the game not just chat on forums you should all be out there experianceing the game and problems and not just talking about it

JiNx

I’ll drink to that!

I was thinking earlier how silly it is how we sometimes spend so much more time talking about the game than playing it.

I cannot agree more, Jinx – the game is meant to be PLAYED. Let’s play it. If you find you spend more time on the forum than the game, I think there’s something amiss.

Having said that, I need to go watch the rest of the Oiler’s game. lol

Yours truly,

cbx, the hypocrit 😐

Deathstryker
    Participant

I’m just trying to keep Gavin on his feet.

barnabas
    Participant

Actually, Jinx, I agree with you, and I think that you can find that the timing pretty much lines up with when the beginner’s stats were hidden. That forced more people to main and now the people who just beat up on noobs and were generally unpleasant to play with are now coming to main to be unpleasant.

Everything seemed to be better the way things were end of last year when I first started playing.

I say let’s go back to the way things were. I rarely heard complains from noobs about beginner’s server. But now there are lots of complaints about both beginner’s AND main.

I say bring back the beginner’s stats so that babypros can have their fun and main can once again be a place of enjoyment and fun.

-barny

BOY
    Participant

I think barnys solution is a step back but I agree, there is some sort of “rift” that needs to be fixed

my suggestion amongs admins was to get rid of the beginners server or at least rename it. Its not a beginners server anymore. Having said that, there is plenty of room to play mods and other things, so go ahead and explore 😛

I have bounced this around the admins with little success, and considered a poll… but …. eh

what if the bots server was the teams server… and there was no beginners server, there would be plenty of family action all on one main server again.

I’ll keep this short, I dont exactly know how its “political” but I can say that I do wish i had more time to play, unfortunately, i can only post alot at work (I should’t though)

SPYRER
    Participant

Simply put

No stats on beginners

Stats on Main

Eliminate the Poll sections on the Forum unless the game creator needs one

if you have a complaint or want to see where this got started do a search on the forums.

See how many times the same thing has been brought up

See how many times the same question has been brought up (even though it may be worded in a different way)

Follow a post or someone that has been posting and read or of his/her post, then compare how effective it is/was

These comments do not apply to the Mods and Modeling section, and I have no idea if it applies to the Admin section

Hopefully the next version will change the group dynamics

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

what if the bots server was the teams server… and there was no beginners server, there would be plenty of family action all on one main server again.

I like that idea the new players would still have to get 50 kills for main and i wouldnt mind playing on the beginers server as much.

barnabas
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I think barnys solution is a step back but I agree, there is some sort of “rift” that needs to be fixed

I think it’s a step back too. But it’s back then that the game was more fun.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@barnabas wrote:

@boy wrote:

I think it’s a step back too. But it’s back then that the game was more fun.

Well, we can try that if you want. It is a simple change after all (1 db setting).

BOY
    Participant

ok, so the limit has isolated the riff raff to Beginners, the stats removal has spread the trouble around a bit. going back to no limits would be just fine, It will simply spread the trouble around nice and evenly. I used to think that there was a way to make a nice online Training/tutorial server, but I see now that its not really practical. best to do that offline i guess.

I guess I’d support any idea that is not a half measure.

hobbesme
    Participant

In theory, a Beginner’s server is a very useful arena for new players.

Playing offline does NOT teach all aspects of the game. Players can learn SOME of the game’s mechanisms offline, but most players will not likely discover many other features. Also, overall strategy can only be taught by seeing other human players play, not just dumb bots.

New players SHOULD have the opportunity to play online against other humans to interactively learn about the game but should also be protected from idiots whose only goal is to win.

As I see it, the current problem with the servers, & Beginners in particular, is that new players cannot adequately learn when more experienced players dominate the game, whether because experienced players have no players to play against in other servers or because these experienced players are losers who just like to win against less-experienced players.

Many solutions were debated last year. As an exercise for the reader, I will revisit some of last year’s proposals & add some of my own. (The exercise is that the reader must wade through my pontific diatribe. :))

One solution to this problem is to limit the Beginners server to true beginners (i.e. less than some threshold of kills, 100?, 150?) AND create a new server perhaps with bots but without stats.

This prevents more experienced players from playing in the Beginner server indefinitely crushing all the new players AND allows for some online gameplay with bots when no players are available in the Main server until other players show up.

Another solution is to allow a few bots in the Main server until other players arrive. For those of you who may object because stat whores could take advantage of playing against the bots, then Gavin could include new code that disables stat logging while playing against bots (configurable of course :)).

Last year DeVice suggested disabling stats for players with kills greater than a certain threshold. But I still don’t think that would totally get rid of losers who just to like to bully inexperienced players.

But what if Gavin included new code that allowed players with kills greater than a certain threshold to only make a move every other move? New players with kills less than this threshold could move &/or fire every move, but experienced players could move only on even shots (i.e. they don’t even move first every round, only on 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc. moves).

The only problem with some of these ideas is that players can reset their identities thus allowing them to return to beginner-level servers.

So one solution is an expansion of BOY’s bot targeting idea. Rewrite bot code so that bots target the leader(s) & super-aggressively target the leader(s) if the leader(s) have greater than a certain threshold of kills.

This solution is independent of rank & therefore can’t be circumvented by reseting player stat IDs. AND it would be great payback for losers that like to bully new players. I would LOVE to see a bully player suddenly find all the bots aggressively targeting him! 🙂 hehe

barnabas
    Participant

that’s a great idea, the bot targeting thing. Then the babypros will get creamed if they come back, and if real pros want to play on beginner’s then they are doing so to help out noobs. If there’s no one on main, then pros can just go to a mod server; there’s plenty nowadays.

cbx550f
    Participant

I really like the “bastage bots” idea, Hobbes/Boy. I only would add that it should be able to target people with a kills ratio of x as comapered to other’s kills.

Really, I long for the days when we had newbs in the “normal stats server”. I miss seeing the good new peeps playing, and having fun talking to them, giving them tips (if they deserved it ;)) etc.. But, I know, that also opens the door wide….
    But then, I’m a guy who likes to see the door open.
    See sig.

cbx

P.S. I’m WAITING for someone to join the game. 😛

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I really like the “bastage bots” idea, Hobbes/Boy. I only would add that it should be able to target people with a kills ratio of x as comapered to other’s kills.

No, a ratio would NOT be good.

What ratio is best? 2x? 3x? If so low, then bots would be super aggressive & target the first player(s) to get 2 or 3 kills compared to players with 0/1 kills. (I’m even ignoring the divide by 0 equals inifinity kill ratio! :))

A high ratio of 6x or more just delays the punitive retribution of the bots on the lead bullies allowing them to gain a big lead without too much retribution.

And a ratio of 4x or 5x wouldn’t be good either since again the first person with 4 or 5 kills may be majorly targeted but only until the other players catch up by 1 or 2 kills. Then the leader(s) are back to bastaging the less-experienced players until the players gain 1 or 2 more kills.

So too low of a ratio is super aggressive without merit, too high a ratio is too little too late, & a ratio in the middle oscillates back & forth between these two cases.

And although a threshold is better, a delta threshold is best.

If lead player(s) have X number of kills more than the the average number of kills (of human players only?), then let the bots do their thing against the leaders.

Setting X to be somewhere between 5-7 should be sufficient to truly distinguish the leaders & then allow the bots to concentrate on them, hopefully allowing less-experienced players a chance to catch up. This delta wouldn’t therefore be punitive too early but would also continue to be punitive until the average number of kills by all (human?) players rises.

Therefore as shown, this solution ideally requires more Integral scaling than Proportional scaling (for you closed-loop PID nerds out there).

@cbx550f wrote:

Really, I long for the days when we had newbs in the “normal stats server”. I miss seeing the good new peeps playing, and having fun talking to them, giving them tips (if they deserved it ;)) etc.

Yep I missed helping noobs too.

@cbx550f wrote:

P.S. I’m WAITING for someone to join the game.

No you aren’t. I just checked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.