This topic contains 102 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DireWolf 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Nice. I like that last one.

Once we’re done, we must compile a proper page of everyone’s work.

I tread a fine line. This is a collaborative effort, but if I’m too accommodating, we’ll end up with a hotchpotch of conflicting styles, which’d look awful, and would be irresponsible on my part. Please don’t be insulted if your creations don’t get used. I promise it’s not wasted effort.

We’re sticking with the white 3D text with a red button behind it for now. If Gavin wants to change it later, it’s easy to.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

no problem, I usually just throw ideas I have out there for everyone to enjoy, might come in handy someday. 😀

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

another quick go this morning, now that everything else is coming together.

is a shield too cliched?
    [attachment=1:2sw9sv80]shieldsconcept.jpg[/attachment:2sw9sv80]
    i dont know. it’s not too far a jump from a shield to a ‘crest’, and then where would we be? i dont think we want that, do we?

[attachment=5:2sw9sv80]shield1.png[/attachment:2sw9sv80]
    [attachment=4:2sw9sv80]shield2.png[/attachment:2sw9sv80]
    [attachment=3:2sw9sv80]shield0_alpha.png[/attachment:2sw9sv80]
    [attachment=2:2sw9sv80]shield0_alpha_shot.png[/attachment:2sw9sv80]

here’s a blank one to make it easier if anyone else wants yet another go:
    [attachment=0:2sw9sv80]blankbanner.png[/attachment:2sw9sv80]

ps:
    gavin, i still prefer the thicker border.

Tom.K
    Participant

Shield looks kinda strange, and though…

*I thought this thread was 1 month ago, sorry about deleted post.*
    Just my 2c:

naka
    Participant

What does ‘crest’ exactly mean?

Usually military give a badges/signs for driving Aircrafts, vehicles…. tanks too.
    They look like 2 wings spreading on each side.

something like this:
    http://www.turtletrack.org/Issues02/Co02092002/Art/Wings_logo.jpg

The image i found is just for showing the shape…idea… Not exactly that.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@wikipedia wrote:

The word crest is often mistakenly applied to a coat of arms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms

it’s been done to death, though. and i think too much ‘another military game to avoid’ would be a mistake. just my opinion. war games arent cool. war isnt cool, at all. no one likes war. blowing sh*t up is cool, and scorched 3d is cool – too cool for a ‘crest’ (/coat of arms) etc, i say.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

I was thinking something like a red molten earth.. or some type of orb.

just my 2c

editt* inclucec a visual aid 🙂 rough concept from some google images i spliced
    Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

that’s nice.

one more:
    (i dont want to go down the call of duty route, as i said, but just to demo and share)
    [attachment=1:37u3rlzb]militarystyle.jpg[/attachment:37u3rlzb]
    [attachment=0:37u3rlzb]shield3.png[/attachment:37u3rlzb]

Tom.K
    Participant

It looks really empty for me. The logo which is currently used is much better than that one. The only thing you could try is to enlarge tank or something. Maybe put the text on top of shield?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

thanks. yeap, a larger tank could work.

and thanks for the another fine effort above. as with most of the others, as a standalone design on a site of its own, it’d probably look ok with some tweaking. but as an overlay for the current banner, it looks awful. (forgive me for being so frank : ). i need the same frank opinions from others on everything else, so… anyone… dont be afraid to be critical at this stage.

dont be put off. sooner or later someone will post something inspired and perfect. keep in mind with anything 3d that the light source is top-rightish, and we dont want anything too ‘instant photoshop effects’, if you know what i mean by that. also, if we’re to keep the current background scenes for a while, one being orange, any orange logo has to work with each. it’s also important that anything we use is original, or at least public domain for photos, and we mustnt step on anyone’s toes, especially the big games.
    [attachment=0:3l6suh7k]bannerdesigns.jpg[/attachment:3l6suh7k]

ArmorWraith
    Participant

I was actually hoping you would try a molten shield with that nice metal border. 🙂 The above was just a preliminary idea, put together in a couple minutes. It helps illustrate the feeling I would like to see, pure scorched earth. 🙂

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

if we can get a shape decided, i can probably put something together with a bit of a glass bevel and some glossy animated fire. could be nice. i think what we need first though, is a real logo thatll be easily recognisable as the same thing if it were plain black on white, say? i do like the glass fire bubble.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Hmm a shape.. What about some sort of burning map?(old style maps) Dunno.. late at night and throwing it out there aaha.

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

another go since you posted:
    [attachment=0:1azmuivj]bannerdesigns2.jpg[/attachment:1azmuivj]
    i think im liking the idea of a logo in the middle and 3 links either side.

…those yellow tones clash with the purplish grey used in the metal textures.

is that right, or did i make that up? a logo colour clash bad may not be bad – it’d certainly stand out

ps:
    the white text there is a manual trace of the current fire logo made into a font. it was rough – dug it out from my archives.

naka
    Participant

Speaking of military sense.. I dont think that the way which most of the commercial games (mohaа,callof duty..etc.) present military sense&feeling is the correct way for scorched.

They show military sense&feeeling by using rough shapes… dark colors.. old ww2 stuff…. etc… as lappy says ‘war is not cool’

military sense&feelings doesnt always need ‘rough stuff’. military use a lot of ornaments, leafs, banners…. stuff like that.

I think that a good designed and rich ‘Coat of arms’ with a slight military sense will be far more better than the plain shield. At least that shield should be decorated a bit more.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.