This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 12 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

MX Maximus
    Participant

A way to help for the modem users

MX Maximus
    Participant

It would be a great idea to make patches for scorched. Don’t you think? The modem users could get the game updated faster. 😉

I have a modem too! It’s really expensive and slow. I saw the pics about V 38 but I can’t afford to download 24 megs. Is there a way to help me?

hobbesme
    Participant

@MX Maximus wrote:

I have a modem … but I can’t afford to download 24 megs. Is there a way to help me?

Can you use a download manager so you could download the game over multiple online sessions?

I’ve also suggested downloads via bit torrent servers/clients.

Are these practical?

MX Maximus
    Participant

I use flashget. It has more than five multiple online download places, but it’s still slow. 😥

Willis
    Participant

Maximus if anything try this classic aproach..

Connect To Internet
    Start Download
    Go To Bed For Night

hobbesme
    Participant

@MX Maximus wrote:

It’s really expensive and slow.

@willis wrote:

Connect To Internet
    Start Download
    Go To Bed For Night

Willis, I would bet MXM’s main complaint is the expense. Remember, many dial-up ISP’s charge per the amount of time used per month.

Even at a perfect 56Kb/s speed, a 25MB download would take at least

25MB / 56Kb/s > 1.25 hours

But more than likely, much longer & possibly much more costly.

Thank goodness for unrated, broadband bandwidth. Say “NO!” to IPv6! 🙂

MX Maximus
    Participant

Oh… I forgot. I use only the half of the bandwith. (26kb/s:!:) And it’s still a rare speed. My brother is useing it too on the other computer, and of corse he wants to download if I do. So the speed is way too low! Plus, if I download somethin’, I can’t do anithin’ else on the net, neither my brother. 😥

The last think I can do, is to ask my friend, who has good cabel net, to download it for me. But a patch could be still useful. 🙄

You know in Hungary the cabel net is extremely expensive. We cannot afford it. Still, this slow modem is much better than nothin’. Right? 🙂

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

awww man that sucks

It almost makes you wish scorched was sold in the stores

my own oppinion:

I think its almost at that level of quality anyways
    Id gladly pay 20 bucks or so for it now
    and beleive me when I say:

I have a closet full of old crappy less fun games
    I have made god only knows how many people rich on to prove it

but all I can say to your problem for now is to maybe download
    small chunks here and there and eventually you will have 38
    use a free fast download manager like leechget and your all set.

hoopy frood
    Participant

Maybe gavin could start selling hard copies on disk and just snail mail if the need is there.
    Bit of profit for his trouble and problem solved.

Hoopy

MX Maximus
    Participant

Don’t worry. I will have the game today cuz my friend will bring it for me. But it’s a bit annoing that I have to wait for my friend to have the game. And! I was lucky that I’ll have the game that quickly! Bah… Ce la vie!

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Cool, maximus enjoy.

I will have a look at patches (although no promises ;)). The main reason I have been avoiding them is just the extra support cost. It involves writting the extra installer, testing, creating 37->38, 37.1->38, etc etc

I have also considered a CD by post option, I guess I could do that and just charge enough to cover the posting + blank CD.

MX Maximus
    Participant

Wow man! Thanks for the patch! I’m downloading it. The funny part of the patch is that, since January I have cable net. But I wasn’t the only one who has modem net. So it’ll still be useful. I kneel down and bow my haed before the creators! 😀

Deathstryker
    Participant

Yeah I have dial-up but mine is unlimited so I’m constantly on. The patch was quite welcome for me.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

No worries, glad to help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.