This topic contains 91 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Princey 10 years ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

I was kinda thinking. For a non commercial game to get that many downloads is pretty amazing. Mainly because there isn’t realy much marketing done for it.

I’m not realy sure about the legal aspects of it (the game isn’t called scorched earth 3d, just scorched 3d, I dont *think* it infringes on anything?) but has anyone ever thought about setting up some scorched3d um… stuff? Like, there are companies that will make shirts / cups / buttons / mousepads / whatever per sale (and swipe some $$$ off the top). So there isn’t any real money layout up front. I know of a few companies because some musician friends of mine use a few of them. Of course, all the money would go straight to gavin, but has this ever been brought up before?

I imagine most people that play long enough have at least donated a few bills, but I for one would totaly geek out and buy a shirt or mousepad or something. If this has come up before, well, I didn’t acualy look and see if it ever did hehe.

Anyway, Gavin, would that be legal? I am sure we could all chip in some graphic stuff or have a contest or something or whatever. I just know from alot of people who spend huge amounts of time writing software that tons of people enjoy for free, well, I’ll bet all 1.5 million people that downloaded it so far didn’t donate a dollar 🙂

Either way, if its a bad idea just say so, I have tons of bad ideas. If not, I can talk to some friends and figure out exactly what is involved and the best way to get it done. Anyway. I’m gonna go blow something up.

Bobirov
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

I’m not realy sure about the legal aspects of it (the game isn’t called scorched earth 3d, just scorched 3d, I dont *think* it infringes on anything?) but has anyone ever thought about setting up some scorched3d um… stuff? Like, there are companies that will make shirts / cups / buttons / mousepads / whatever per sale (and swipe some $$$ off the top). So there isn’t any real money layout up front. I know of a few companies because some musician friends of mine use a few of them. Of course, all the money would go straight to gavin, but has this ever been brought up before?

Funny, I never even thought about this. But I would SO be all over a S3D T-Shirt or mousepad. 🙂

BOY
    Participant

I’m absolutely in on this!

Deathstryker
    Participant

Holy crap. An S3D t-shirt would be awesome.

BOY
    Participant

I’ve honestly thought of this before, but I had second thoughts about how many people would really want them. 😕

InductiveOne
    Participant

Yeah, the key is to use a company that makes the stuff to order. It means they get a decent chunk of the sales but it also means you dont have to lay out cash for a large run of stuff and have to try to sell it all. Either way, kinda want to see what Gavin has to say about it. It would be pretty easy to do though.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I’ve honestly thought of this before, but I had second thoughts about how many people would really want them. 😕

Me too, also we would need a good high rez logo (or other such image).

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@boy wrote:

Ya, I was thinking maybe a contest for who can come up with the best design for the T-Shirt or something like that might be in order. Winner gets a free one and the honor of having his/her design on the shirt. 🙂

BOY
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

@boy wrote:

Ya, I was thinking maybe a contest for who can come up with the best design for the T-Shirt or something like that might be in order. Winner gets a free one and the honor of having his/her design on the shirt. 🙂

such as Deathstrykers sig?

I’m sure a wolf I know would love to give it a go 😀

InductiveOne
    Participant

Yeah, I think it would be best (and most fun) to have a contest to see who can come up with the best designs. And realy, there could be more then one. Let me talk to some friends that have more experience dealing with this kind of thing, I will see what acualy needs to be done.

Sorry for hijacking this thread by the way :/

Deathstryker
    Participant

I split the topic off to a new one. Hope there’s no problem in doing so.

@boy wrote:

such as Deathstrykers sig?

My sig was embarrassingly simple to do :oops:. I was still proud of the result though so I kept it regardless.

SHACK
    Participant

try this idea on for size.

I do like the text that Deathstryker has.

BOY
    Participant

yes, I actually like Deathsrykers letters for a Tshirt because the squigly-ness makes it hard to read at first and people would look twice and then really wonder 😛

cbx550f
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

I split the topic off to a new one. Hope there’s no problem in doing so.

err, what topic, where? lol

This is a great idea – I’ve been thinking alot about a hi-res logo – whether it be an improved resolution of the existing one, or a new one, I dunno.

It’s obviously a popular idea, so let’s just get started! 😀
    I’d say have a contest, run it for a month, and the winner gets a free T-Shirt and/or hat. Let people make new ones, or duplicate the old, whatever, decide from the results? The winner could maybe be chosen by the following way: Gavin could pick a “top 4” or something, then members vote on that?
    Everyone gets a say that way, but if it’s just Gav’s choice, or just player’s choice, that’d work too. 😉

Well, so long as the following didn’t happen:@bobirov wrote:

I would SO be all over a S3D T-Shirt or mousepad.

If Bob is all over it, I want NOTHING to do with said shirt or mousepad. 😛

InductiveOne
    Participant

Ok ok, but if you make that rule can we ban this pic too?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.