This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ArmorWraith 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

we need more non-repeating scorch textures. y’all know what i mean – the textures that appear when you destroy landscape. those sorts of textures are really difficult to do if they have any detail. repeating tiled textures that dont look like they repeat.
    [attachment=0:15u9ph4i]scorch.png[/attachment:15u9ph4i]
    a challenge, maybe?

i think the tiled surround textures need the same treatment. example – have a go on ‘arizona’ in the none mod, turn off water and destroy a mountain.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Ill get back to you with a texture mod.

Armor

Ok back, were you thinking something along theese lines?

Armor

EDIT3***

Final Version

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Shadows settings play a large role in how bright textures are, which is why some people think some of my textures are too bright. Also monitor variants need to be considered.

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

does it make sense to use fractal style repeatables rather than shaped seamless? (if you know what i mean by that – im struggling to think of a better way to explain)

i mean, for scorch mark textures, less obvious repeats probably mean giving something up for single hits from a missile.
    eg a sort of star-like mark:

maybe there’s a clever way to have the best of both. i cant think of one : )

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Mmm.. well, I try to add abit of detail into the fractal ones, its the best I can do without showing overly obvious repeats. I think an overlayed custom blast mark with transparency would be a better option paired with a fractal scorch tex.

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

Ok back, were you thinking something along theese lines?

Armor

EDIT3***

Final Version

sorry, i should have replied.

that’s a nice texture. tiled up after a deaths head, it still looks a bit like some 90’s windows desktop wallpaper to my eye. (not that there isnt some appeal in that).
    [attachment=0:2zi1kzl9]repeats.jpg[/attachment:2zi1kzl9]
    i cant offer any better. solid colours work well.

maybe there’s a way to mix up a range of scorch mark textures with different effects per bomblet, rather than trying to fake a sort of non-uniform coverage with a single tiled texture. id make a feature request, but it seems a bit vague.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

its quite easy actually, just make a scorch map 🙂 Simialr to texture map, except its applied like usual 😀 One big map with varying explosion marks/rubble/deform on it. 🙂

armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

nice idea. gradually revealing a full destroyed landscape texture as you go. maybe there are several, switching to orange lava and revealing bones further down.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

nice idea. gradually revealing a full destroyed landscape texture as you go. maybe there are several, switching to orange lava and revealing bones further down.

Could be cool, especially for winter maps, imagine revealing model skeletons in a snowy map or buried tanks in a desert one, though the culling would ruin the effect..

Armor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.