This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  doom 10 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

doom
    Participant

I would like to know why everyone one this forum treats me like crap. I would also like to know why noone likes a group mod project.

I will not except peoples rudeness anymore. several of you owe me an appology.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Have you ever heard of the saying: “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” ?

Ebonite
    Participant

Also, “You reap what you sow.”
    Plus, “What goes around, comes around.”
    And, “You made your bed. Now you gotta sleep in it.”

Deathbal
    Participant

@doom wrote:

I would like to know why everyone one this forum treats me like crap. I would also like to know why noone likes a group mod project.

I was wondering why you got those two responses. Didn’t take me long to find out.

cbx550f
    Participant

@doom wrote:

To be as plainly truthful as possible, I have two points:
    1. You have a habit (although it seems to be improving quite alot!) of making posts and comments that are not descriptive enough. Providing enough information to give people conext, along with being verbose enough to ensure that people know what you mean can go a long way. (Like I said, this has been improving! :))

2. People do like the idea of a group mod project, but it just doesn’t seem to work out most times. Case in point, it seems to me that when Bobirov started the OpScorched project, he and I were going to work together on it. Well, we have, but only a little bit – it’s been virtually all him. It’s not that we cannot work together – in fact, I think we work well together, just that our interests and our time never seemed to coincide such that we got an awful lot done together. (Well, that, and I have the attention span of a fruitfly! lol)

Keep in mind that the number of people who have really done any modding work is quite small (but increasing, and that’s good news!). I’ve thought about offering a bit of help, but I simply do not have the time. I have my own mods, and ideas for more, that I haven’t touched in months….

Also, remember that modding is not “difficult” – to be sure, it’s easier for someone with a programming background, but it’s not only for “an elite few”. I know from reading the posts that you have done some…. and if you’ve done some, you can, in time, do anything.
    I may not be the best one to give advice on “how to get started”, since I’ve been involved a long time, but here I go anyway: Just start small! I’m willing to bet that every popular mod ever started by changing a single weapon into something new. Change one, change another, edit a map a bit, edit another a bit more…. it starts to build on itself! You may be surprised what you can learn and do if you just tackle it on elittle thing at a time…. feel free to ask questions (it may be unfortunate, but you’ll find that the more you know, the easier it is to be able to ask the right questions to get the answers/ideas that you need.

On another note – you have got some offers for help recently. 🙂
    Perhaps to try to get more help try being more specific. Just to pick a goofy weapon that I made, perhaps ask: I’d like to have a weapon sorta like a funky bomb, but not as big. I’m thinking of calling it a ‘Bag O’ Cowbells’ that when the bag hits the ground, a bunch of Cowbells appear clobbering anyone who is really close”.

A more specific request can go a long way – and you might also get a couple different ways to do a weapon that can lead to other weapons. 😉

Sorry for going on so long, but I’ll stop now. 😉

cbx

doom
    Participant

It’s ok. I just don’t like post bombardment that all disaggrees with me. It feels like an attack. but I would at least like to be treated as an equal, not as a noob.

as for the ‘help’ I’ve gotten, only thrax has given me help. the others all gave me lectures. and noone has asked to join.

and the specifics thing, I DO give specifics, but I get the usual NOTHING!

@ everyone else

I WILL NOT BE IGNORED! *deep breath*

please reread some of your posts to me, some of them seem awfully rude. and If I am BEING rude, tell me, because alot of the time, I don’t know it.

Chopper
    Participant

@doom wrote:

Pretty self-explanatory ……..why’d you go off on Thrax? He was helping you.

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@doom wrote:

To be as plainly truthful as possible, I have two points:
    1. You have a habit (although it seems to be improving quite alot!) of making posts and comments that are not descriptive enough. Providing enough information to give people conext, along with being verbose enough to ensure that people know what you mean can go a long way. (Like I said, this has been improving! :))

2. People do like the idea of a group mod project, but it just doesn’t seem to work out most times. Case in point, it seems to me that when Bobirov started the OpScorched project, he and I were going to work together on it. Well, we have, but only a little bit – it’s been virtually all him. It’s not that we cannot work together – in fact, I think we work well together, just that our interests and our time never seemed to coincide such that we got an awful lot done together. (Well, that, and I have the attention span of a fruitfly! lol)

Keep in mind that the number of people who have really done any modding work is quite small (but increasing, and that’s good news!). I’ve thought about offering a bit of help, but I simply do not have the time. I have my own mods, and ideas for more, that I haven’t touched in months….

Also, remember that modding is not “difficult” – to be sure, it’s easier for someone with a programming background, but it’s not only for “an elite few”. I know from reading the posts that you have done some…. and if you’ve done some, you can, in time, do anything.
    I may not be the best one to give advice on “how to get started”, since I’ve been involved a long time, but here I go anyway: Just start small! I’m willing to bet that every popular mod ever started by changing a single weapon into something new. Change one, change another, edit a map a bit, edit another a bit more…. it starts to build on itself! You may be surprised what you can learn and do if you just tackle it on elittle thing at a time…. feel free to ask questions (it may be unfortunate, but you’ll find that the more you know, the easier it is to be able to ask the right questions to get the answers/ideas that you need.

On another note – you have got some offers for help recently. 🙂
    Perhaps to try to get more help try being more specific. Just to pick a goofy weapon that I made, perhaps ask: I’d like to have a weapon sorta like a funky bomb, but not as big. I’m thinking of calling it a ‘Bag O’ Cowbells’ that when the bag hits the ground, a bunch of Cowbells appear clobbering anyone who is really close”.

A more specific request can go a long way – and you might also get a couple different ways to do a weapon that can lead to other weapons. 😉

Sorry for going on so long, but I’ll stop now. 😉

cbx

doom, it seems as like you don’t listen well sometimes. I think it is so important that you listen and respond to what cbx said, that I quoted his whole post so you can actually respond to it.

doom
    Participant

I DID read it, I just didn’t see the need to respond in a long post.

and about the post to thrax, I wasn’t directing it at him, though he HAS been mean to me in the past, It’s gone down.

I DO get what you’re saying about the learning to mod thing but, I just don’t have the time to make a mod on my own.

I’m also losing my confidence in this entire thing so, I’m going to scrap the project… I hope you’re happy with yourselves. I had an idea for a revolutionary mod, and you guys just trashed it… I feel worthless. 😥

The AI
    Participant

Doom, last time I checked, what everyone else thinks, is a useless pile of text, so instead of trashing your mod, if you are set on stopping modding scorched, make so others can work it. and if I have insulted you, I am sorry, if you want to continue with your mod, or modding in general restart with it, take it like writing, so what if you try again every day fresh, so still are doing something

doom
    Participant

I have so many description done already… I guess I’ll keep going.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.