This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DireWolf 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Picci
    Participant

Hey e1,
    i just bought this router:

http://www.nexths.it/v3/flypage.php?mv_arg=A02-RA141

and it seems to crash every 4 or 5 hours…
    with a p2p going or without… (if ares is dowloading stuff with lots of connections it seems the router seems to die more often,… but it died once when everything on ares was set to pause… hmmm)

when it crashed it won’t open up the http interface anymore or open any web page either…

to reset it i have to either unplug it or keep the reset button down and then re-insert all the isp info… which i don’t like to do πŸ˜›

I also host a mini web server on a pc for some friends, and the router crashing when i’m not home is messing up everything…

any ideas ?

thx.[/url]

cbx550f
    Participant

My only suggestion would be to exchange it – it could be a problem with the hardware. If that doesn’t do it, see if there are any firmware updates for that model.

hth

cbx

Picci
    Participant

hey,
    i tried and successfully updated the firmware… it’s running ok now…
    at least for the 3 hours it’s been on… (after how much time should i declare the “test passed” ? )

oh, btw, i limited the p2p to take up only 40KB/sec max of bandwidth… to see if this limit will make the router rest… bah, doesn’t seem logical to me though… isn’t dividing the connection the router’s job ??

thx cbx for the quick and effective response πŸ˜‰

Picci
    Participant

ahhhh

I tried leaving a p2p on full speed all night, 2 downloads at a time (so if 2 got stuck at least 1 would keep going … and that’s what happened). the next morning i got this problem:

the p2p was still happily on and downloading stuff, while the internet browsers wouldn’t show even1 page !!!

i tried 182.168.1.254 to open the router and everything seemed fine, the http interface loaded..etc…

but websites wouldn’t open.

i restarted the pc and everything works again,… but it’s not really normal to have to restart every morning,… :S

πŸ˜• ❓ ❓

cbx550f
    Participant

Well, it’s more normal to have to restart a PC once a day than restart a router numerous times a day. πŸ˜‰

I’ve seen similar things happen with a Linksys and/or D-Link router… I try to go to http://google.ca and it says “Connecting to…” forever.

I’d say give it a couple days to see if it’s consistent or not, then see about it.

Good to hear you got past the first prob. πŸ™‚

cbx

Picci
    Participant

same problem, but my computer was more honest about it and told me “Can not” connect to … for ever πŸ˜›

it’s working from last night now… the pages barely load…

result: i called the phone company and asked them what the * was wrong:

After 5 long minutes of waiting with the stupid music on:

“Hi this is *, how can i help you?”
    “Hi, my adsl is really slow, downloads go at 2kb/sec max and google.com opens up rarely”
    “Oh, really, we just got a message from the maintenance office saying that these days adsl connections might be slow because we are changing…. some kind of ### ( i have no idea what the’re changing) ###”
    “Ok, thx,”

*click*

“Damn phone companies, could they at least post that somewhere ? On their website for example ?… nooooooo, that would give’em a bad image….” bah

seems to work fine now, at 3kb/s…. i’m about to hook up my dialup 56k 😯

thx cbx for the help

Brain Damage
    Participant

let me guess, is your provider tiscali?

i have the exact same problem as yours: after a while, the line gets messed up, you can’t make any new connection, but the connections already opened works fine. (for exmaple if you’re in a game you won’t lose the connection to the server)

i am using P2P networks as well, my theory is that we’re encountering a P2P network filter (in the contract & therms of use there is nothing ,the forbids you to use P”P networks) or something very similar, yes i am forced to restart my router as well to bypass such problem.

off course, calling your ISP won’t produce anything positive.

all we can do is find a way how such filter detects p2p traffic and eventually get around it.

Picci
    Participant

ok…

telecom, and now the problem seems fixed, even though i woke up this morning and the browser is working fine, but the p2p isn’t downloading anything… <– (i put very very popular stuff there to test the downloading)

the router seems ok now, i don’t wanna restart it every f* day… the router is accessible via web browser…

the p2p doesn’t work, sigh*

BD, if u find out How the filter it works, plz let me know πŸ˜‰

oh, btw, tiscali and telecom use the same cables and phonelines and everything… so they might use the same filtering system….
    not sure…

thx

Crispy Critter
    Participant

I would recommend getting a router that can run DD-WRT, and then flashing it with, what else, DD-WRT. I’ve thrown large torrents at my Linksys WRT54G (a hardware version 2.0 “classic” unit – AVOID current hardware versions), and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

Note that if you go with Linksys, the current model to use is a WRT54GL.

Picci
    Participant

thx crispy,

btw, now everything seems fine, the router works, the website off of it works, everything works with the new firmware ! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

offtopic: how do i get a virtual folder on my server?
    cause i made an upload.php page, and a shared folder that i can access
    as serveradress/uploadtest, but it looks like an index and i can only access the files, not modify them without uploading a new version through upload.php…. do u get what i mean ? (i know it’s not clear πŸ™ )

oh, btw, i’ll be hosting a mod soon, is a slow pc good as just a server or do i need a fast one ? i won’t be running the game off of it, just the server side of the game….

thx !

jdog
    Participant

@picci wrote:

oh, btw, i’ll be hosting a mod soon, is a slow pc good as just a server or do i need a fast one ? i won’t be running the game off of it, just the server side of the game….

thx !

For hosting a server a slower pc will be just fine.

Picci
    Participant

stupid me,

i said “slow” but never said “how slow” πŸ˜›

by slow i meant:

Pentium 3 with 501MHz
    256mb Ram
    non 3d, 8mb video card

internet: standard 640kb/sec adsl, switching to 2mb/sec in a couple weeks, but the upload stays at 256kb/sec in both cases.

to host a 12 player server do u think it’s enough ? (btw, i would load on it xmas mod to start with i think, which is something like 3MB in the s3m package…

do u think this pc will do the job ?

PS there’s another computer, but it’s a P1 with 80mb of Ram, do you know something i can do with it other than to recycle it πŸ˜› ?

thx

jdog
    Participant

@picci wrote:

stupid me,

i said “slow” but never said “how slow” πŸ˜›

by slow i meant:

Pentium 3 with 501MHz
    256mb Ram
    non 3d, 8mb video card

internet: standard 640kb/sec adsl, switching to 2mb/sec in a couple weeks, but the upload stays at 256kb/sec in both cases.

to host a 12 player server do u think it’s enough ? (btw, i would load on it xmas mod to start with i think, which is something like 3MB in the s3m package…

do u think this pc will do the job ?

It should work just fine as your not playing the game.
    It will work even better once 41 is out as your don’t need to
    run the main exe to run the sever in it.
    This will have an even lower over head on system resources.

PS there’s another computer, but it’s a P1 with 80mb of Ram, do you know something i can do with it other than to recycle it πŸ˜› ?

thx

Recycle it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@picci wrote:

thx

Put Linux on it and use it as a router/firewall or mp3 player or webserver or fileserver or maybe for your mom to check email on πŸ˜‰

Picci
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

mp3 player or webserver or fileserver or maybe for your mom to check email on πŸ˜‰

GENIUS ! that’s what i’ll do, let my mom check email on it, do you know any distro made for email checking :p

just joking, but that’s acutally what i’m really gonna do, so is there any distro i can run to make that work… the lan is set up like this right now:

INTERNET
    |
    |
    ROUTER / ADSL MODEM / FIREWALL

a MAC my dad uses
    |
    |
    100 MB eth going to MAIN PC (has 3 eth)

2nd ETH 100MB TO LAPTOP
    |
    |
    |
    3rd ETH 100MB to HUB
    |
    |
    |
    OLD PC’S (actually not only that one… also other 2, but all pentium 1 πŸ™ !)

any ideas of how to get those pc’s online ? the MAIN comp. is running Win XP professional, laptop: win xp home, other pc’s running mandrake 9.1 at the moment, any ideas on what i should put on them ? btw, i can’t seem to get them online πŸ™

THX ALL !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.