This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Excellent! Now if I could only get it to run. *sigh*

Any known Linux issues? It’s crashing out as soon as the window comes up with no error message – “Terminated unexpectedly”
    I’m using a GF4-MX440, just noticed that there was a driver update fairly recently, trying that now.
    [edit]New driver, still no go[/edit]

I’ve been playing around with models for rollers, but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything, I’ll keep at it. 😉

Have you updated recently?
    Make sure that “no VBO” is checked in the display settings, if you were using 38 before this may be unchecked as I have changed the default.

How about something that looks like a spikey sea mine.
    Or a circular lattice thingy.
    Or a hexagonal sphere thing with holes in it.

Ebonite
    Participant

remember in Clasic UT (UT99) how the flak shells had a smilie face on them that you could see if you got beaned in the head with them? how about a big, round, yellow smilie face? 😆

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ve been playing around with ideas for the rollers, and here’s a few “concepts” I have come up with. I know, some (all?) of them are crap, but they are just things I came up with while playing around. I haven’t done anything to refine these at all – just early prototypes 😉

The ideas I like best out of these are #2, 3, and 3 (numbering left to right across the top row).

Any comments would be appreciated (ie: this one sucks, that one would be cool if you did this etc) 🙂

@Ebo wrote:

remember in Clasic UT (UT99) how the flak shells had a smilie face

Like the idea, but I fear it might abe a bit too goofy 😉
    I seem to recall getting a closeup of that smiley a few too many times in UT 😀

Ebonite
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@Ebo wrote:

remember in Clasic UT (UT99) how the flak shells had a smilie face

Like the idea, but I fear it might be a bit too goofy 😉

Oh, sure. Like Yoda throwing nukes, penguins shooting marbles, and Death losing his head aren’t? 🙄 😛 😉

Up to you, since I can’t even model a stick figure in 2D. 😥

I like the bottom left one that looks like a medieval mace head or morning star ball. the #1 and #3 on the top are cool, but due to the scaling in the game, I fear the spiky details would be lost.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

My personal favourites are 1 and 3 on the bottom row.
    I also love 1 and 3 on the top but I agree that the detail may be lost in game.

Nicely done 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

Did a bit more work and some testing with one of the “spikey” ones (the one that got two votes;)

I’ve been noticing a shading issue – I’m not 100% sure at the moment whether the problem lies in my model of in the way the game shades it, but what appears to happen is that one side of it is brightly lit and the other side is fairly dark, see image below (warning, 170kB):

I hope you see what I mean from that pic – was trying to keep the filesize down. I’m guessing that the rollers are shaded as they are when they first appear, such that when they roll the dark side ends up on top and bright side down – not a big deal really, especially if I darken the spikes a bit. 😉

cbx

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yes they are shaded one way up. However I can fix this if needed.

cbx550f
    Participant

No biggie – just wanted to be sure it was the game’s lighting (I still haven’t ironed out UV coords in my Blender export)

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Not being impatient, but is there a trial model I could test with. Cheers.

cbx550f
    Participant

Sorry, I meant to post something sooner (I haven’t had much time for this lately) I have more work to do with it (textures and decimation), but this works. 😉

I’ll try to finish it up over the weekend. 🙂

Cheers!

cbx550f
    Participant

Sorry for taking so long, Gavin (I was away)

Here’s a roller to test

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.