This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

There have been some really great models recently, I don’t suppose someone wants to do us a better model for a roller that we can use in game? 😉

Bobirov
    Participant

Hey speaking of the roller model, if you use the current “roller.ase” model for a projectile the texturing for it is broken. All projectiles that use the model get the same texture, regardless of what texture is set to be used in accessories.xml. Oddly enough tho, the texture can be a different one each time you start up Scorched.

I actually have added a few textures for the roller model in Apoc 2. Just flat colors mostly but still it would be nice if you could actually see them all in the same game. Is there any chance this issue could be addressed?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Hey speaking of the roller model, if you use the current “roller.ase” model for a projectile the texturing for it is broken. All projectiles that use the model get the same texture, regardless of what texture is set to be used in accessories.xml. Oddly enough tho, the texture can be a different one each time you start up Scorched.

I actually have added a few textures for the roller model in Apoc 2. Just flat colors mostly but still it would be nice if you could actually see them all in the same game. Is there any chance this issue could be addressed?

Sorry I don’t understand can you post the config you are trying to use the change to texture. Currently the texture cannot be set. However I am wanting to change it to a milkshape model with a texture.

cbx550f
    Participant

I’d love to do that, Gavin. Any thoughts on what you feel it should look like?

One question: Do they only roll on one axis? (ie: Could it be cylindrical rather than spherical?)

I’ll throw a couple things together tomorrow (or maybe later tonight – GMT-5) and post a couple shots here for opinions.

/cbx

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Cool 🙂 Yes the can roll on any axis. I did think of making cylindrical version but I haven’t yet.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Sorry I don’t understand can you post the config you are trying to use the change to texture. Currently the texture cannot be set. However I am wanting to change it to a milkshape model with a texture.

What I was referring to was not trying to change the texture of an actual roller weapon (WeaponRoller primitive), but to using the roller.ase model for a projectile. Here is a little snippet just to illustrate what I am referring to:

Acid Blast

roller.ase
    green.bmp

I use the model in a lot of places because its just a sphere and that seems fitting for many situations like “liquid” type weapons as well as my meteor series. Like I said, I have a few extra textures for it but somehow the handling for them is broken and not all the different textures are displayed in the same game. It seems as tho one texture winds up being used for all instances of roller.ase projectiles, regardless of which one is referred to in the xml. Every time the game is launched, the texture that is used might be different. I have no idea how the texture is chosen, it seems to be just completely random. So, what winds up happening is that my meteor weapons look like white balls instead of molten blobs or my acid weapons look like meteors. It is not a critical issue or anything but it does make things look kinda silly when the wrong texture is used for a weapon. This could very well be a broader issue that isn’t just related to the roller.ase model, but I haven’t noticed any other ase models have this issue so I am not sure.

cbx550f
    Participant

The accessory data for the roller seems to be compiled in – can that be changed via the accessories.xml file? I gave it a shot but it didn’t work.

If not, do I simply need to remove it from the Makefile?

Thx

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

What I was referring to was not trying to change the texture of an actual roller weapon (WeaponRoller primitive), but to using the roller.ase model for a projectile. Here is a little snippet just to illustrate what I am referring to:

Acid Blast

roller.ase
    green.bmp

I use the model in a lot of places because its just a sphere and that seems fitting for many situations like “liquid” type weapons as well as my meteor series. Like I said, I have a few extra textures for it but somehow the handling for them is broken and not all the different textures are displayed in the same game. It seems as tho one texture winds up being used for all instances of roller.ase projectiles, regardless of which one is referred to in the xml. Every time the game is launched, the texture that is used might be different. I have no idea how the texture is chosen, it seems to be just completely random. So, what winds up happening is that my meteor weapons look like white balls instead of molten blobs or my acid weapons look like meteors. It is not a critical issue or anything but it does make things look kinda silly when the wrong texture is used for a weapon. This could very well be a broader issue that isn’t just related to the roller.ase model, but I haven’t noticed any other ase models have this issue so I am not sure.

This should work in 38 now.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

The accessory data for the roller seems to be compiled in – can that be changed via the accessories.xml file? I gave it a shot but it didn’t work.

If not, do I simply need to remove it from the Makefile?

Thx

Yes sorry, in 37 you have to edit code to change it.
    If you look at src/actions/ShotBounce.cpp there should be code like this:-

ModelID id;
    id.initFromString("ase", "data/accessories/roller.ase", "none");
    model_ = ModelStore::instance()->loadOrGetArray(id);

if you change it to

ModelID id;
    id.initFromString("milkshape", "");
    model_ = ModelStore::instance()->loadOrGetArray(id);

It should be possible to test it, although it wont spin correctly yet.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

This should work in 38 now.

It does, and I thank you for it. Its so nice to be able to see green acid bomblets and molten meteors all in the same game. 😛

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😀

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Yes sorry, in 37 you have to edit code to change it.
    If you look at src/actions/ShotBounce.cpp there should be code like this:-

Thanks. Will it work directly from the accesories.xml file in the CVS version? I updated mine the other day, but it’s crashing on me (I think from too much late-night mucking aorund with the code;)… likely should just get a fresh copy when I have a few hours to kill.)

@gcamp wrote:

It should be possible to test it, although it wont spin correctly yet.

Good to know, thanks.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yes the CVS version allows you to change it in accessories.xml.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The CVS version also has the rollers actually rolling now (rotating as they move).

cbx550f
    Participant

Excellent! Now if I could only get it to run. *sigh*

Any known Linux issues? It’s crashing out as soon as the window comes up with no error message – “Terminated unexpectedly”
    I’m using a GF4-MX440, just noticed that there was a driver update fairly recently, trying that now.
    [edit]New driver, still no go[/edit]

I’ve been playing around with models for rollers, but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything, I’ll keep at it. 😉

Ebonite
    Participant

beach balls! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.