This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 13 years, 2 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #2776

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    There have been some really great models recently, I don’t suppose someone wants to do us a better model for a roller that we can use in game? 😉

    #12791

    Bobirov
    Participant

    Hey speaking of the roller model, if you use the current “roller.ase” model for a projectile the texturing for it is broken. All projectiles that use the model get the same texture, regardless of what texture is set to be used in accessories.xml. Oddly enough tho, the texture can be a different one each time you start up Scorched.

    I actually have added a few textures for the roller model in Apoc 2. Just flat colors mostly but still it would be nice if you could actually see them all in the same game. Is there any chance this issue could be addressed?

    #12792

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    @bobirov wrote:

    Hey speaking of the roller model, if you use the current “roller.ase” model for a projectile the texturing for it is broken. All projectiles that use the model get the same texture, regardless of what texture is set to be used in accessories.xml. Oddly enough tho, the texture can be a different one each time you start up Scorched.

    I actually have added a few textures for the roller model in Apoc 2. Just flat colors mostly but still it would be nice if you could actually see them all in the same game. Is there any chance this issue could be addressed?

    Sorry I don’t understand can you post the config you are trying to use the change to texture. Currently the texture cannot be set. However I am wanting to change it to a milkshape model with a texture.

    #12793

    cbx550f
    Participant

    I’d love to do that, Gavin. Any thoughts on what you feel it should look like?

    One question: Do they only roll on one axis? (ie: Could it be cylindrical rather than spherical?)

    I’ll throw a couple things together tomorrow (or maybe later tonight – GMT-5) and post a couple shots here for opinions.

    /cbx

    #12794

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    Cool 🙂 Yes the can roll on any axis. I did think of making cylindrical version but I haven’t yet.

    #12795

    Bobirov
    Participant

    @gcamp wrote:

    Sorry I don’t understand can you post the config you are trying to use the change to texture. Currently the texture cannot be set. However I am wanting to change it to a milkshape model with a texture.

    What I was referring to was not trying to change the texture of an actual roller weapon (WeaponRoller primitive), but to using the roller.ase model for a projectile. Here is a little snippet just to illustrate what I am referring to:

    				
    Acid Blast
    7

    0.5

    roller.ase
    green.bmp


    ...

    I use the model in a lot of places because its just a sphere and that seems fitting for many situations like “liquid” type weapons as well as my meteor series. Like I said, I have a few extra textures for it but somehow the handling for them is broken and not all the different textures are displayed in the same game. It seems as tho one texture winds up being used for all instances of roller.ase projectiles, regardless of which one is referred to in the xml. Every time the game is launched, the texture that is used might be different. I have no idea how the texture is chosen, it seems to be just completely random. So, what winds up happening is that my meteor weapons look like white balls instead of molten blobs or my acid weapons look like meteors. It is not a critical issue or anything but it does make things look kinda silly when the wrong texture is used for a weapon. This could very well be a broader issue that isn’t just related to the roller.ase model, but I haven’t noticed any other ase models have this issue so I am not sure.

    #12796

    cbx550f
    Participant

    The accessory data for the roller seems to be compiled in – can that be changed via the accessories.xml file? I gave it a shot but it didn’t work.

    If not, do I simply need to remove it from the Makefile?

    Thx

    #12797

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    @bobirov wrote:

    @gcamp wrote:

    Sorry I don’t understand can you post the config you are trying to use the change to texture. Currently the texture cannot be set. However I am wanting to change it to a milkshape model with a texture.

    What I was referring to was not trying to change the texture of an actual roller weapon (WeaponRoller primitive), but to using the roller.ase model for a projectile. Here is a little snippet just to illustrate what I am referring to:

    				
    Acid Blast
    7

    0.5

    roller.ase
    green.bmp


    ...

    I use the model in a lot of places because its just a sphere and that seems fitting for many situations like “liquid” type weapons as well as my meteor series. Like I said, I have a few extra textures for it but somehow the handling for them is broken and not all the different textures are displayed in the same game. It seems as tho one texture winds up being used for all instances of roller.ase projectiles, regardless of which one is referred to in the xml. Every time the game is launched, the texture that is used might be different. I have no idea how the texture is chosen, it seems to be just completely random. So, what winds up happening is that my meteor weapons look like white balls instead of molten blobs or my acid weapons look like meteors. It is not a critical issue or anything but it does make things look kinda silly when the wrong texture is used for a weapon. This could very well be a broader issue that isn’t just related to the roller.ase model, but I haven’t noticed any other ase models have this issue so I am not sure.

    This should work in 38 now.

    #12798

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    @cbx550f wrote:

    The accessory data for the roller seems to be compiled in – can that be changed via the accessories.xml file? I gave it a shot but it didn’t work.

    If not, do I simply need to remove it from the Makefile?

    Thx

    Yes sorry, in 37 you have to edit code to change it.
    If you look at src/actions/ShotBounce.cpp there should be code like this:-


    ModelID id;
    id.initFromString("ase", "data/accessories/roller.ase", "none");
    model_ = ModelStore::instance()->loadOrGetArray(id);

    if you change it to


    ModelID id;
    id.initFromString("milkshape", "");
    model_ = ModelStore::instance()->loadOrGetArray(id);

    It should be possible to test it, although it wont spin correctly yet.

    #12799

    Bobirov
    Participant

    @gcamp wrote:

    This should work in 38 now.

    It does, and I thank you for it. Its so nice to be able to see green acid bomblets and molten meteors all in the same game. 😛

    Thank you, thank you, thank you! 😀

    #12800

    cbx550f
    Participant

    @gcamp wrote:

    Yes sorry, in 37 you have to edit code to change it.
    If you look at src/actions/ShotBounce.cpp there should be code like this:-

    Thanks. Will it work directly from the accesories.xml file in the CVS version? I updated mine the other day, but it’s crashing on me (I think from too much late-night mucking aorund with the code;)… likely should just get a fresh copy when I have a few hours to kill.)

    @gcamp wrote:

    It should be possible to test it, although it wont spin correctly yet.

    Good to know, thanks.

    #12801

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    Yes the CVS version allows you to change it in accessories.xml.

    #12802

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    The CVS version also has the rollers actually rolling now (rotating as they move).

    #12803

    cbx550f
    Participant

    Excellent! Now if I could only get it to run. *sigh*

    Any known Linux issues? It’s crashing out as soon as the window comes up with no error message – “Terminated unexpectedly”
    I’m using a GF4-MX440, just noticed that there was a driver update fairly recently, trying that now.
    [edit]New driver, still no go[/edit]

    I’ve been playing around with models for rollers, but I’m having a hard time coming up with anything, I’ll keep at it. 😉

    #12804

    Ebonite
    Participant

    beach balls! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.