This topic contains 84 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i’m not usually one to argue semantics, but ‘resignation’ in english means something specific (as does ‘unsporting’). i.e. concession of defeat, you lose, your opponent would have won anyway, so you give up.

gain anything from it other than saving yourself the humiliation of getting blown up, and it’s not resignation. you may as well be disconnecting from the server before the kill registers.

very obviously, this is not the resign features intended purpose.

ps:
    i need to add that to my list of conditions for entering this mcb contest. resigning’s gonna have to be prohibited.

BigBear
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

How can the punishment be that they dont win the round, when, they were not going to win anyway, or, at least it was very unlikely.

It’s not a punishment, since it’s not a crime! It’s part of the cost for the action. There is a big differance!!!

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Basically, I just believe that to be a winner you must accept losing

Bah!!! How are we going to have a decent debate about this if you are going to make it a moral issue? If this is gonna be a matter of “it’s lame to deprave ppl of kills” vs “it’s lame to whine about having to kill someone in the next shot to get the kill” tell me now so I can go and do something more useful with my time.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

In the case where 2 (or more) people would otherwise have received ass points, I’d say the kill point should go to the person who hit last. Any others who contributed to the kill/resign should get an ass point as usual.

That would render the resign option useless. Might as well remove it from the game rather than hurting your poor heads coming up with these elaborate penalty schemes.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rather than punishment, maybe a full kill point should be awarded to the attacking player. isn’t that usually how resigning works? you accept you were gonna die anyway, and award your opponent the kill.

The name resign might not be ideal for the current implementation. By whatever name you call it it needs no further restrictions though. You are talking about the dictionary entry for resigning, not the scorched implementation by that name.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

That is the whole point LD I accept that I am not going to make it and don’t want to reward my opponent a free kill just because he/she wasn’t injured. After I choose to resign my opponent still has that shot to finish me off since the resign does not go into affect until the shot misses me. If the person that injured me is shooting at me odds are pretty good if they got that close once they aren’t going to miss the next shot. By resigning I’m saving time in the game, helping my opponents skills rating since they don’t have to miss over and over, forfeiting the round win, saving money for my opponent, using the tools available to me on the game and making people earn their kills. I just don’t see the problem.

Jurily
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rather than punishment, maybe a full kill point should be awarded to the attacking player. isn’t that usually how resigning works? you accept you were gonna die anyway, and award your opponent the kill.

The name resign might not be ideal for the current implementation. By whatever name you call it it needs no further restrictions though. You are talking about the dictionary entry for resigning, not the scorched implementation by that name.

He does have a point. Or we could call the implementation something else. How about “Run in fear”?

BigBear
    Participant

@jurily wrote:

He does have a point. Or we could call the implementation something else. How about “Run in fear”?

Very “clever”. I guess you didn’t have anything useful to say so you made a joke. Good for you *golfclaps*. Maby I should call the next person that misses me when I resign a no-good-couldn’t-hit-water-from-a-boat looser? No I shouldn’t and nor will I.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi All:

This thread seems to have gotten a life of its own while the eclipse was underway. The moon is back now, so let us kill this beast quicly least it kill us all, or even worse, it might resign.

Semantics and definititons then is it?@laptops Daddy wrote:

i’m not usually one to argue semantics, but ‘resignation’ in english means something specific (as does ‘unsporting’). i.e. concession of defeat, you lose, your opponent would have won anyway, so you give up.

gain anything from it other than saving yourself the humiliation of getting blown up, and it’s not resignation. you may as well be disconnecting from the server before the kill registers.

ps:
    i need to add that to my list of conditions for entering this mcb contest. resigning’s gonna have to be prohibited.

Great! I accept the challange.

I’d like Sportmanship and Resignations for $ 1000

When I resign from a job to take a better job I am not admitting defeat. Granted, my previous boss may be harmed, but that is more due to the fact that they were not competitive enough to keep me from changing jobs than it would be due to my “sportsmanship.” Do I gain anything from the move? If I’m smart I do. Moving sideways is seldom worthwhile unless a side move is required due to something blocking forward progress. It happens.

Perhaps, people would resign less if multiple players weren’t allowed to target the same tank. That is what was happening when I resigned and is what provoked this disscussion. I wasn’t dying quickly in spite of the fact that several players were targeting me at the same time and some were a little upset by that.

No, I’m not suggesting that for a game change, just pointing out that to truely be sporting, multiple players shouldn’t be targeting the same tank.

If I need to expound on this I can, but I can’t do it now.

Take care,

Rommel

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I want to be clear, I have no huge problem with people “resigning” personally. As with many of these issues of sportsmanship, there’s a butterfly effect. No doubt it’s gonna come back to haunt you in some circumstances. (i.e. swift mirv down your tank hole in the following round).

I don’t do it myself ’cause it’s not honourable.

@bigbear wrote:

That would render the resign option useless. Might as well remove it from the game rather than hurting your poor heads coming up with these elaborate penalty schemes..

No, this would make the resign option a resign option, rather than a cheater’s aid to losing badly : )

Legitimate resignation, perhaps if the opponent who crippled you got destroyed, and the other guy can’t reach, or you haven’t been hit yet, and really need to afk, deserves respect.

You know we could pretend we’re not ninjas trying to score a win by whatever means necessary, and maybe resign out of respect for the guy who would have won, had you not funked him from behind in the previous round.

Useless in the eyes of some, BBear, but again, it’s a rich tapestry : ) game dynamics. The human angle/game psychology aspect, is far from the least contributor to game wins.

@rommel wrote:

Semantics and definititons then is it?

: ) No it isn’t

Ps:
    I agree with Jurily. Let’s make it a ‘cheater’s aid to losing badly’ button.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

OK we can fix this one easy. Let’s all just call our shots. Before anyone fires call out who you are shooting at and then no one else can shoot at that player, he is marked and must remain still, no fuel, no tele, no resign until the player that called him first gets to kill him. This will make the game more honorable and sporting and prevent everyone from targeting the same player. Then maybe LD won’t theive me so damn much because it will be understood that when I target someone I have earned the right to kill that someone especially if I get close enough to wound them. Then the game will be the most honorable sporting game on the internet.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

: ) or you could sign up for that mcb contest ive heard so much about. im told there are gonna be cheerleaders

Deathbal
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ps:

In boxing, when a fighter throws in the towel, what does the winner get awarded with? a TKO. Now does he jump up and down complaining about his opponent not letting him get the K.O.?

When you can no longer fight in a round you should resign. If it didn’t deny others of points and money, then the feature would almost be useless.

As far as the mcb tournament. If both players are on opposite sides of the map with wind 5 and one can’t reach…….you expect him to sit there and get killed? So I doubt resigns will be prohibited. And the likelyhood of situational resigns will probably not happen either.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

If both players are on opposite sides of the map with wind 5 and one can’t reach…….you expect him to sit there and get killed?

I do take the point that it doesn’t sound fair. But how else are you going to restrict the kind of underhanded resignations we’ve been talking about above? You gonna have a ‘you can only resign if’ rule? I suppose infinite batteries would do it.

Maybe it’s not so important in a one on one game.

Deathbal
    Participant

What underhanded resignation?

Oh, resigning in one on one’s can play a major role. Like if someone concedes the round at the start because it is his opinion he has the much worse starting point. I don’t know if you play poker, but it happens all the time. Texas hold ’em. You look at your 2 cards and resign before seeing any of the other cards. They do this to NOT lose more money. Same with this game…….part of resigning is to not give your opponent 30 points and money.

Rommel
    Participant

Dang it Laptops Daddy, you know Semantics and Defintions are my forte and now you’re pulling it from the board! ?? 😛 @laptops Daddy wrote:

@rommel wrote:

Semantics and definititons then is it?

: ) No it isn’t
    Ps:
    I agree with Jurily. Let’s make it a ‘cheater’s aid to losing badly’ button.

Muttering to himself – I hate rigged games but I’m in too deep. Come on Potpourri give me a definition question.
    Ok, Alex, I guess I’ll take Potpourri for $ 5,000.

Rommel

Jurily
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

@jurily wrote:

Very “clever”. I guess you didn’t have anything useful to say so you made a joke.

You’re right, I didn’t have anything useful to say. LD said it before me: Award the kill to the last player to damage the resigning one. That way everyone’s happy.

Alternatively, make resigns public the second they push that button, not just have them disappear out of nowhere. That gives a fair chance to the shooter too.

I do Run In Fear occasionally, but I always comment it with something like “kill me so I won’t resign”. Unless of course noone is shooting at me.

Edit: grammar…

Jurily
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

In boxing, when a fighter throws in the towel, what does the winner get awarded with? a TKO. Now does he jump up and down complaining about his opponent not letting him get the K.O.?

When you can no longer fight in a round you should resign. If it didn’t deny others of points and money, then the feature would almost be useless.

The boxer still gets his money for the win. Here, it’s more like a draw.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.