This topic contains 84 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 8 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

For me, game is about killing and winning.

We SERIOUSLY disagree then!

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Resigning used to tick me off more than anything else. I used to hate when I almost got hobbes and *poof* away he went. Then I realised something…it’s a game and supposed to be fun.

Football the receiver sees he is about to get hit and runs out of bounds.

Tag there is almost always a base someone can touch to prevent him from being tagged.

Golf a player can concede the hole.

Boxing the trainer can throw in the towel.

In all these games someone has designed a way out for the threatened player and the same goes for scorched.

People say it is the honorable thing to do to sit and wait to be killed. Honorable for who? If the opponent shooting at you is the one who hit you he/she still gets a second attempt to kill you since the resign wont take affect until the shot has missed. If they don’t get you with the next shot then they will try harder next time. If the player who hit you is no longer shooting at you it is more than likely because they are dead and waiting to play again so wouldn’t it be honorable to resign and get on with the game so he/she can play agian?

I see no honor in sitting and making others wait while someone repeatedly tries to shoot you and misses. Pea I see your point in the needing practice bit and that is why offline target practice and the beginners server are there. Is it better practice for someone to re-aim and miss while no one else is shooting at them or would be more realistic if they were in actual game play trying to kill opponents while being fired upon? I just don’t see the honor in delaying everyone elses game while we wait for one person to try and hit a wounded player.

People who are complaining about resigners on here need to be sure they do not use fuel, bubbles, or teleports since these also will steal a kill from a player. All three of these are nothing more than defense tactics and I guess would be acceptable if the person could still fire and hit their opponent but if they are just tactics to avoid being killed they are absolutely positively no different than resigning.

When someone resigns they save their opponent money, they save everyone time, they forfeit any chance of a round win, and they frustrate their opponent. All give and take of game play.

Oh yeah and it’s funny sometime too.

Deathbal
    Participant

For those that know me, you also know that I rarely resign. But when someone resigns for whatever reason, the people that injured him get an assist. That is how it should be.

NO ONE deserves a kill. If you can no longer compete in a round, the smart thing to do is resign. That is of course provided you have no chance to win the round. If you can’t reach your opponent and he can kill you in about 3 shots, you really have to be a fool to let him. That is if common sense is involved. The problem with resigns in previous versions was that no one got any assists for making you resign.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

The problem with resigns in previous versions was that no one got any assists for making you resign.

I was unaware until today (about 2 hours ago) that an assist was still given even with a resign.
    This changes my mind a little as I have won and lost a couple of games purely due to assists, plus the additional cash you get can be rather helpful early on (not so later in the game as it such a small amount).

However, the actual poll is about whether it should be classed as a self kill. I believe it should be classed as a self kill at the moment there is no punishment for resigning.

In sports you are nearly always punished (again, for want of a better word), whether handing th initiative to your opponent, foreiting a game (which you have already lost the round anyway in scorched) or something similar.

Where does that exist here?

Remove a kill, take off points, take the first move of the next round away, something!

Deathbal
    Participant

No peanut. Your punishment for what? The resigner is already punished by not winning the round. Most don’t want to resign, they resign because they are crippled. It’s over. They are out because they can no longer compete. Why do we punish them more? Because someone else was too inept to kill them beforehand? No one has a right to a kill. All anyone has is the right to try and kill. Don’t punish someone for someone else’s inadequacies. All it is, is a simple retreat tactic in this game. Should you resign, or do you think you’ll make it through the round? Should I shoot again at him, or someone else? It is part of strategy.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

can never have too many ass points.

i don’t really understand the poll. is it asking if resigns should be punished? clearly a resign isn’t the same as a self kill.

the problem at the moment is that it’s often used as a means of denying your opponent the kill. and that’s not passive resignation or accepting defeat, it’s an intentional hindrance to the attacking players chances of winning the match.

rather than punishment, maybe a full kill point should be awarded to the attacking player. isn’t that usually how resigning works? you accept you were gonna die anyway, and award your opponent the kill.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

How can the punishment be that they dont win the round, when, they were not going to win anyway, or, at least it was very unlikely. Although I have seen people resign only to see a couple of moves later other people be crippled enough that theres a 2/3 way win and the resigner COULD have had a share.

Oh and to defend my position with the noobs, I am not saying its a major factor for them not sticking around, I am simply saying that it may be a contributory factor. Not having a moral boost now and then can be worse than a kick in the teeth now n then.
    Yes the tutorial and beginer server are there for them to learn, but the step from there to main is a large one, look @ TomKat, a top player on the beginner server, but after 5days of play and only 488 kills, that previous skill is not quite equating to skill on main, even tho he’s a pretty good player.

Many little things can be greater than one large thing!

Basically, I just believe that to be a winner you must accept losing

xtc
    Participant

Edit. “you” in this message, is not a certain person (besides sentences following the very quotations), just an abstract reader 😉

@Pea wrote:

However, the actual poll is about whether it should be classed as a self kill. I believe it should be classed as a self kill at the moment there is no punishment for resigning.

Why the hell should there be any punishment?
    Why no punishment for leaving the game as well? Maybe if you leaving in round 5, then 5 self kills for remaining rounds? Your way of thoughts says so.

If it is 12th turn, you shot and missed – maybe you want to have kill for that also???

Resigning is simply leaving the round before it actually ends.

Nobody is obliged to stay and serve as a prey.

I damaged myself and cant go on? Why the hell should you get kill for that?
    I was damaged by another person? Why the hell should you get kill for that?
    I am in position where unable to reach you while you can reach me? Why the hell should you get kill for that?
    I was damaged by you? Prove it was not occasional, adjust your shot and kill me!

MAKE GOOD SHOT AND YOU’LL SEE NO RESIGN.

And you speak about punishment.
    All the cases above, they are VERY BAD you know. You want people to be PUNISHED because BAD THINGS ALREADY HAPPENED to them?

Don’t declare rights for kill you FAILED to make. There are no rights for kill in the game others then actually making that kill.

Resign is resign. Self kill is self kill. There are resigns in stats, and it is your right to feel proud for having few if you like to.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rather than punishment, maybe a full kill point should be awarded to the attacking player. isn’t that usually how resigning works?

I was hit by 11 players. I resigned. Each of them shall get a kill for a person that was not killed? Nonsense.

How do you determine that attacker? Kill goes to the one who made it. The only way to prove you have RIGHT for the kill – to make that kill.

If someone else’s shot came there quicker, then it was that player’s kill, wasnt it?

Resign gives you (and all others) one chance.

If you hit me once, you get assist for it, but since when kill is given for hit?
    Imagine there is no resign option.
    You hit me, ok.
    Then somebody died dirty on the way of your next shot so it failed (even if technically it was shot to kill), then you were dropped down by diggers, then ……….. and in the end it is last noob who kills me.
    But you say kill should be given to some mysterious ‘attacker’.

Only by making second shot that does kill, you prove you have right for it. And in this case you cant have any problems with ‘resign’ matter. There’ll be none.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

you accept you were gonna die anyway, and award your opponent the kill.

By resigning I accept only I was not going to win the round, nothing more.

@Pea wrote:

How can the punishment be that they dont win the round, when, they were not going to win anyway, or, at least it was very unlikely.

EVERY round I play I am going to win. Sometimes person in the middle of the crowd that seemed to be 1000% dead, somehow survives and wins round. You can’t say for sure.

But if I obviously lose any chance to win it is “punishment” itself.

As well it happens to those who resign, quite often you leave the round and at the same time your attacker is shot dead by another player and it is obvious (from current turn, map locations, weather, participants’ power and skill) – that you could have the victory.

The situation that made you resigning is a disadvantage. Or if you resign being safe and sound you simply deny yourself possible achievements.
    What punishment man, be serious.

And also, sometimes resigning is so essential that I would even TURN ON SHIELD just to resign succesfully, when I expected person shooting me not to miss.

that previous skill is not quite equating to skill on main, even tho he’s a pretty good player.

Skill is skill everywhere. If you succeded in reaching some heights somewhere else just means skill was not neccesary.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

How do you determine that attacker? Kill goes to the one who made it. The only way to prove you have RIGHT for the kill – to make that kill.

If someone else’s shot came there quicker, then it was that player’s kill, wasnt it?

Resign gives you (and all others) one chance.

Perhaps it’s not practical to award more than one kill point. 11 assist points, though, is a little unrealistic for a single kill : ). 2 is unusual.

In the case where 2 (or more) people would otherwise have received ass points, I’d say the kill point should go to the person who hit last. Any others who contributed to the kill/resign should get an ass point as usual.

@xtc wrote:

And also, sometimes resigning is so essential that I would even TURN ON SHIELD just to resign succesfully, when I expected person shooting me not to miss.

This statement seems to back the point I made about resigns being more than a sporting concession of defeat. Why would you go to such lengths if you had nothing to gain?

Please explain.

xtc
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

This statement seems to back the point I made about resigns being more than a sporting concession of defeat. Why would you go to such lengths if you had nothing to gain?

Please explain.

Thought explanation of this was somewhere in the thread, must be hard to see 😆
    There are two sides of ‘way’ leading to victory… Do your own best and don’t let others succeed more then you 😉

Resigning is denying opponent a kill score, and money.
    Often 1 kill is a difference that makes someone winner above the others in the end.

And resigning is not letting your opponent get even that advantage. It is the least you can do (assuming that the very resigning was an acknowledging that you are unable to kill him).

Its the same tactics when, for example, among live there is only one really strong opponent and all others are almost harmless beginners. Highly probable that first you’ll try to defeat that opponent even if he is not shooting you, isnt it rational? Not to let him get these easy kills.
    (However it would be rational of the opponent to try to kill you first as well)
    Or when you go deliberate stealing kills even though have closer targets.

Mcb Lover
    Participant

an alive example.
    +/- 1 skip turn and he/me shoulda win the game….me and he risigned in this game…its a very good button/tactic, so i voted.

xtc
    Participant

@Mcb Lover wrote:

an alive example.

Heh an act of friendship it was 😀

But yes, close games are quite common thing, at least to me happen very often. So every single kill that you get and/or that your opponents don’t is essential.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

Thought explanation of this was somewhere in the thread, must be hard to see 😆
    There are two sides of ‘way’ leading to victory… Do your own best and don’t let others succeed more then you 😉

Resigning is denying opponent a kill score, and money.
    Often 1 kill is a difference that makes someone winner above the others in the end.

And resigning is not letting your opponent(s) get even that advantage.

this is an argument for some kind of consequence/punishment, not against.

the philosophy you’re advocating isn’t resignation, it’s taking your ball and leaving before the other team get to take the penalty.

in this context, “resigning” is extremely unsporting, and so i agree with peanuts. you should be punished, and you should be ashamed : )

Mcb Lover
    Participant

ok…ill be blushing when make resigne!

xtc
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

the philosophy you’re advocating isn’t resignation, it’s taking your ball and leaving before the other team get to take the penalty.

I think you are making too much stress on this very concept of LEAVING.
    But in the game where we die again and again resigning is not leaving.

in this context, “resigning” is extremely unsporting, and so i agree with peanuts. you should be punished, and you should be ashamed : )

Unsporting? Don’t they do same things in any sport where confrontation exists?
    In racing they do. Don’t know english word for it, sorry. Not letting someone get ahead of you.
    In football they do… in boxing as well…

Sport is not only attacking yourself but also blocking opponents efforts.
    Resigning in scorched should be treated in the same context, as a countermeasure. Tank is not very you, it is your tactic instrument. You don’t leave, only tank does.
    So thats not “escape”… sudden disconnects after firing a shot were, but now this problem is solved.

And no, I’m not ashamed 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.