This topic contains 84 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 8 years, 3 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6351

    on_ice
    Participant

    Hi folks!

    (Please move this to the right forum if this is not the place.)

    I would like to ask why some people resign during the game and why it has no penalty?

    The typical situation/tactic is to not buy chutes and no “life” packs to save money, buy nukes and stuff and kill opponents. Then, if the resigner got hit by a digger or just “hurt”, click resign and if the opponent misses, too bad, resigned. He gets away with 1 to 3 kills and stills the kill because “can’t reach…” or some excuse like that.

    Ok, it’s not cheating (the “resign” option does exist), but it is my opinion that’s not fair for the game: the “resigners” played all “in attack (no chutes/life = no defence, buying nuke s and stuff is “all attack”) and when hit because of their fault, and after the opponent did spent his ammo trying to hit him, and very well since it’s the resigners fault if he had no chutes and no life, he resigns and “stills” a good kill.

    For this to be fair, resigning should take a kill to the resigners score, just like a self kill.

    Maybe I’m missing the point of resign. I thought it would be some kind of “honourable retirement” when somebody wants to leave the game, but being used that way is not it.

    What do you think about it?

    #50156

    xtc
    Participant

    Jinx rulez.

    Why is it cheating or not fair? If you got someone with first shot, then you must finish him with second. If you miss with second, you are not deserving your kill.

    Why if I’m damaged and no batts should I give kill to someone not deserving it?

    Especially in case I damaged myself or by other person (not you). Again, why should you have benefit of this? If you manage to do it with one shot – that will be reward for your skill (or heavy bomb you used, hehe).

    @on_ice wrote:

    after the opponent did spent his ammo trying to hit him, and very well since it’s the resigners fault if he had no chutes and no life

    Spent ammo? But thats YOUR FAULT. If not sure you can hit, use baby missiles first.

    And what you speak about penalty… sounds wierd.
    Using fuel to drive away from incoming shot, is it fair or not? Or teleporting? Or turning on heavy shield while you expected to kill with baby missile? Or should we penalize this with -1 kill also?

    #50157

    on_ice
    Participant

    @xtc wrote:

    Why is it cheating or not fair?

    I did not say it was cheating.
    @xtc wrote:

    If you got someone with first shot, then you must finish him with second. If you miss with second, you are not deserving your kill.

    So you are the other side of the map, there is wind 5, I got the resigner after 2 diggers and he can’t “heal” up because he doesn’t have batts he didn’t buy. He resigns with 2 kills, I spent ammo and made a great shot and I don’t deserve the kill… WTF?
    @xtc wrote:

    THERE IS one fair chance for you.

    Where? I finally nail him, jump to my prize and he resigns? This is not logical.

    @xtc wrote:

    Why if I’m damaged and no batts should I give kill to someone?

    Because it’s the game? Are we both playing or just one of us?

    I’ll skip commenting the rest, but you are describing exactly what I’m talking about.

    Please vote.

    #50158

    xtc
    Participant

    @on_ice wrote:

    I did not say it was cheating.

    Yep, you hardly admitted it is not 😉

    So you are the other side of the map, there is wind 5, I got the resigner after 2 diggers and he can’t “heal” up because he doesn’t have batts he didn’t buy. He resigns with 2 kills, I spent ammo and made a great shot and I don’t deserve the kill… WTF?

    Wait wait SINCE WHEN DIGGERS ARE GREAT SHOT? Great shot is where you hit the very target… if your trajectory had made it, you would repeat even with baby missile and have your kill.

    Where? I finally nail him, jump to my prize and he resigns?

    Again you say ‘finally’… it means there was still a way to go to the state of ‘finality’.

    @xtc wrote:

    Why if I’m damaged and no batts should I give kill to someone?

    Because it’s the game? Are we both playing or just one of us?

    I dont think game is about giving easy kills. It happens too often anyhow when they give you great placement to be surely 1st shot dead.

    Please vote.

    I voted.

    I understand why are you irritated, but it happens to all of us.
    I know you as a very active fuel user. Let me say drivers irritate me alot! 😆 Maybe because I dont use it extensively myself? But I dont say they should be penalized. Its all fair. You have the same opportunity to do it to others.

    About “I needed only one shot more”… Eternal dream of scorched it is.

    #50159

    Rommel
    Participant

    Surely this is a joke post.@on_ice wrote:

    Hi folks!

    (Please move this to the right forum if this is not the place.)

    I would like to ask why some people resign during the game and why it has no penalty?

    The typical situation/tactic is to not buy chutes and no “life” packs to save money, buy nukes and stuff and kill opponents. Then, if the resigner got hit by a digger or just “hurt”, click resign and if the opponent misses, too bad, resigned. He gets away with 1 to 3 kills and stills the kill because “can’t reach…” or some excuse like that.

    Ok, it’s not cheating (the “resign” option does exist), but it is my opinion that’s not fair for the game: the “resigners” played all “in attack (no chutes/life = no defence, buying nuke s and stuff is “all attack”) and when hit because of their fault, and after the opponent did spent his ammo trying to hit him, and very well since it’s the resigners fault if he had no chutes and no life, he resigns and “stills” a good kill.

    For this to be fair, resigning should take a kill to the resigners score, just like a self kill.

    Maybe I’m missing the point of resign. I thought it would be some kind of “honourable retirement” when somebody wants to leave the game, but being used that way is not it.

    What do you think about it?

    “honourable retirement” ??? Just in case, I think I’ll resist and let someone else have a little fun.

    Rommel

    #50160

    BigBear
    Participant

    I used to dislike resigning quite a bit and if someone wanted to dig up old commentary with that view on my part I am sure it’s there. These days I feel differently.

    When you hit the resign button you still have to last the next shot before it takes effect. That offers ample opportunity for ppl to kill you. In addition you can’t win the round or otherwise accumulate more points once you hit the resign button. I consider these limiting factors to be the “cost” of resigning.

    If you can’t fight then you might as well resign if you can. Why “give away” money and score to an opponent that can be important down the line? I don’t need an excuse to resign. It’s a tactic like any other to get an edge in a competitive game. It has a “cost” that is proportionate to what you gain from it. Adding any further cost would be nothing short of a penalty for not following some “moral code” or some bs like that.

    Had the resign taken effekt without ppl having one more shot at you I’d have agreed. As they do get that extra shot as it is I strongly disagree.

    #50161

    Chopper
    Participant

    Bear we’re usually on the same page…………but nothin po’es daChop more than lockin’ in on a dude……….and having him disappear before my bullet gets there. Sometimes it s an expensive bullet too.

    Maybe its been changed don’t know…what I do know is….its a surefire way to get targeted in the next round.

    #50162

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    The game is about killing and dying in my opinion.

    Let people get you, why not?

    The ‘not deserving of the kill’ argument is complete crap IMO, so someone had a bad shot, or they just ain’t that good yet, we have all at least been there, or still are.

    I can except that people resign, they are too bothered with stats to ‘allow’ themselves to die, I have the ability to finish off my kills, I don’t always manage it, but its in me to do it.

    It’s the newer players I feel sorry for. Quite often, they are not the ones that put a player in the crippled position they are in, but they get the chance to kill a high quality player, but it gets taken away.
    You wonder why there the newbs are not sticking around?

    Near perfect example was earlier today with Rommel and Sky. Rommel left me with very little health after being a big girl (I say this as you were not getting an advantage mby moving… going to the other side of the mountain would have been more advantagous ‘IMO’) and moving a few times. I was in a crater and Sky was the other side of the map and needed to go through the wall to kill me, not an easy shot but ‘should’ have killed me within two shots with his rollers.
    It took about 5 roller shots to get me, so what. It was good practice for him, I was able to learn a tiny bit and he got the kill.

    Let people get their kills, if you don’t like being a sitting duck, spend money on batts or fuel or some other defense, stop being so French and stop with giving up at the first sign of pain!

    #50163

    Rommel
    Participant

    Outstanding rebuttal XTC. I have nothing to add except to take blame for the poll.@xtc wrote:

    @on_ice wrote:

    I did not say it was cheating.

    Yep, you hardly admitted it is not 😉

    About “I needed only one shot more”… Eternal dream of scorched it is.

    If anyone see’s John McCain here due to the poll, I’m truely sorry, but more are sure to follow as we approach Novemember. 😉

    It appears that I may have ruffled a few feathers in a game that just finsihed up.

    Ruffled feathers? Not again Rommel !!! Why can’t you just play nice and donate kills?

    If you check the stats, you may see that I’m guilty of resigning more than most. At least, if you can’t see very well you may see that. 😉

    Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay!

    Rommel

    #50164

    on_ice
    Participant

    @rommel wrote:

    “honourable retirement” ??? Just in case, I think I’ll resist and let someone else have a little fun.

    Rommel

    Yeah, you got me, Herr General. That’s a “resigner” argument. Honourable would be fighting ’till the end and die with honour… 8)

    #50165

    Black-Rose
    Participant

    @bigbear wrote:

    I used to dislike resigning quite a bit and I am sure if someone wanted to dig up old commentary with that view on my part I am sure it’s there. These days I feel differently.

    When you hit the resign button you still have to last the next shot before it takes effect. That offers ample opportunity for ppl to kill you. In addition you can’t win the round or otherwise accumulate more points once you hit the resign button. I consider these limiting factors to be the “cost” of resigning.

    If you can’t fight then you might as well resign if you can. Why “give away” money and score to an opponent that can be important down the line? I don’t need an excuse to resign. It’s a tactic like any other to get an edge in a competitive game. It has a “cost” that is proportionate to what you gain from it. Adding any further cost would be nothing short of a penalty for not following some “moral code” or some bs like that.

    Had the resign taken effekt without ppl having one more shot at you I’d have agreed. As they do get that extra shot as it is I strongly disagree.

    Amen 🙂 😀 😀

    #50166

    BigBear
    Participant

    @chopper wrote:

    …and having him disappear before my bullet gets there.

    That is not how the resign works, which is why I don’t mind it. If that happened the other player must have disconnected or something.

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    It’s the newer players I feel sorry for. Quite often, they are not the ones that put a player in the crippled position they are in, but they get the chance to kill a high quality player, but it gets taken away.
    You wonder why there the newbs are not sticking around?

    At least be realistic on the impact it could possibly have in that context if you are going to make that argument. Resigning being the main reason some players don’t stick around? That I don’t believe. And I certainly don’t believe in pity on main. That was not how I learned to play there and I am confident I was better off for it! I sure didn’t get whatever level of skill I might claim to possess by whining “don’t shoot me I am a newbie!!!” on main.

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    Let people get their kills, if you don’t like being a sitting duck, spend money on batts or fuel or some other defense, stop being so French and stop with giving up at the first sign of pain!

    So “stealing someone’s kill” by other means (fuel etc) is ok then? I fail to see the logic.

    @on_ice wrote:

    Yeah, you got me, Herr General. That’s a “resigner” argument. Honourable would be fighting ’till the end and die with honour…

    I have used that very argument myself to bash resigning. That doesn’t mean I consider it any less a bs argument these days. I fail to see what is honourable about waiting for someone to off me when they get around to it or are able to seal the deal several shots later.

    #50167

    xtc
    Participant

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    The game is about killing and dying in my opinion.

    For me, game is about killing and winning.
    Dying is a circiumstance, not goal.

    But each has a right to decide what is the game about for him… Some think its about dirting. Some think about spamming chatbox. There are many viewpoints.

    Let people get you, why not?

    You must print this out in big bold letters and stick to your monitor 😉

    Don’t buy and use shields! LET PEOPLE GET YOU, WHY NOT!
    Don’t buy and use chutes! LET PEOPLE GET YOU, WHY NOT! (with great shots of diggers)
    See you can kill someone with first shot? Don’t do this shot! LET PEOPLE GET YOU, WHY NOT!
    Aim only with closed eyes! And dont fire big things – they really can kill you know! LET PEOPLE GET YOU, WHY NOT!

    someone had a bad shot, or they just ain’t that good yet, we have all at least been there, or still are.

    Had a bad shot? YOUR FAULT.
    Aint that good? YOUR FAULT.
    Didnt expect, or notice anything to react properly? YOUR FAULT.
    Decided to play at 3 a.m. when brain is off and eyes hardly see? YOUR FAULT.

    Take a laugh. I had a game two nights back. Round 10. Me and Shell, almost even score. Distance smaller then nuke explosion diameter. I shot a DH and missed. Second I shot funky and missed. Third I shot nuke and missed. And was killed (I had bubble, he didnt). And lost game I could easily win. So what?

    I can except that people resign, they are too bothered with stats to ‘allow’ themselves to die,

    Dont confuse rational behavior aimed at winning the game with ‘being bothered with stats’.
    Games are played with intention to win.

    It’s the newer players I feel sorry for.

    Do you feel sorry for newer players much enough to never kill them in game? LET PEOPLE GET YOU, WHY NOT! 😉

    Let people get their kills, if you don’t like being a sitting duck, spend money on batts or fuel or some other defense, stop being so French and stop with giving up

    No, giving up is what you suggest. Resigning is an action. Action with a purpose and certain results achieved. It is a way of keeping the fight. To win in the end.

    #50168

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hang on dude, that’s my goat.@on_ice wrote:

    @rommel wrote:

    “honourable retirement” ??? Just in case, I think I’ll resist and let someone else have a little fun.

    Rommel

    Yeah, you got me, Herr General. That’s a “resigner” argument. Honourable would be fighting ’till the end and die with honour… 8)

    Yours is in the breeding barn with che’s.

    This buck won’t go anywhere with you unless I give you the lead, and to be honest, I’ve grown quite fond of this old goat. 😛 Oh yeah, my buck bred her while she was here, bred her good too. 😉 You can keep the kids, you need better stock. My compliments.

    Now let’s see … you were looking for a scape goat … awww yes, this one should be yours. 😆

    If you see che, please tell him that his gat has been throughly bred, and I’d appreciate it if he’d come and get her. My old buck stays in rut and his gat won’t stop flagging.

    Oh what fun it is to be a Scorching bastard during a total lunar eclipse. 😈

    See you after the moon comes back,

    Rommel

    #50169

    parasti
    Participant

    I enjoy being able to resign and I nearly always resign if left with no other choice. I can’t pinpoint a reason for it; I guess I just see it as less hassle for everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.