This topic contains 65 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

There are many instances when cbx or I will resign even when not yet crippled :

• When we are at a strategic disadvantage even prior to being damaged
    • When we suspect we may be killed in the next one or more shots]

grr, thats his point, you’re not resigning for no reason, you resign when you feel it is to your advantage.

Finally you get it!

For crying out loud, folks, it’s not like we’re doing something that others can’t! (Or even doing something that you think is to our advantage!)

WHY is resigning an issue? Sure, I say to myself “Damn you Hobbes!” sometimes when I was SURE I’d get him on the next shot. Note: It’s the NEXT shot – it’s not like you take a shot at someone and they go *poof* before you shot gets there. I also say “Damn you Hobbes!” when he gets me before I get him. Furthermore, I say the same thing when someone else gets him before I do. Let’s not forget the way he might put up a shield at the last moment, and my missile bounces off into space.
    How is resigning different than any of these?

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

How is resigning different than any of these?

resigning is very different from those.
    Had hobbes raised a shield to stay alive, that would have cost him something, wouldn’t it.

someone else hitting him before you has absolutely nothing to do with resigning, and alot more to do with assists. (cringes)

What the other half of us are saying is that resining or not should always be weighed with the cost of dying.

in all cases, dying awards another player points, and what we want to see is a way to force the resigner to balance the other players loss with their own. Currently most times, the resigner experiences no cost.

*clink*

InductiveOne
    Participant

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=32893#32893

I still like my idea best (go figure)

resigns could maybe 1 in 10 times make you explode. Even 1 in 20. Just enough of a chance that it may go bad. Or at least dirt yourself a little or something. Think its a better idea then a regular point/score subtraction. Hobbs idea is good but it seems confusing. Why does everyone seem to want to inject more math into the game!?! Heh, i need a burger.

cbx550f
    Participant

I just did a quick count, in this stats series, on the main server, there have been (approx):
    350 resigns
    200 000 rounds.

That’s over 500 player-rounds per resign, on average.

Is it really a concern?

BOY
    Participant

okay, I could go for a burger too….

…….with a lilttle random explode on the side.

There’s nothing like flavor exploding in your mouth, errr, um, exploding, like flavor in your mouth. 8)

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Is it really a concern?

hmmmmmm…… a concern? It is a concern to some.

Willis
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I just did a quick count, in this stats series, on the main server, there have been (approx):
    350 resigns
    200 000 rounds.

That’s over 500 player-rounds per resign, on average.

Is it really a concern?

*moved link to this topic*

List of resigners, minimum requirement of 5 resigns *FYI – CBX – Disable Smilies to get link’s to display correctly*

Is it a big concern? No, and I’d guess that 2/3 of the times people select to resign.. they still die. But for me, the reason I support this topic is those unique conditions where the person attempting the kill has put much into it, to only have the person resign out and essentially make the resources put “for nothing”. See my earlier post for a small list of resources.

A player completes their session in a round in the following conditions:

* Killed – exists round from death. Positive for killer(s), neutral for player.

* Victory – Sole survivor or until turns are complete. Positive for person, neutral for others.

* Resign – Neutral for player, Negative for others.

That negative factor is key focus of our argument. Everyone can’t resign as then there would be no kills and hence no winners.

On a personal level, the topic isn’t that important to me. I look back at the link I posted and only see 13 names on it.. some I don’t even recognize. But the topic exists, hence I share my thoughts.

Deathbal
    Participant

I think this was already mentioned. Just make it so resign takes effect at the end of the round. Wouldn’t that solve it?

Ebonite
    Participant

resign already takes place at the end of the current shot.

clearly, that has not solved the issue some people have with it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@willis wrote:

List of resigners, minimum requirement of 5 resigns *FYI – CBX – Disable Smilies to get link’s to display correctly*

Sorry, but I just HAVE to ask: Why that comment?

Deathbal
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

The last time I saw somone resign it did not occur at then end of the round. It happened right before my rollers got the kill. Am I just imagining that? I could have sworn that is what I saw.

cbx550f
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

@ebonite² wrote:

The last time I saw somone resign it did not occur at then end of the round. It happened right before my rollers got the kill. Am I just imagining that? I could have sworn that is what I saw.

It does appear like that sometimes. What actually happens is that the resign occurs the moment that you did not get the kill – the instant that all shots are completed.

jdog
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@deathbal wrote:

@ebonite² wrote:

It does appear like that sometimes. What actually happens is that the resign occurs the moment that you did not get the kill – the instant that all shots are completed.

Something most people don’t know about this game is, the game knows weither or not your shot will kill the tank your shooting or if that tank will be killed by a stray shot as soon as you hit the fire button. This is why sometimes you will see “player x killed player y with a nuke” before the shot has landed.

Willis
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

Something most people don’t know about this game is, the game knows weither or not your shot will kill the tank your shooting or if that tank will be killed by a stray shot as soon as you hit the fire button. This is why sometimes you will see “player x killed player y with a nuke” before the shot has landed.

I honestly had to read this twice, this sounds a little complicated and misleading. But I think I know what your saying. For others in my boat let me paraphrase:

When players see the shots, explosions, and kills.. it is independent from text messages of kills and such. The basic shot trajectories and player actions are gathered at the server and forwarded to the client [the player] and it is the client’s duty to simulate the results. But it is still the server’s decision on when and where explosions occur.

When the actions are being displayed, the server decides when people die, and accordingly displays messages. HOWEVER in rare instances, when players have lag or are involving random-action devices like rollers, what the client sees and what the server DECIDES may not be parallel. Sometimes it’s as simple as when a person is seen as dead, other’s it could be exactly where the explosion occurs.

What I thought was complicated is the idea of the game “predicting” if people will die. Technically it does not do this, it makes decisions in a real-time scenario, however – again, while what people see is done via the client, it is still the server that has the last say.

If the game COULD “predict” who will die or not die, the move could end sooner when all dangerous shots are complete. (This is why we wait until something like rollers detonate before the round is complete.)

Chopper
    Participant

@boy wrote:

we need a club…. the club moto will be:

“We shoot resigners on site.”

I think Willis, Noob, and Indy, and me would all be in.

I have a club that would fit the bill, you guys should join it.

Can I join?…. =D>

I think everyone knows where Da’ Chop stands on this….BUT….I do have a suggestion. Instead of penalizing the resigner (although I voted fine ’em) maybe REWARD the player that wounded him. Like give them their bullet back with maybe some $$$$$….or better give them the kill.

I too have wasted a shot (and sometimes an expensive weapon) on one of these weiners…… 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.