This topic contains 65 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

Much ado has been made about resigning, almost as much as square counting!

If this idea has come up before, sorry, but before I attempt an actual request, I’d like to know the poll numbers. ๐Ÿ˜›

This could give the chronic resigners something to really be proud of ๐Ÿ˜€

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Much ado has been made about resigning, almost as much as square counting!

If this idea has come up before, sorry, but before I attempt an actual request, I’d like to know the poll numbers. ๐Ÿ˜›

This could give the chronic resigners something to really be proud of ๐Ÿ˜€

Hehehehehhee ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

InductiveOne
    Participant

It would help if you had to select resign like a shield so everyone would see you resign before being able to shoot where you were. Er, so when the round started resigning players would disapear right away, instead of being able to wait until the last second to waste my realy expensive bomb ๐Ÿ™‚

edit: or, if its going to cost you some money/points, it would be cool if it selected a random amount. Which may be what you meant in the poll acualy.

hobbesme
    Participant

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

You anti-resigners make me sick. BOY cheers me on in one topic but starts secret? polls on another thread!

You know what we really need around here is an anti-whining ordinance — so just zip your snivelling little lips & haul your skinny little asses outta here!

*Thunderous applause cut short due to resigning*

Oh yeah, I voted for “no cost”. ๐Ÿ˜›

BigBear
    Participant

My instictive feeling is that it should hurt as much as possible! A loss of points lessens their chances of winning a game (hell yeah on -250 points) so that was where I cast my vote.

Valid schmalid tactics. It is lame, pure and simple as far as I am concerned. Right down there with dirt, eeeeeeeeeeeew!!!

hobbesme
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

A loss of points lessens their chances of winning a game (hell yeah on -250 points)

cbx550f wrote:
      But there is, and always has been, a penalty for resigning!
      You cannot win the round!
      hobbesme wrote:
      Yes, this has always been the built-in penalty for resigning.

As quoted above, the penalty for resigning is the inability to gain further kills or a round win. Resigning currently puts a player at a -100 or more deficit from the remaining players. An additional 250-point penalty would place the resigning player at a -350 deficit. Assigning a negative-point penalty is just punitively double-penalizing resigning where a single-penalty already exists.

@bigbear wrote:

Valid schmalid tactics. It is lame, pure and simple as far as I am concerned.

Regardless of anti-resigners’ sentiment about its validity or connotation, resigning is a tactic with a built-in penalty. It does NOT need additional double-penalties.

Otherwise we might as well debate every game tactic & advantage we disagree with & call for penalities against such gameplay.

Ebonite
    Participant

Irishbandit
    Participant

@EBO wrote:

I’m still partial to the suggestion that the resign option would only be available for the first five seconds of a turn and when used, broadcast a message that PlayerX was resigning.

I like that idea at least we would not waste shots. Even resigning when you are injured and the person that injured you is dead does not leave such a bad feeling. But just resigning for the sake of resigning whats the point. At least kill yourself!!!

I hate to say it though ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• it is a feature not a bug.. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

InductiveOne
    Participant

I dont think any real point/money deduction for resigning should happen, I would like to see it happen at the start of a shot though as oposed to when you fire. But, I dont realy mind either way. Resigned is as good as dead. And most resigns are because there are no shots anyone left can make from what I’ve seen. I’d rather see a resign then watch 6 shots into the side of a hill.

a banana
    Participant

I’ve only been playing for a few weeks. AFAICR, in that time I’ve seen three resigns all of which were by players severely injured and being actively targetted by another player (or me, in one instance). In all three instances the resigner denied the targetter of a kill and “wasted” at least one shot — a shot that could’ve been used against a non-resigner.

The idea that a resigner is already penalised by denying themselves a round win doesn’t figure (certainly not a resignation in the circumstances that I’ve witnessed) as the resigner is already in a position where they’re almost certainly not going to win the round anyhow, but are merely denying their current adversary a kill. If this is thus used to aid in winning a game then it is, indeed, very lame and certainly not in the spirit of the game when taken at face value.

I voted for -250 points. $10,000 is often trivial to a player in later rounds, but the points sting. Heck, I guess you could even manage to get a negative score if you resigned enough…

InductiveOne outlines a valid reason for a resignation (if no-one can actually hit each other), but isn’t that what “Skip” is for?

Could resign become a feature that only works if all remaining players agree on it? So a player sees that he’s not going to be able to get any more kills and clicks on resign, but the game doesn’t let him resign until the other remaining players also believe there’s no point in going on, so also click on resign.

Ebonite
    Participant

I would like to point out that when a player kills himself, they lose:

one kill (and that is only from the scoreboard of the current game, it does not count against overall stats),

an amount of money pro-rated based on the weapon used and amount of damage inflicted,

and their score is not affected.

When a player resigns, they lose:

the ability to increase any stat in that round, whether it be kills, assists, money, or the round win.

So, with the proposed penalties for resigning, a player could lose 250 from their score (compared to a loss of ZERO from a suicide) or 10,000 from their money (compared to a maximun loss of 7,500 if a player was full health and killed himself with a baby missile). How much does anyone want to bet that if either change is implemented, resigns will decline but suicides will jump? Unless people are willing to take a major hit from accidentally cbx’ing or ebo’ing…

Willis
    Participant

Death to resigners! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

I actually voted a negative-score impact.

The hidden “penalty” behind resigning is that “they can’t win the round”… well if they choose not to win, lets make certain they DON’T win. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bobirov
    Participant

Whatever happened to resigns occuring at the end of the turn? I could have swore that pretty much solved the issue of wasted shots right then and there, as well as adding in a bit of a penalty in that you are likely to get shot if you’re being targeted.

BOY
    Participant

I point out one more time that the fabled “built in penalty” does not exist. It is a logical falacy. Nobody trying to win will resign if it actually hurt their chances to win, that would be stupid wouldn’t it. Resigners always calculate the risk in order to do the least damage to their ability to win. Or am I wrong? Resigning is some form of self punishment then? ๐Ÿ˜›

The penalty is and always was on the other player, the player that was about to kill you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.