This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Cerwin 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Cerwin
    Participant

Hello all, this is my first message here.

I tried reading some of the FAQ’s and the TODO, but didn’t find these there. Ok, so these are some of the things that bug me and my fellow players.

The Chat. It’s working, that’s good, but it’s not very usable:
    -The messages that you can write are very short.
    -The text has some weird shading that makes it quite hard to read.
    -Also the text easily disappears into the background (Could there be a transparent window for chat, similar to wind and minimap, making it a LOT easier to read?).
    -You can only see a few messages at the same time, and there is no message log you could check (Diablo II -style message log would be great).
    -Hey, while we’re discussing Diablo, why not also implement the possibility to ignore and squelch other players, thus making the need for curse word filtering somewhat lower.
    -The messages stay on screen for a really short time (That message log I mentioned would make fixing this not so important).

Configuring player:
    -How do I change my color? Sometimes one or more pairs of players get really similar colors, while some very different colors aren’t even in use by any player. (So could there a player color drop down menu in the player configuration window.. you know where you change name etc.)

Well I suppose that’s all the whine I had reserved for this time. 🙂 I hope someone from the development team reads this and can take the time to reply.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Sorry for the sortness of the reply, I am just going out.

Ok, I will have a look at making the messages easier to read.
    The shortness depends on the size of screen you play on (I think ;).
    There already is a message log – the console. All expired messages go here. You can bring it down using the ` key (top left on my kb).

Ebonite
    Participant

Is there a way to make the console scroll-able? If I type “help” or whatever in the console and all the available commands start listing, I can only see the last half or third, and there is no way I can find to see the earlier command options (the ones that have scrolled up off the available screen).

imported_gcamp
    Participant

You can scroll up and down through the history using the page up and down keys.
    And cycle through the last few commands using the up and down arrow keys.
    Completion is via the tab key.

Ebonite
    Participant

Excellent. Thanks.

Cerwin
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Ok, I will have a look at making the messages easier to read.

That would be great. I think the two problems are the shading of the text (which is too far off) and the text lost in the background (some sort of transparent window might fix this, perhaps make it toggleable?).

@gcamp wrote:

Umm.. No I mean you can only write x number of characters to a message, the x being a lot smaller than for example in IRC or ICQ or whatever chat-software people are used to. It makes the chat feel quite akward to use.

@gcamp wrote:

There already is a message log – the console. All expired messages go here. You can bring it down using the ` key (top left on my kb).

Ah, ok I totally forgot about the console. Why, you may ask. Because in Scandinavic keyboard layout the ` is a special key hidden behind SHIFT-action, therefore the action not working. Note to self: Remember to edit the key to console as something else than ` 🙂

Hey and thanks for replying!

ps. Any comment on my “How do I change my color?” -question stated in the original post? We just had 3 pink players on a 6 player game last night. 😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Umm.. No I mean you can only write x number of characters to a message, the x being a lot smaller than for example in IRC or ICQ or whatever chat-software people are used to. It makes the chat feel quite akward to use.

No what I meant was the larger the screen the larger the talk dialog is. This allows more text. But any way I will make it larger, what do you want to do, type a novel 🙂

@gcamp wrote:

Ah, ok I totally forgot about the console. Why, you may ask. Because in Scandinavic keyboard layout the ` is a special key hidden behind SHIFT-action, therefore the action not working. Note to self: Remember to edit the key to console as something else than ` 🙂

No worries, given time I may make it so the text window can be scrolled. Although this is not high priority, sorry.

Hey and thanks for replying!

No worries, thanks for playing.

ps. Any comment on my “How do I change my color?” -question stated in the original post? We just had 3 pink players on a 6 player game last night. 😉

Whats wrong with pink, very nice is pink 🙂
    Being able to pick your own color would not fix the problem as you could all choose the same color. Perhaps the server should check for similar colors before dishing one out.

Cerwin
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Whats wrong with pink, very nice is pink 🙂
    Being able to pick your own color would not fix the problem as you could all choose the same color. Perhaps the server should check for similar colors before dishing one out.

I disagree with this view. For example the games that I’ve played with my friends, people get quite used to having one color. But as it is, the only way to get the same colors every time is to connect to the server in set order. And that quite frankly sucks. 🙂

I’d rate the player color option with same importance as the player model option. If you can choose your model.. then why not color as well.

Trying to think of down sides of having the option… the only thing that really comes to my mind is some kids changing colors constantly, imitating a rainbow. 🙂 But other than that I can’t really see what’s the harm.

Also, I haven’t tried out the team matching feature yet (so it might already work like this), but it would feel logical that team mates have the same kind of color. So enabling the choice would make things here too simpler.

So ways to do it..
    A) Allow player to choose his color when first connected to game. This would stop lamers from imitating rainbows. Then again even that is only a problem in some rare public games.
    B) Allow player to choose and change his color the same way the model can be changed now (as in add a small drop down list with available colors to the same configuration window). This would be the most usable and versatile option.
    C) Your idea, have the server give out colors depenging on their usage. Would solve the same color -issue for FFA-matches, but in team matches only creates more. Also doesn’t give the ability to choose the same color for every game.

That’s my 2 cent’s worth of brainstorming. Please say if you want me to stop that. 🙂

Deathstryker
    Participant

Actually, I find it important that the colors of text stay corresponding with the color you are. If we would all have the same colored text it would be harder to relate it to a certain tank. I’m well aware that we could still use names to figure out who it is but my point is color coding makes it so much more easier.

Maybe if there were an option of color preference for text and tank name and if the colors are not used on the server you could use that preferred color.

Cerwin
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

Actually, I find it important that the colors of text stay corresponding with the color you are.

Absolutely. There is no sense in having two different colors for 1 player. I just wish it would become possible to choose this one color freely. Provided it’s not in use by someone on the server already, of course.

But now I’m off to play a couple of rounds of this awesome game. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.