This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 9 years, 4 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #30389

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    Am I the only one that misses the server GUI?

    Hmm I didnt take it as one or the other but that you got to pick which one you wanted… am I missing something??

    #30390

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @irishbandit wrote:

    @deathstryker wrote:

    Am I the only one that misses the server GUI?

    Hmm I didnt take it as one or the other but that you got to pick which one you wanted… am I missing something??

    Well you can still use the web management interface to control the server, but there is no more integrated GUI with menus.

    @ToDo wrote:

    Added: wxWindows server GUI has been depricated (now console only)

    #30391

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    oops sorry i dont read the todo like i should 😐 … One day i will code like the best and be a part of dev….. well I can dream cant I…. 😳 😳

    #30392

    cbx550f
    Participant

    Since any server I have ever run is managed remotely, I won’t miss the server GUI. 😉

    Even when I ran servers locally for testing or whatever, I always preferred them to be run as background processes.

    There have been many improvements in the web interface lately… many since I last tested it. I know the lack of the old GUI is a concern for some… but I think the improved web interface accommodates most, if not all, needs.

    #30393

    Thrax
    Participant

    @cbx550f wrote:

    Since any server I have ever run is managed remotely,
    I won’t miss the server GUI. 😉

    Even when I ran servers locally for testing or whatever, I always
    preferred them to be run as background processes.

    There have been many improvements in the web interface lately…
    many since I last tested it. I know the lack of the old GUI is a concern
    for some… but I think the improved web interface accommodates most,
    if not all, needs.

    “a concern for some… “

    it’s a crippling blow to “some…”
    any player that wishes to load a lan server is now prevented from actually
    managing it..unless he logs into himself a second time by web-browser..

    you’ve heard my grief over it in both Public and Dev… but apparently
    there’s no hope of correcting it now.

    The Web-browser remote-admin does have more buttons and knobs now,
    true. But it’s a long fall from being able to directly monitor or control
    them as we currenly can.

    Next Version is split into 3 “EXE’s”.
    Scorched.exe pre-loader menu and config setup.
    Scorchedc.exe Game-Play Client for Solo-mode or Net-play
    Scorcheds.exe Stand-alone app for hosting LAN or I-net Servers.

    only the last one is “Required” for hosting,loaded by command-line
    switches and XML instruction files.

    #30394

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    Cant you have it auto remember your login and pass? I would think having multiple server tabs open in a web browser would be nice and cleaner….

    #30395

    Thrax
    Participant

    @irishbandit wrote:

    Cant you have it auto remember your login and
    pass? I would think having multiple server tabs open in a web browser
    would be nice and cleaner….

    ..not everyone uses firefox, or even the tab’d version of IE.

    as local-mode, you do not need to login for the remote-admin, but the
    requirement is having to load the server windows for hosting, a
    browser for controlling it, and a browser to the Stats pages for the
    Recent Events listing.. 3 locations to look. instead of all in 1.

    Gavin already has heard my thoughts on it, and has added a few minor
    considerations to the Control page for active chat etc. But the loss is
    still extremely noticable.

    #30396

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    I guess we’ll know how the general public feels about it when it gets released.

    If not many like it, couldn’t you just create a front-end program to control the server executable? I mean, I have accepted how it is now and don’t expect anything to change because we’ve been down that road before but if the change becomes overwhelmingly unfavorable, you might consider the option.

    #30397

    FREAK
    Participant

    Hmm…

    There needs to be a poll I think…

    #30398

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @~FREAK~ wrote:

    Hmm…

    There needs to be a poll I think…

    I would add one but because not many people have actually tested it, it wouldn’t make sense for me ask their opinion.

    #30399

    Thrax
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    @~FREAK~ wrote:

    Hmm…
    There needs to be a poll I think…

    I would add one but because not many people have actually tested it,
    it wouldn’t make sense for me ask their opinion.

    it would also be rather misleading to vote, since ‘the deed is done’..
    it’s already been recoded in this new way, and no longer contains those functions.

    The only alternate solution to this dilemma would be to put
    together a 4th exe tool.
    A Server-Manager Tool. In all appearances the same as the
    current Server-GUI, but not attached.
    An Optional GUI tool to view and manage 1 or more local-mode or remote
    servers using the control-port like the Web-admin, but hard-coded with all
    the same menus and functions as we’ve come to love.

    Thoughts?

    #30400

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @thrax wrote:

    An Optional GUI tool to view and manage 1 or more local-mode or remote
    servers using the control-port like the Web-admin, but hard-coded with all
    the same menus and functions as we’ve come to love.

    Thoughts?

    That’s kind’ve what I was suggesting above.

    #30401

    Panther
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    Well you can still use the web management interface to control the server, but there is no more integrated GUI with menus.

    I didn’t even realize there was one since I’m running it as a system service on a Windows server right now. My gaming server where it should be running however, is a Linux system (no X).

    #30402

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    @thrax wrote:

    An Optional GUI tool to view and manage 1 or more local-mode or remote
    servers using the control-port like the Web-admin, but hard-coded with all
    the same menus and functions as we’ve come to love.

    Thoughts?

    That’s kind’ve what I was suggesting above.

    Isn’t this just the same as making the web interface nicer? I don’t see the difference if it is still two seperate programs.

    #30403

    linuxfragger
    Participant

    @cbx550f wrote:

    Done for version 41.

    Note to self: Create an ebuild for Gentoo with a “dedicated” use flag for server-only install.

    Any progress with that? Porthole only showed ‘mysql’ as a potential USE flag.

    In regards to the web interface, any reason I shouldn’t be able to connect from localhost? I set the port to 99, started a server, can connect and play but can’t bring up anything in FF via http://localhost:99 or http://127.0.0.1:99

    Sorry if I’m posting something already answered.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.